Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

£20 to spend on new players - How would you spend it?

With all the talk and speculation of the take over and investment from Mr Cullum, i''m interested to find out what sort of players you think we should be looking to bring in with that sort of money available?

I have a short list of a few players below and my estimated value of them: -

DF: Martin Taylor (Birmingham, £1m)

DF: Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea, £1.5-2m)

DF: Jack Cork (Chelsea, LOAN)

DF: Callum Davenport (West Ham, £1m)

(Can''t think of any midfielders off the top of my head)

ST: Ched Evans (Man City £2.5m)

ST: Nicky Maynard (Crewe £1m)

ST: Bobby Zamora (West Ham, £2.5m)

ST: Marlon Harewood (Aston Villa, £3m)

ST: Shola Ameobi (Newcastle, £3m)

What do you guys think?

[quote user="crabman84"]

With all the talk and speculation of the take over and investment from Mr Cullum, i''m interested to find out what sort of players you think we should be looking to bring in with that sort of money available?

What do you guys think?

[/quote]

I think that you would be in serious debt if you only had twenty quid and bought all of those players!

[quote user="crabman84"]

What do you guys think?

[/quote]

I would have Taylor, Bertrand and Davenport. Then try and teach Otsemober how to defend. That gives us in my opinion by far the strongest back four in the championship. I would not have any of Harewood (or his 30k a week wages!), Ameobi or Zamora.  Would rather have Maynard and Ched Evans if possible who would both be likely to rise in capital value (remember that this would be a one off investment from Cullum) and would earn a lot less than the other stikers you mentioned.

Dont shoot me for this, but I would like Danny Haynes from Ipswich, I know we are all supposed to hate him..... but theres no denying that he is a top player at this level. I would also consider giving Eastwood a chance if its for £1 - £1.25 million.

[quote user="Steve Hopkins"]Ah the old 4-0-5 formation, a classic in its own right.

FWIW most of your suggestions are rubbish.
[/quote]

Hes not saying buy them all, why dont you read peoples posts before replying in a rude manner? He clearly stated ''shortlist'', not that he would buy 5 strikers.

Cheers for your support ryank, your correct, it was jus a few players i think that could do a great job for us.  I agree with the post above saying that Ched''s and Maynard''s stock would rise, and basically by signing these 2 we would be in a win/win situation.  I also think Eastwood be fantastic to have as the 3rd striker to come off the bench.

Also, hands ups!  I missed the ''m'' off the £20, so i suppose getting that many players with just £20 wouldn''t be too be going really!  LOL!

Can anybody think of any other players, especially centre halfs that we could realistically bring to the club?

I agree taht Mr Haynes is a top player, but i wouldn''t ever want him here at Norwich, i want players i can take to and love on a Saturday afternoon, not feel like spitting at! 

Wouldn''t go for Davenport, never that impressed with him while he was here. Casper Gorks would be cheaper and a better option alongside Taylor.

Strikers  - I would try and tempt Philips here as he would guarantee goals at this level. Ameobi if his attitude and fitness was right would be leathal in this league.

3 players very good players for less than £5 million.

With £20million being bandied about, I expect that Roeder already has his 2006/7 Rothmans year book opened up on the Newcastle United page.

what would be your top 5 players to buy with £20 million pounds that would come to this club.

1. Shola Ameobi: weve been linked with him loads and there has been no development with his move to west brom so i think if we act quick enough then weve got a decent striker ( for the championship) with us.

2.Ryan Betrand:  hull are opting to weather to make a £2 million bid for him so if we act fast then we could scapper there plans.

3. Martin Taylor: i think we could still convince him to come to norwich, he has had no intrest in him so it may be an easy buy for just £1 million. If not we could try get a player from abroad however we could make the same mistake as we did with strihavka.

4. The two youngsters released by Manchester United. They obviously have good potential as they were at united in the first place. however they have been released as they believe they are not going to develop any further.

5.Nathan Tyson. Very very quick and we could do with a bit of pace in our team.  With Crofty and now Hoolihan on the wings our strikers will get great service and with the pace of Tyson he will bang in the goals.

