Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

This Forum Has Become A Copycat

Since the decision was made to allow instant posting this forum has become nothing but a virtual copycat of "Wrath Of The Barclay" ( with expletives a little less blatant ), a site that I used to check out once in a while to see if I was missing something. I wasn''t. The desire for me to click into this forum is rapidly waning. Yes, I know it''s off-season, things will get more exciting some will say when the new season gets underway. I''m not so sure. I''ve observed the WOTB when the season is in full mode, and it didn''t impress me then anymore than this site does now. Just another reminder for me that, sometimes, one should call a check on what we wish for in life. It would be a shame to see something that was really quite enjoyable vanish into a memory. I hope I''m wrong, but I fear the worst. 

I agree with you Yankee.

Things have gone downhill rapidly.

Why would anyone wish to post only if one can

see one''s post appear immediately? Answer that and you start to get to the root of the problem.

I vote for the return of the moderated format asap.

Are you listening Archant?

OTBC

I''m not sure I agree YC.There''s a lot of drivel being posted at the minute but I honestly think things will improve once we start to see some signings and then again once the season starts. The biggest problem at the minute is that there''s not an awful lot to talk about.I think Pete is trying to weed out some of the more annoying posters (The Muppets didn''t last long for instance) and once things settle down I think we''ll be almost back to normal. Give it time Yankee, it would be a shame if one of our experienced posters decided this place wasn''t worth the hassle anymore.You can bugger off though Bly [:P]

I agree Yankee and like you I wished for an unmoderated forum and am regretting my wishes. It used to be an enjoyable place to visit but now its fulll of meaningless simular threads and silly posts many of which have nothing to do with our club. A lot of the regulars have now left and if it continues like this I guess a lot more people, myself included ,willl do the same.

Such a shame because I used to love this place and the characters on here.

This forum has always been blighted by the little clique of regular posters who seem to think it exists just for them. I have often posted thoughtful, constructive posts only for the regulars to gang up wtih their "you numpty", "you moron" intolerance and this was going on well before the mods disappeared. And, dare to criticise a regular''s post, however constructively, and the regular''s "friends" swarm around like irritated and nasty little wasps to show solidarity with "you numpty" etc etc My participation on this forum started to wane a long time ago and I''m only on here n ow because I am waiting for my partner before going out and I am killing time having already checked my emails.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I''m not sure I agree YC.

There''s a lot of drivel being posted at the minute but I honestly think things will improve once we start to see some signings and then again once the season starts. The biggest problem at the minute is that there''s not an awful lot to talk about.

I think Pete is trying to weed out some of the more annoying posters (The Muppets didn''t last long for instance) and once things settle down I think we''ll be almost back to normal. Give it time Yankee, it would be a shame if one of our experienced posters decided this place wasn''t worth the hassle anymore.

You can bugger off though Bly [:P]

[/quote]

A pity you don''t value diversity Shacks. So.............

[:P]

[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="cityangel"]

I agree Yankee and like you I wished for an unmoderated forum and am regretting my wishes. It used to be an enjoyable place to visit but now its fulll of meaningless simular threads and silly posts many of which have nothing to do with our club. A lot of the regulars have now left and if it continues like this I guess a lot more people, myself included ,willl do the same.

Such a shame because I used to love this place and the characters on here.

[/quote]

I partially agree with that Angel. There do seem to be a lot Newbies posting one liners these days but do we really want to back to the times when it took hours for your post to be moderated? It was sometimes impossible to maintain an interest in a thread when you didn''t get a reply for ages.

Personally I think the unmoderated board is a good thing. The main problem is that there is just not much happening in the world of NCFC. People were expecting a flurry of action but as usual it''s as dead as a Dod at this time of year.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I agree with you Yankee.

see one''s post appear immediately? Answer that and you start to get to the root of the problem.

OTBC

[/quote]

I was most shocked when I made my first post here and was notified that I would have to wait for moderation. I had never come across something as antiquated as that before (and I''ve been using t''internet from day one).

The problem here is Moderation, or simply lack of it, the Guys at Archant probably have proper jobs to do rather than babysit this Forum. The majority of other Forums usually have volunteer Moderators who basically uphold the rules and t&cs of the Board.

You need fair, level-headed, intelligent people to fill these roles, so that''s why it would never work here [:P] .

Yankee and Angel,

Totally agree with you both, you are probably two of the most thoughtful and constructive posters in this forum and I feel your comments should be heeded and acted upon.

As regards similarity to WOTB, you are correct Yankee, after only five responses to this thread BBB and Shack have used it as an opportunity for sniping at each other, very WOTB like if I may say so.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I agree with you Yankee.

OTBC

[/quote]

I was most shocked when I made my first post here and was notified that I would have to wait for moderation. I had never come across something as antiquated as that before (and I''ve been using t''internet from day one).

The problem here is Moderation, or simply lack of it, the Guys at Archant probably have proper jobs to do rather than babysit this Forum. The majority of other Forums usually have volunteer Moderators who basically uphold the rules and t&cs of the Board.

