Sign in to follow this  
Lincs CR

Damien Francis

Notice "Dean Coney''s Arse" mention this in another forum and thought it would be interesting to hear everyone''s views!

It''s fairly certain we WOULDN''T sign him again, but I''m just intrigued as to whether the fans would have him back or not, especially after that dreadful performance away for Fulham, where, let''s face it... he was dreadful.

Not if he was the last midfielder on earth. Leavinga side his disgraceful performance at Fulham and the fact he was laughing after the final whilstle the way he forced his move was an utter disgrace. Any player who refuses to turn out for Norwich in a competitive fixture when not injured can go to hell as far as i''m concerned.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Not if he was the last midfielder on earth. Leavinga side his disgraceful performance at Fulham and the fact he was laughing after the final whilstle the way he forced his move was an utter disgrace. Any player who refuses to turn out for Norwich in a competitive fixture when not injured can go to hell as far as i''m concerned.[/quote]

Come on Jim, don`t sit on the fence over this one , mate!! [:S]

Totally agree with you

He was a good player when he was here, but let''s face it he''s not exactly set the world on fire since he left. Doubt we''d sign him anyway, but he''s definitely be a backwards step.

I wouldn''t re-sign him and only partly because of craven Cottage. There were other occasions when he did not turn up as well. Most of all, if he is so good, and his attitude improved, why is he being released?

[quote user="Salopian"]I wouldn''t re-sign him and only partly because of craven Cottage. There were other occasions when he did not turn up as well. Most of all, if he is so good, and his attitude improved, why is he being released?
[/quote]

When did anyone say he was getting released? If he was free then i''d definitely have him back.

He''s a goal scoring midfielder, he''s tall and strong, generally attributes that our current midfielders don''t have.

I''d sooner see Fabian Wilnis sign for us than Francis.

I don''t care how good a player anyone is, and frankly I didn''t rate him that highly, if they show the sort of attitude that he did, particulary at Fulham, then I''d sooner see him rot in Watford''s reserves, or where ever he plays now.

wiz, this is why few people take you seriously. you would rather see an ex player come back who didnt give a toss about what happened at fulham than give a newcomer youve never heard of? unbelievable mate.

I wouldn''t like him to come back, and not because of Fulham, because of his attitude after Fulham - no-show at training, etc.

If you had an contractor working for you in a company, who was above average (but not outstanding) at his job. Half way through the contract he wants to leave to go for a new job, and he turns round and says: he is not going to do any work, he doesn''t want to work for that company any more and he thinks he is too good for that job.  If after a couple of other contracts, he offered to come back and work for you 2 years later, would you accept him?  Probably not. 

[quote user="baldyboy"]wiz, this is why few people take you seriously. you would rather see an ex player come back who didnt give a toss about what happened at fulham than give a newcomer youve never heard of? unbelievable mate.[/quote]

And yet its okay for some people on here to want Earnshaw back baldyboy? he done us up like a kipper mate...........Damo was a classy, driving midfielder, we could do with his likes here again mate.

His attititude was poor at times,  but no more so than just about every footballer at every club,  the passion and committment shown by the likes of Hux, Cureton for a club are few and far between.  And look at hughes and cureton,  huge effort for very little impact,  although hopefully curo will come good this season...

For us he was influential,  he has not been anywhere else;  may be worth a go if he still wants it... 

Wiz, i agree with you about Earnshaw, wouldnt want him , or any other money grabbing judas back no matter whether it was even ashton!!!!!!!! people who care about this club are what we need.

Wud take Ashton back! lets not be stupid! Theres other targets i prefer to earnie, but would welcome him back, as for Francis, if he came back and playd as he did for us, hed definately be good enough for this league without a shadow of a doubt, people always bang on to me about how good Damo was for us in the prem and I agree. Forget the abject display at fulham. I''d welcome him back on a free anyday

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

His attititude was poor at times,  but no more so than just about every footballer at every club,  the passion and committment shown by the likes of Hux, Cureton for a club are few and far between.  And look at hughes and cureton,  huge effort for very little impact,  although hopefully curo will come good this season...

For us he was influential,  he has not been anywhere else;  may be worth a go if he still wants it... 

