Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Glory Years - Your memories

when i became a fan.....not sure of the year l8t 80s early 90s i think...but i was very young..7/8yrs old... was watching norwich getting battered by man utd 3:0 with about 10 minutes left....bang a goal( kevin drinkle) then i cant remember who got the second...3:2 with second remaining..then up popped drinkle again 3:3  i was hooked....NCFC TIL I DIE

First thing that came out: Teamwork and team spirits.  What a great team Walker built!  I watched may be 4-5 games live that season in Thailand including the Bayern game.  Anyway, I still put season 88/89 under Stringer on top of my glorious memory, don''t know why.  Too bad we were banned otherwise ..........   

For me coming out of Villa Park and realy believing we could win the league

Also my 4 hour journey home after Bayern Munich, I followed a car with a city scarf out the window all the way back to Kidderminster (180miles) only to fid out that he lived 500 yards down my road

It has to be standing in the centre pen in the Barclay when Bruce got that header to beat the scum. Everyone went mental it was fantastic. My trainer had come off but i didnt care i was so happy.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

We plan to run a feature on two particular season from Norwich City''s past - 1958/59 and 1992/93.

Any of Goss''s goals in our European adventure

One of the pages in this feature will contain your memories from those seasons and we''d be most grateful if you could post your messages of what you remember from either the ''59 Cup run or the 92/93 third-place finish.

Many thanks!

[/quote]

[quote user="The Truth Seeker"][quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

We plan to run a feature on two particular season from Norwich City''s past - 1958/59 and 1992/93.

Any of Goss''s goals in our European adventure

One of the pages in this feature will contain your memories from those seasons and we''d be most grateful if you could post your messages of what you remember from either the ''59 Cup run or the 92/93 third-place finish.

Many thanks!

[/quote][/quote]

Any of Goss''s goals in our European Adventure, pure class

Definitely Gossy scoring against Bye Bye Munich at Carra.......knocked it in - and then ran to his mum in the front of the City Stand.....MAGIC!

[quote user="Fuglestad"]One of my favourite memories from the 92/93 season was John Polston scoring in a 1-0 victory over Villa at Carrow Road, It was between us, Villa and United at the time. Sadly, this pretty much put Manchester United on course to win the title. I believe Polston''s son was born the same day too. Also a trademark Gossy volley against Leeds, I think we won 4-0 or 4-1.
[/quote]

That Villa game was quite possibly the most tense an atmosphere I have felt at Carrow Road. The noise was immense. The out-poring of tension and relief when Polston scored (83rd minute or something like that) was incredible.

Didn''t Manure turn up a week (or so) later and trounce us 3-1? This was the game when Cantona back heeled JP in full view of everyone bar the ref!

Wasn''t 1992 also the year that Sky''s Monday night coverage started? We were up first against Forest. It didn''t take long to banish the memory of the crap ''live'' music (was it D-Ream or someone equally as poor, on a stage in the centre circle pretending to play instruments and sing without one electrical lead going to the stage) as Crooky bent in a free kick from outside the box in the first 5 minutes.

Nigel Clough equalised, but we ended up winning 3-1.

The most emotional moment of the season for me was the match at White Hart Lane. Just over a week earlier, we had gone top again, for what turned out to be the last time, by beating Villa. Then the wheels came off with that 3-1 defeat by Man Utd. I was convinced that at least two of their three goals in that mad spell were offside, but there we are. Four days later, on Good Friday, we went down to Spurs, really needing to win to stay in contention. In a match almost as traumatising as the game at Craven Cottage over ten years later, we found ourselves 0-5 down, all hope of the title gone, all dreams shattered. Someone (Efan Ekoku, I think) scored a consolation goal and the whole of the away end erupted into one last defiant  cry of "We''re going to win the League".  It was like an epitaph for the season: all our hopes had died, but pride in what that wonderful team had achieved was still intact.