You need fair, level-headed, intelligent people to fill these roles, so that''s why it would never work here [:P] .

[/quote]

Quite frankly, Bunny, I think that our mods were all of that and more.

Why have another ''Wrath'' . Variety is the spice of life surely. Both approaches have their strong points.

OTBC

I see very little difference between this and the old moderated board, to be perfectly frank. The quality of posts has always varied between excellent and extremely poor and I see no reason why this should ever change - unless there is a sudden influx of top-notch journalists, diarists and novelists contributing with posts, of course.

The level of profanities has inevitably increased a bit - but not by much - and there always have been plenty of insults and name-calling flying around. Keep it as it is, everything will be alright.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

Yankee and Angel,

Totally agree with you both, you are probably two of the most thoughtful and constructive posters in this forum and I feel your comments should be heeded and acted upon.

As regards similarity to WOTB, you are correct Yankee, after only five responses to this thread BBB and Shack have used it as an opportunity for sniping at each other, very WOTB like if I may say so.

[/quote]

Good natured sniping took place on the old moderated system, and you well know it Jim.

It''s a question of balance.

It''s not a question of  a ''Church social'' versus ''When the pubs close''.

It''s a need for reasoned posts, competing opinions, strong debate  and sharp repartee.

OTBC

This forum has always been blighted by the little clique of regular posters who seem to think it exists just for them. I have often posted thoughtful, constructive posts only for the regulars to gang up wtih their "you numpty", "you moron" intolerance and this was going on well before the mods disappeared.

Agree with wake up and smell the coffe, at times this forum has been like sitting in the City Stand, if you haven''t been here for years  you are somehow looked down apart as not part of the real Board.

I have seen some garbage posted on here, and because of who originanlly posted it the replies run to a dozen pages, other more interesting/original posts vanish off the screen because the regulars don''t look/reply as it;s not by a member of "their club". Viva instant posts, free speech, democracy, and if you don''t like it set up an alternative or use the off button.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

This forum has always been blighted by the little clique of regular posters who seem to think it exists just for them. I have often posted thoughtful, constructive posts only for the regulars to gang up wtih their "you numpty", "you moron" intolerance and this was going on well before the mods disappeared.

Agree with wake up and smell the coffe, at times this forum has been like sitting in the City Stand, if you haven''t been here for years  you are somehow looked down apart as not part of the real Board.

I have seen some garbage posted on here, and because of who originanlly posted it the replies run to a dozen pages, other more interesting/original posts vanish off the screen because the regulars don''t look/reply as it;s not by a member of "their club". Viva instant posts, free speech, democracy, and if you don''t like it set up an alternative or use the off button.

[/quote]

In a nutshell, Barclay Boy.

There are certainly some lovely old boys on here. Surely this cliquishness is symptomatic of being very Naarfulk - it takes about one hundred years to accept any newcomers. "Oi dunt noo ''im - oi doont think oi wanna gitta noo ''im oither."  Before I''m attacked for being a pseudo-cockney or a scummer, a moron, or whatever, I have to add that I''m Norfolk born and bred myself.

There''s also far too many wannabee wizards on here now.............it can be funy sometimes but mostly, it can get confusing for posters.........and we all know there is really only one true wizard!.[:D]

I ma with Jaundiced Jock on this one - things are bound to take a bit of time to settle down as people get used to the new opportunities and responsibilities of being on an unmoderated board. 

One of the main reasons for the spate of daft threads currently is there sod all else to discuss - witness the hoolihan signing saga as a classic example.  In the absence of any facts wind up merchants and fantasists have had a field day.  But the majority of what they posted would have got through moderation in the old days (admitted though the lack of instant posting might have discouraged them from putting it up in the first place).  Lets not forgot most of their source material has been other boards, so this is not a problem unique to the Pink Un. 

As for posters sniping at and picking on each other - well that is a fact of life on any message board anywhere, and at least on here it is almost always good natured and fairly low level.  I have seen examples of threats of violence on other boards and I dont know of anything like that here.  By and large those doing the sniping seem to be ok with it and apart from a few long running fueds (see above for a classic example!) it seems differences are forgotten and grudges not borne.  Besides some of the fueds can be very entertaining.

The thing that I do worry about since full moderation went is the libelous nature of some posts, more often put their out of lack of thought or simple stupidity rather than malicious intent.  I am thinking of specualtion about players actions and labelling of certain people as paedophiles.  But actually the mods sorted much of this out very quickly and from other posts it seems warnings and bans were handed out so the system works I guess.

Even in the old moderated days school hols and the close season were a nightmare of one time posters and drivel so lets not fall in the trap of viewing the past through rose tinted specs guys.  I still think speed of debate is better than the delay of moderation but it does require maturity from users and I can understand why CA/YC etc get frustrated at the behaviour of some and it is sad to think our thoughtful posters may post less as a result.  Truth is all boards will change and evolve and some will not like it and vote with their feet, but ultimately other regulars will emerge to take their place though - thats life.  Please dont take that as a request to go though guys!

