Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Norwich to bid 1 million for Carroll?

According to the Daily Star we are to bid 1 million pounds for Newcastle striker Carroll.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=98012

Norwich to bid for Newcastle striker Carroll

tribalfootball.com - June 12, 2008

Norwich City boss Glenn Roeder is ready to make a bid for Newcastle United striker Andy Carroll.

The Daily Star says Norwich will launch a £1m bid for the England U19 international centre-forward.

Another player that I''d never heard of until we were linked with him.  His record suggests that he is not the answer to our goal-scoring problems.  Unfortunately this is the type of player we will end up with. I''d be disappointed - but then I usually am.

Carroll is very highly rately and often compared to Crouch, however he didn''t hugely impress while at Preston (although Chris Brown has, it''s a funny old game). Think he is certainly worth a million, especially as we need a target man and would be nice to have some good young players, rather than the average bunch we have at the moment, or aging veterans.

Saw him in action when he first broke through into Newcastle''s first team squad a few season''s back (possibly when Roeder was in charge?) and he seemed to have everything there but still need some developing.  He is young and has that magical word ''potential''.  If he does come here its all about trying to make sure he realises that potential.

He could be a good signing, but then who really knows.

Ask yourself this, is he goog enough to push us into a promotion place? Answer....NO!! So why buy him when theres better strikers out there. If you really have to buy him...1m is at least 600k out of range if you think of Joe Lewis who was sold for 400k and called up to the Main English squad.

I''d save the cash and not just splash. If this is the kind of player we''ve all waited months to see brought in...then only God help us!!!

[quote user="Steelsilver"]

Ask yourself this, is he goog enough to push us into a promotion place? Answer....NO!! So why buy him when theres better strikers out there. If you really have to buy him...1m is at least 600k out of range if you think of Joe Lewis who was sold for 400k and called up to the Main English squad.

I''d save the cash and not just splash. If this is the kind of player we''ve all waited months to see brought in...then only God help us!!!

[/quote]

Clearly you are a glass half empty kind of person?

If you think that goalkeepers and strikers are valued in the same way then you clearly do not know much.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]

[/quote]

Get over Joe Lewis leaving, can people not understand that he had no chance of actually playing for England. At the time he had no proven championship experience and was simply called up to the squad to bed him in for the future. Therefore you never know, the same could happen with Carroll. So bloody negative.

I think he would be a good signing, maybe not as exciting as Ameobi but certainly fitter and cheaper.

He''s a better target man then Ameobi, he''s 6ft 3/4. Plus Buffon was very impressed by him during there pre-season friendly last season, where Carroll scored past him. Sounds like a very good prospect to me.

At the end of the day, none of us are professional football managers. From what I know (only his record at Preston), I''d say he''s not worth £1m, but I''ve never seen him play like most of us.

Glenn and his scouts know what to look for in a good player, and they know players value. (even tho this is just another rumour)

Good Luck Glenn. Go get us some heroes (or at least some decent players who have bags of potentential).

If you were manager of City, would you pay 1m for him? It''s easy sitting in yur armchair crying out buy buy buy when its not your money you''re dealing with....and for a 1 goal per 11 match striker this = very very bad value. Thats 4 goals per season based on that performance. If there was any potential ...why is he so far down the order at his current club? They wrong? answer is no...he is no better then the Brown that left recently...or the Martin that we currently have.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]The Daily Star?..................says it all really.[:S][/quote]

If it''s the star then sure our good friend Camuldonum will know more.  CD, can you shed any light ?

[quote user="Steelsilver"]If you were manager of City, would you pay 1m for him? It''s easy sitting in yur armchair crying out buy buy buy when its not your money you''re dealing with....and for a 1 goal per 11 match striker this = very very bad value. Thats 4 goals per season based on that performance. If there was any potential ...why is he so far down the order at his current club? They wrong? answer is no...he is no better then the Brown that left recently...or the Martin that we currently have.[/quote]

If i was out manager, I would know more about him, which I don''t. With my current knowledge of him, no, he''s no worth £1m. But Roeders not going to bid £1m for a player he could get for £300k is he? (No being the answer)

I wonder what happened to Rigters story, thats all gone quiet recently

[quote user="Steelsilver"]This is all hypothetical cause i believe Derby will get him anyway[/quote]

So, we sign him, you''ll moan he was too much.

We don''t sign him, you''ll moan we missed out.

Oh well. Keep smiling :-)

[quote user="Steelsilver"]If you were manager of City, would you pay 1m for him? It''s easy sitting in yur armchair crying out buy buy buy when its not your money you''re dealing with....and for a 1 goal per 11 match striker this = very very bad value. Thats 4 goals per season based on that performance. If there was any potential ...why is he so far down the order at his current club? They wrong? answer is no...he is no better then the Brown that left recently...or the Martin that we currently have.[/quote]Yes, I would. Steel, how many games did he play for preston? He''s far down the list at Newcastle because Newcastle buy lots of strikers and managers - simple really. You can''t possibly compare him to Chris Brown or '' the Martin '' we currently have.  You my boy are a little cretinous...did you see your picture? probably did but just ran away huh?! x

one mill for a striker is cheap these days. if people think we are going to sign a proven goalscorer for less than 2.5 mill then they are deluded. why do people say we should sign paterson rather than carroll, hes from a prem side so is a better prospect surely. alternatively we could sign noone and start with martin and cureton up front? now that is a great thought.....

I wish people would stop moaning about him not being a proven goal scorer. Lets face the facts - we have one established striker who lets face it, didn''t impress as much as we expected in Cureton. Apart from that...thats it for established strikers.

We need around 3 strikers in this window and to be honest you''re not going to sign an established goal scorer this early on. Just because our first striker if we sign him isn''t a proven goal scorer doesn''t mean its the wrong signing, and at age 19 i would be very surprised if he had a consistent goal scoring record.

Lets cut Roeder and the young lad some slack.

And please stop moaning about us lining up a bid or a "poor" striker, you moan that we havent made any yet...make up you''re minds.

he won an award at newcastle last year as best prospect of something... i think 1 million is pure tabloid talk written by someone who knows ery little about the ins and outs of football...

i''d expect 400k with add ons up to 800k plus a sell on...

[quote user="Stevee Wonder"]

[quote user="Steelsilver"]This is all hypothetical cause i believe Derby will get him anyway[/quote]

So, we sign him, you''ll moan he was too much.

We don''t sign him, you''ll moan we missed out.

Oh well. Keep smiling :-)

[/quote]

Yup, that in a nutshell is pretty much how this Board works.  It seems for some people that those who go elsewhere we have either missed out on or are great prospects, those we sign are rubbish and/or overpriced (but usually both).

Even the fact that he is an England u-19 player (scored 4 in 8) will be used both ways - it will either prove we have missed out on a great player (for if/when he goes elsewhere), or that this sort of thing makes no difference as Ryan Jarvis also played for them and was pants (for if/when we sign him).

IMO the market generally decides the fees paid - if he is under contract you need to offer enough for them to be willing to sell. £1m for this guy is probably a basic + add-ons and he may be a bargain, he might not - only time would tell.  But just because we''ve not heard from him doesn''t make him either.  However, given that Roeder/Clark have seen him close up and know what he is about, perhaps we should trust their judgement?

Yes, 11 games for 1 goal at Preston is far from stunning, but then Brown played many more games for us scoring just once, and was then a success at Preston on signing for c£450k - so that doesn''t really prove a great deal. 

Hes the cheap unproven option for a club with not enough balls to go for Ameobi.