What are all of your top 5 possible signings.

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]What would you do with £20 million?

Have a piss up first [:D]
[/quote]

So would I after informing the other half that I''m off and telling the boss too stick his job where the sun does not shine.

just out question your team wasnt that good last season (not trying to wind you up but its fact)

now i know the likes of ched, bertrand are good, but would you want same squad which ended end last season?

realistically you wont spend 20m

but i would chase the following

lee beavers - centre back  - sheffweds 2m

joe mattock - left back - leicester 2m

rob hulse - striker - sheffutd 1m

wayne routledge - winger - villa 1m

david healy - striker - fulham 1m

peter halmosi - midfield - plymouth 2.5m

[quote user="super mick mccarthy "]

just out question your team wasnt that good last season (not trying to wind you up but its fact)

now i know the likes of ched, bertrand are good, but would you want same squad which ended end last season?

realistically you wont spend 20m

but i would chase the following

lee beavers - centre back  - sheffweds 2m

joe mattock - left back - leicester 2m

rob hulse - striker - sheffutd 1m

wayne routledge - winger - villa 1m

david healy - striker - fulham 1m

peter halmosi - midfield - plymouth 2.5m

[/quote]i was tempted to mention mattock and beavers, but they are being touted for prem, so very unlikelyas for hulse, rather not.

Okay then. 4 of the 5 strikers you mentioned are rubbish and won''t cut it in the Premiership, and the same goes for all the defenders that were mentioned. Roeder himself said that a side looking for promotion needs Premiership quality players. If we have £20M or what not, whats the point in wasting it on players that won''t cut it once we are promoted? I honestly think we should be scouting abroad, as not only will better players be cheaper, but they will also more than likely not be technically retarded like the majority of your ''shortlist.''

we wont spend 20 million even if we get it. whenever norwich have money (never) they never spend it because they always want a profit. look at all the sales of greeno, ashton, earnshaw etc etc.

[quote user="claud"]With £20million being bandied about, I expect that Roeder already has his 2006/7 Rothmans year book opened up on the Newcastle United page.[/quote]This is another great point. Roeder shouldn''t be tapping up his ''old boys'' network for scraps as it will only lead to disaster (see: Pattison). Get the scouts out (which already should have been done) and let''s get some fresh, young talent that are only going to get better.

Considering we will be under new ownership if we get the 20 million it is impossible to say but it would be far more likely that Mr Cullum would spend more than the current incumbents on players, although it wouldn''t be to difficult because they have spent very little.

Dean Gerken - Colchester - 500k

Martin Taylor  - Birmingham - £1m

Kaspar Gorkss - Blackpool - 250k

Ryan Taylor - Wigan - £1.5m

Ryan Bertrand - Chelsea - £1.5m

Billy Jones - Preston - £3.5m

Alan Gow - Rangers - 300k

Shola Ameobi - Newcastle - £3m

That is still a lot of money spent.  Would possibly ditch 1 of Tiny or Gorkss, consider a cheaper option for right back.  Stock value for Bertrand and Jones can only go higher.  Even with £20m to spend I still think it would be practical to aim at a ceiling of £6-7m.

IMO I think the little lot above would make our squad a very strong little unit.  If we were to speculate more I would rather try and unearth a gem like Maynard or Dickinson, or the kid Frecklington from Lincoln.

[quote user="crabman84"]

Also, hands ups!  I missed the ''m'' off the £20, so i suppose getting that many players with just £20 wouldn''t be too be going really!  LOL!

[/quote]

We have always managed to get away with spending close to £20 in previous pre-seasons. 

Even though we could gte 20million, why spend it all at once?? I would still try to bargain about but with better quality... Players i would believe that could realistically come to Norwich and do a good job are as follows...

Alan Gow looks set to sign...

Kevin Phillips-(750k)= West Brom will surely looks to splash cahs on a top notch striker to try and stay in premiership next year, which means phillips has little chance of first team football... at his age i would think he would be looking for a club like norwich, and with the roeder link, theres a good chance he could sign??