I would not want to see member mods either - anyone who would want to be one should automatically be excluded for the very reason that they want the job.  That road potentially leads to even worse cliqueyness (is that a word?).  I think our current background team do an excellent job and should be left to carry on.

And the reality is that unmoderated is I imagine much cheaper for Archant and so I doubt they will be going back any time soon!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]There''s also far too many wannabee wizards on here now.............it can be funy sometimes but mostly, it can get confusing for posters.........and we all know there is really only one true wizard!.[:D][/quote]

100% agreed Wiz (thats twice in a week, must start taking the tablets again).  Something ought to be done to prevent people being able to copy other users names and avatars as that seems only be done out of deliberate intent to give offence. 

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

[/quote]

We had ''an alternative'' and it''s being converted into a duplicate ''Wrath''. Duh.

It''s all becoming rather like the High Street. If you''ve seen one, you''ve seen them all.

Democracy is about variety, not about ''free speech'' for vomiters and incontinents.

OTBC

It''s a need for reasoned posts, competing opinions, strong debate  and sharp repartee.

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly, if  you consider "bugger off" and pants dropping caricatures as "sharp repartee" or "competing opinions" then you prove my point, very WOTB ish !

IMHO of course.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Bly, if  you consider "bugger off" and pants dropping caricatures as "sharp repartee" or "competing opinions" then you prove my point, very WOTB ish !

IMHO of course.

[/quote]

So Jim, I should have turned the other cheek I suppose?

IYHO of course.

IMHO it depends upon the context.

OTBC

I quite like it here now, its a little bit more positive and we don''t have to wait for an age to get our post up. More people on here posting can not be a bad thing, we can''t always live on the usual 20 or so posters, not saying that is wrong, but its nice to have different view points.

Its only a message board.  You''d be hard pressed these days to find a board anywhere on the net,  with this amount of members who all have a ''Mary Whitehouse'' attitude.  Fair enough I agree that the odd idiot who just says F...off  F...off just for effect is annoying, but just ignore them and they go away.  You get that walking down the street,  if users ignored fools more,  that''d clear alot of the problems up.

IYHO of course.

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you turned/showed both cheeks Bly, ha ha.

Anyway ''nuff said I''m in danger of steadily becoming the very thing I''m complaining about, sorry.

Bye, Bye

[quote user="Thirst Wizard"]Its only a message board.  You''d be hard pressed these days to find a board anywhere on the net,  with this amount of members who all have a ''Mary Whitehouse'' attitude.  Fair enough I agree that the odd idiot who just says F...off  F...off just for effect is annoying, but just ignore them and they go away.  You get that walking down the street,  if users ignored fools more,  that''d clear alot of the problems up.
[/quote]

Indeed, the forum may have the extra idiot or two, but if you ignore them they go away. If you react they continue. Simple as that really.

I think things are fine at the moment, but lets judge when we actually have something to talk about.

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

IYHO of course.

OTBC

[/quote]

I think you turned/showed both cheeks Bly, ha ha.

Anyway ''nuff said I''m in danger of steadily becoming the very thing I''m complaining about, sorry.

Bye, Bye

[/quote]

Touche, Jim.

Now that wasn''t really all that bad was it?

OTBC

I am new to this board but I have been part of sports forums on American sites for years and I can certainly see both points being made here. I started posting on NFL sites when they were comparitively small and enjoyed the small community feel, however needs change, and the creators of the sites encouraged more traffic and exposure to lure advertisements and revinure to cover their time and costs..........with more posters came a new inlux of younger people and a more "instinctive" posting style and almost 100% increase in flaming and name calling.I know that on several occassions I looked into finding other sites but for the love of my teams and fellow posting friends I decided to evolve with the site! If you don''t like the threads or comments from certain posters.........don''t reply but try and enjoy this forum for the love of Norwich City.........I for one love this forum after finding it, most of you seem like lovely, good willed lads and lasses. Things evolve sadly but maybe we should try and evolve with them.

The only changes I can see are there are a lot more posts - due to not having to wait hours to see your posts go through the moderation process. Yes, a few threads are of nothing much to do with the club, but every messageboard seems to be the same, though some have separate areas.

The bitching and sniping has always been here, as those on here during the Worthy Out time can testify to. People join from time to time, some find it''s not for them and leave. I don''t think the Pink Un is unique in that aspect. For me it''s greatest asset is the likes of Mello, Ardee and Yankee for comedy value. What''s happened to Rudolph though, sadly missed. I also read all posts from Mr Carrow, Bunny and Fat Prophet for the more financial aspects of what''s going on in the club and also really enjoy Chicken''s posts.

I visit and post on many other sites and still prefer this one to those others, everything is relative and personal I guess.

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]

The only reason I''d want the forum moderated again is because I can''t keep up with the amount of posts when I browse the forum.

[/quote]

Would agree with that NV... there is now 20 times more dross to trundle through to find a decent post and many threads that are just repeating the same old ground (threads that would of ben tied in to one thread by the mods in the good ol'' days).

oh and I never knew that you cared so much CA??? [:$]

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[/quote]I''d hardly call that sniping Jim. I was just messing and I think Bly took it in the nature it was intended.