Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Doherty turns down new contract

[quote user="Houston Canary"] Almost any time there is a comment denigrating Doherty, people pile on about what a great player he is, [/quote]

I know, and this thread is such a perfect example of that  [;)]

So would you agree that such comments are usually in response to people slagging him off? My experience is that Doherty conversations usually start with people saying he is to blame for all NCFC''s ills, then some people respond by saying that we tend to concede fewer goals when he is in the side. The most extreme comment I have seen is people claiming he is our best defender. But given his competition is basically Jason Shackell, even that doesn''t count as idolatry. For what it''s worth, I think he gets a hard time because he looks like a terrible player - ungainly, balding, ginger. And he has this touching belief that he can shell 70-yard passes out to Huckerby, which almost always end up in the Jarrold stand. But, on the basis of this season, he is better in the air than Shackell, his positioning is better than Pearce''s, his distribution is better than Dion''s. It''s not a great comment on our club that he is our best defender, but I think he probably is. I''ll repeat - I''d like to keep him, then sign two centre backs who are better than him.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I can''t be bothered to dig around for comments from Doherty fans, but there are plenty of them. 

[/quote]I can''t be bothered to find WMDs. I''ll just invade.Only joking. I know how much you like ''humor''.

Wait a minute. So we should get rid of hux because he frees up wages but not doherty because he''ll be our 4th choice defender? Doherty will be on a lot more in comparison to players of his ability then hux would be on compared to the likes of what hoolahan will probably sign for. I really am at a loss. Doherty was still being paid premiership wages last season. I very much doubt his wage would have tumbled by that much and he''s holding out for more? Why don''t we just let him go and get somebody in for the wages we''d release...

[quote user="Fellas"]Wait a minute. So we should get rid of hux because he frees up wages but not doherty because he''ll be our 4th choice defender? Doherty will be on a lot more in comparison to players of his ability then hux would be on compared to the likes of what hoolahan will probably sign for. I really am at a loss. Doherty was still being paid premiership wages last season. I very much doubt his wage would have tumbled by that much and he''s holding out for more? Why don''t we just let him go and get somebody in for the wages we''d release...
[/quote]

Well thats my viewpoint. Keep him for the right amount. If not then we can get rid. As you point out, I see him a 3rd choice defender at best, and we shouldnt be paying him bench prices. Unfortunaetly im not clued up on the wage structure at the club!

Urgh, riddled with mistakes. What I meant to say was we should have him as 3rd choice as best, and therefore we shouldnt pay him first-choice wages. If thats what he demands then get rid.

I can''t be bothered to find WMDs. I''ll just invade.- Roberta N. LiM

We haven''t had 18 resolutions from the UN ignored yet regarding finding Doherty comments, have we?  So I do not agree that Blair was wrong in attacking Saddam Hussein''s evil government.  He has a sack, unlike Chamberlain.

Hey, I just noticed.  His name is like Homer Simpson''t annoyed grunt!  D''OHerty.

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"]

[quote user="Beaker"]Gary Doherty is in no position to choose how much money he gets[/quote]

Yes he is. I think a lot of clubs in this division would happily take him on a free and pay him whatever he''s on now, if not more. Admittedly he was signed before the Premier League season so probably one of our highest earners.

[/quote]

Agree with you GC, Doherty was steady this year in a poor side,where our midfield was regularly overrun putting the defence under extra pressure, was better and more reliable than Shackell on most occasions. That said - Tiny is better than the pair of them!

"He also never f*cked about with the ball, scored plenty of goals and was a natural born leader with the respect of the players and the fans. He also had better hair."

I agree with that, Malky was someone who came up with the goods in big games, like the play offs against Wolves. Doc goes missing in the big games. I don''t think Doc is bad at dealing with balls coming into the box and isn''t bad cover at CB, but he can''t pass to save his life and the way he holds on to players so obviously, for everyone in the stadium to see just annoys me.

OTBC

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]Get real, we''re in no position to be getting rid of any first team player. Let alone a relatively decent central defender.[/quote]

At last some common sense spoken!

I''d agree thats Docs not a wonder player like some Norwich fans think he should be, (lets face it if he was he wouldn''t be playing for us!) but hes a very capable Championship defender on his day and always unfairly made the scapegoat when in reality for a long spell after Taylor left he was very impressive apart from scoring goals!

The same goes for all the people who suggest that Cureton should be leaving. Comon we''ve only got him and the ''Beccles Brawler'' Chris ''I''ve made it'' Martin up front at the moment so it''d be stupid letting Cureton go!

The size of the squad makes the decision to let Hucks go look even more ridiculous!

Re: Doherty turns down new contract.....

It looks possible, that Fotheringham is also likely to.....turn down a new contract.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

It looks possible, that Fotheringham is also likely to.....turn down a new contract.

[/quote]It''s a bit silly of Roeder to make the club captain sweat over a new contract, to be honest.  Should have signed him up in April (should have made all his senior pro contract decisions in April).  There seems no benefit in the way he''s managed this.

Chops - Agreed. My housemates an arsenal fan, and apparently Flamini has come out as saying if they offered a contract earlier he would probably have signed. But waiting until the contract is weeks away from expiring isnt the best way to do business.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

It''s a bit silly of Roeder to make the club captain sweat over a new contract, to be honest.  Should have signed him up in April (should have made all his senior pro contract decisions in April).  There seems no benefit in the way he''s managed this.

[/quote]

Exactly, Fozzy, Doc and Hucks should have these conversations weeks ago, leaving it this late was always going to mean trouble.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

It''s a bit silly of Roeder to make the club captain sweat over a new contract, to be honest.  Should have signed him up in April (should have made all his senior pro contract decisions in April).  There seems no benefit in the way he''s managed this.

[/quote]

Exactly, Fozzy, Doc and Hucks should have these conversations weeks ago, leaving it this late was always going to mean trouble.

[/quote]

What trouble?

You ain''t seen trouble yet, Angel.

The club ain''t got no money.

Remember shoestrings...............?

You watch and see.

OTBC

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Never took to Doherty, mainly because the board sanctioned £750,00 for him but wouldnt pay 1m for Crouch. Good riddeence to the bald prat.[/quote]

I couldn''t be arsed to read the whole thread to see if this has already

been said, but I just realised if we had signed Crouch and things had

gone a little better on the whole (you have to use your imagination a

bit here), we could (potentially), maybe have had Crouch and Ashton up

front and Huckerby (in his prime) on the left with Bently (injury free)

on the right!

But, if we''d had Crouch would we have signed Ashton? They are a bit

similar, could they have played together upfront? What if Crystal

Palace had signed him? Could he have played with Andy Johnson? What if Mattias Jonson didn''t suck? What if we''d signed quality instead of Simon Charlton? What if Damien Francis'' attitude din''t stink? What if we''d signed a premiership quality holding midfielder? What if

up was west and east was tuesday? [+o(]Besides, [:-*] <-- What''s that little yellow thing on the left doing to the one on the right? Whatever it is, it doesn''t look legal!