[quote user="claud"]

[quote user="Fuglestad"]One of my favourite memories from the 92/93 season was John Polston scoring in a 1-0 victory over Villa at Carrow Road, It was between us, Villa and United at the time. Sadly, this pretty much put Manchester United on course to win the title. I believe Polston''s son was born the same day too. Also a trademark Gossy volley against Leeds, I think we won 4-0 or 4-1.[/quote]

That Villa game was quite possibly the most tense an atmosphere I have felt at Carrow Road. The noise was immense. The out-poring of tension and relief when Polston scored (83rd minute or something like that) was incredible.

Didn''t Manure turn up a week (or so) later and trounce us 3-1? This was the game when Cantona back heeled JP in full view of everyone bar the ref!

[/quote]that just brought the hairs up on my neck.........I remember being at the Villa game and like you say you could cut the atmosphere with a knife. Polstons goal was something special........and yes 3-1 with Robins with the consolation.........they ripped our defence to shreads in a matter of minutes

[quote user="Messiah"]I queued for hours to get my Inter ticket.

Penalty my ass!
[/quote]

sorry but it was a clear penalty! Newman almos killed Rueben sosa!

some great memories though!

91/92

Suttons Header vs the Saints in the FA Cup 1/4 final replay... still my all time favourite moment.. magical stuff!

92/93

Polly vs the Villa, the goals of Robins and Ekoku...

what did us in that season was the defeat at poorman road.. we beat Villa, lost to Man utd then went to Ipswich.. it was make or break.. if we''d beaten them we''d of won the league with a win over Leeds, Liverpool and a draw with boro... they beat us and thats what did it.. i think we lost 5-1 to spurs after losing to the scum too... Ekoku got his 1st ever goal for us.. but by then the players had given up somewhat.

I always Remeber Gunny coming back for the match against QPR after the death of baby Francesca, and the standing ovation he got at the end of the game from QPR and Norwich fans... i also remember the QPR players, especially Darren Peackock, wishing Gunny well.

93/94

the whole european run! listening to us come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 at old trafford on the radio too!

jas :)

[quote user="claud"]

[quote user="Fuglestad"]One of my favourite memories from the 92/93 season was John Polston scoring in a 1-0 victory over Villa at Carrow Road, It was between us, Villa and United at the time. Sadly, this pretty much put Manchester United on course to win the title. I believe Polston''s son was born the same day too. Also a trademark Gossy volley against Leeds, I think we won 4-0 or 4-1.[/quote]

[/quote]I don''t want to be picky but the game where Cantona backheeled Polsten was an FA Cup game the following season.

My golden memory was yesterday when I thought the Cullum deal was back on!  

(sorry)

[quote user="claud"]

Wasn''t 1992 also the year that Sky''s Monday night coverage started? We were up first against Forest. It didn''t take long to banish the memory of the crap ''live'' music (was it D-Ream or someone equally as poor, on a stage in the centre circle pretending to play instruments and sing without one electrical lead going to the stage) as Crooky bent in a free kick from outside the box in the first 5 minutes.

Nigel Clough equalised, but we ended up winning 3-1.

[/quote]

I was there too, and the Chelsea match on Sky, more great memories.  I''ve got the highlights of the season and Andy Gray''s commentary on Chippy''s goal is classic..."Look at the lovely bend on that ball".  That was a season, and a squad to remember, and I wonder how long it will be until we can say that again?

I can''t quite remember which one, but that Andy Gray quote was immortalised on an early football manager game. I think it may have been an Amiga game around that time.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Messiah"]I queued for hours to get my Inter ticket.Penalty my ass![/quote]

sorry but it was a clear penalty! Newman almos killed Rueben sosa!

some great memories though!

[/quote]Look, both you and I know that Rob Newman merely tickled him. Speaking of Rob Newman in our first prem league season: I always remember the commentator saying when we played Forest at home...... "Newman, chests it down for Phillips, Phillips scooooooores! with a right-foot-rasper!"Always makes me smile.

I was there and aged 7 when we drew with Bayern to knock them out - my god, what a day, that is probably my fondest childhood  memory - i got the day off school to travel over to the fair city too (from Birmingham). i will never forget that feeling when the final whistle blew - absolutely incredible moment. i also have recollections of beating forest to go top of the Prem and chants of "we are top of the league" ringing out for what seemed like hours!!