Martin Taylor-(1.25million)= Birmingham would sell for something over the million mark and seek to find a replacement elsewhere...

Maceo Righters or however you spell his name(750k)= Looks very unlikely Paul Ince will see him as a top striker at blackburn and may seek to cash on in him to help aim possibly signing new players himself... The player has great pace and has played in sides that like to play football, i can see him being a 15goal a season player that would link up well with another striker...

Callum Davenport-(1.5million)= Personally i would rather Taylor anyways... If Taylor couldnt be singed then Davenport could be a possible target... However a high wage demand could put Roeder totally off...

Shola Ameobi-(3million)= He is definately a striker that is capable of scoring laods of goals at championship level, However his price tag is a huge ask and you can also look at what he did at stoke... wasn''t that influential during his laon spell and this should be taken into account. Paying 3million for a striker in the championship should almost be a player you could almost GUARANTEE 20goals a season... The Robert Earnshaw type...

Rob Hulse-(1.25million)= This is a player i like very much, he to me could fit the bill perfectly, not too pricey, proven to score goals and i thought he showed that he could do a job in the premiership if we ever got there also.. so not only a championship player investment... But would his club be willing to sell him is another thing...

Rasiak of southamptop-(1.5million)= He is a very similar player to Hulse in his strength and height... both players hold ball up well and also have a good goalscoring record... I wouldnt sign both ofc but one of them at similar prices looks a good bet...

Ched Evans-(2.5million)= I dont honestly know how much he is worth but i believe that is around the sum that man city would sell him for as he is a wanted man with bags of potential... I was a huge fan of him during his loan spell... Hes young.. hungry and works incredibly hard.. However i see him going to a low placed premiership side and trying to prove himself in the premiership now he has proved in the championship...

Ryan Bertrand-(1.5million)= In my eyes this is one heck of alot of money for a player who has had a decent/good season at norwich and has yet to actually prove his real quality as he hasnt tried it at the top... However he was great for us last season and is a player i very much like, a defender with a good footballing brain that can create and maybe pop up with a goal or two every season also...

Other positions i would seek to improve but struggle to know targets for....

Goalkeeper- a good quality goalkeeper to be on bench as replacement for Marshall....Maybe an older experienced keeper who is coming to the end of his career but is still a good 2nd hand keeper... Can help progress our youth keepers with his experience...

Right back... I believe ostomobor has the credentials to be a truly solid right back... however i see his defensive attributes to be a little ''dodgy'' and it seems to be that Roeder is well aware of this and tried to improve with M.Bates from middlesborough and J.Velasco from spain...

I feel our central midfield is now a strong bunch... with russell,Fotheringham, Clinghan and hopefully Gow the first choices in my opinion... Left winger Hoolahan is hopefully a good ideal left winger replacement and will provide us with goals and assists...(However will never ever be anywhere near the quality of Hucks... he was unique)

Right wing is still a concern, i know so many fans will disagree with me on this one... I fell croft is nowhere near championship quality... he may make his trade in the lower league but his end product is shocking, never looks up to cross.. He doesnt score many goals and i just dont see what he is all about... Chadwick has a football brain that i like but his ability to beat players with pace isnt there and his weak frame looks to be a bit of a problem also im my opinion.. So a replacement there would look good... Signing 3 strikers... a goalkeeper.. right and left back... 2 centre backs seems enough for me... Seems alot but remember thats 6 players.. about 4 will be permanent and then Roeder will want atleast 4 laon signings in for more cover than i have mentioned will i welcome :D

Feel free to disagree with me or agree... i love to see other opinions from a nrowich fans point of view!!

Midfeild, fine, Goalkeeper - Warner loan (not that important though), RB - Bates £1m and Cork loan, CB - M Taylor £1.25m if poss, Gorkks £250k, Noveski £1m, Davenport £1.5m, LB Bertrand £2m, ST, Evans £3m, Ameobi £3m, Maynard £1.5m, Beckford £1.5m.Not considered abroad much tho, maybe some talent out there, but i''m not sure who''d wanna come