[/quote]

Sorry his attitude was considerably worse than footballers at every club. he point blank REFUSED TO PLAY for us in a pre-season game (at Colchester I think it was) in order to try and force the club to accept an offer from pompey. He effectively went on strike until he was allowed to leave. That is unforgivable and I would hope would rule out any possibility of this thick individual ever being allowed back near our club.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Damo was a classy, driving midfielder, we could do with his likes here again mate.

[/quote]

Agree with Wiz (up to a point) - and yes, we have never really replaced him. Russell, Pattison & Fotheringham do not have the drive, power or ability to score goals like Francis had. He was indeed a class above much of what we have had since, including Safri. A strong, attacking midfielder eases the burden on the strikers and the defence. But resigning him now would be signing a different player - and there must be younger and better ones out there. Clearly an attitude problem at Fulham - might have been "good" reason for it that we don''t know about - but it still wouldn''t excuse him.

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Damo was a classy, driving midfielder, we could do with his likes here again mate.

[/quote]

Agree with Wiz (up to a point) - and yes, we have never really replaced him. Russell, Pattison & Fotheringham do not have the drive, power or ability to score goals like Francis had. He was indeed a class above much of what we have had since, including Safri. A strong, attacking midfielder eases the burden on the strikers and the defence. But resigning him now would be signing a different player - and there must be younger and better ones out there. Clearly an attitude problem at Fulham - might have been "good" reason for it that we don''t know about - but it still wouldn''t excuse him.

[/quote]

Sorry but have you forgotten the goals that Russell scored for us lasy season ?

And am I imagining that our Premiership problems got a whole lot worse when Francis had that facial injury - unable to play despite trying a mask?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

I think Russell shows the same type of commitment, Goals....red cards !

Rubbish Jim!

Damien Francis was not the sole reason we lost 6-0 to Fulham.. there were 11 players against Fulham.. and apart from Ashton the other 10 rolled over and died...

and it was childish petty rumours about private lives that forced him and Leon McKenzie out of this football club... 2 good footballers, both were a large part of the reason we got promoted in the first place....

if someone made up rumours about you to the point it was affecting your private life would you sit there and take it or would u say "sod this!!! i know where im not wanted.. im of?!" i think i know what you answer would be.

At the end of the day Nigel Worthington let down both Francis and McKenzie.. if worthy had had the guts or the intelligence to go out and say publically "leave my players alone" then things might of ended up different for the players, the fans, Worthy and the club.

it needed a strong, firm hand to take stock of the situation and not for the ''pitch fork and burning toch'' crew to chase both players out of the city...

jas :) 

[quote user="C.T"]Does anybody else remember the premiership season and that game in which the commentator shouted ''my word what a goal for DAMIEN FRANCIS!'' [:)] Who was that against?[/quote]Wasn''t that when he scored both goals in our first win of the season, 2-1 at home to Southampton?I wouldn''t have him back – midfield is the one area we''ve got covered, and Gow is very highly rated so I''d rather we went for him as the final piece in our midfield jigsaw.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Rubbish Jim!

Damien Francis was not the sole reason we lost 6-0 to Fulham.. there were 11 players against Fulham.. and apart from Ashton the other 10 rolled over and died...

and it was childish petty rumours about private lives that forced him and Leon McKenzie out of this football club... 2 good footballers, both were a large part of the reason we got promoted in the first place....

if someone made up rumours about you to the point it was affecting your private life would you sit there and take it or would u say "sod this!!! i know where im not wanted.. im of?!" i think i know what you answer would be.

At the end of the day Nigel Worthington let down both Francis and McKenzie.. if worthy had had the guts or the intelligence to go out and say publically "leave my players alone" then things might of ended up different for the players, the fans, Worthy and the club.

it needed a strong, firm hand to take stock of the situation and not for the ''pitch fork and burning toch'' crew to chase both players out of the city...

jas :) 

[/quote]

I agree he was not the sole reason we lost at Fulham but what i objected to was that whilst other players at least had the sense and good nature to look a bit sheepish after the final whistle (and in some cases devastated) Francis was having a laugh and a joke and di not look in the leats bit concerned.

My main gripe with him though is that he went on strike and refused to play when selected. Any player that does that should be out of the club straight away as far as I am concerned.