Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

Radio Norfolk

Is anyone else finding the Gorham/Adams show as annoying to them? I thought the idea of a "match" commentary was to let you follow the game and a least, if you can''t be there, soak up some of the atmosphere. These two "old Ladies" over the fence gosssipers destroy the whole mood of the game. Their continuous chatter about unrelated things or plugs for other shows are interspersed with the odd comment on the match! Yes I know I should be at the match, but I can''t always get there and having attended most matches for many years find the frustration of these clowns hard to take.Even with the TV picture you got a better match commentary from the likes of Coleman,Motson etc. Can someone please point out to them that we want to follow the game,move by move ,not snatches every few minutes. Sorry about the rant but I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED

It has to said that there has not been much in the way of football to comment on this season............... apparently parts of the match on Saturday were like watching paint dry !!!!!!!!!

The worst thing is the pre home game stuff with Waller and ''Disco'' Dale, great player, rubbish on the radio. Luckilly as a season ticket holder i dont have to hear that often.

I can''t really complain. its the only way i can follow the game.

what irritates me is internet explorer keeps crashing every ten minutes. wish matchlive was supported in firefox :(

Roy Waller was a decent commentator... ok so he did get confused lots and often said some quite comical things but he commented omn the action as best he could and often did a fair old job.

Although being Norwich through and through he tried his hardest to sound excited and impartial when the opposition scored.. which shows professionalism... cant have been easy for him!

jas :)

[quote user="The Butler"]Is anyone else finding the Gorham/Adams show as annoying to them? I thought the idea of a "match" commentary was to let you follow the game and a least, if you can''t be there, soak up some of the atmosphere. These two "old Ladies" over the fence gosssipers destroy the whole mood of the game. Their continuous chatter about unrelated things or plugs for other shows are interspersed with the odd comment on the match! Yes I know I should be at the match, but I can''t always get there and having attended most matches for many years find the frustration of these clowns hard to take.Even with the TV picture you got a better match commentary from the likes of Coleman,Motson etc. Can someone please point out to them that we want to follow the game,move by move ,not snatches every few minutes. Sorry about the rant but I am getting VERY FRUSTRATED[/quote]

I Personally think Goreham is the worst commentater on the radio, he gets excited at all the wrong things-you think we''re about to score,only to hear on the next breath the ball is on the halfway line! And his viewpoints on what happens at this club,he should keep to himself!

As for Adams, well if he was half as good as he makes himself out to be then why is he not sitting in an office with the word "MANAGER" stuck to the door!

BRING BACK ROY WALLER all is forgiven, at least he got excited when the ball was at the right end of the pitch!

Sorry to be a dissenting voice - but I think both Mr G and Mr A do a good job. Admittedly I may just be comparing with the standard of some of the presenters on "The Home of the Stephen Bumphrey Show" (how I HATE that morning show) but find the balance of play description and comment about right. Mr Waller did all right but got very repetitive ("and it''s yet another very scrappy game" or "..and really you know, you can''t do that when you''re up against this sort of opposition). Radio 5 also has some very opinionated commentators who make out they know more than any of the managers. Bear in mind that on TV it''s easier because much of the play is seen. Try listening to Radio 5 while watching the TV - they also miss out large chunks of potential commentary - it''s impossible to speak fast enough to cover it all.

Nothing wrong with Chris Gorham in my book, consequent viewing of any highlights indicate that he gives a pretty accurate picture of whats happening .

Neil Adams seems to know what he''s talking about too, but does lack a bit charisma wise.

Things could be worse, we could finish up with Alan Green, now he is a turn off

I totally disagree,the commentary of Chris Gorham is much better than Roy Wallers,now you can actually follow the play,and know roughly what is happening in the match.When Roy Waller,bless him,was commentating,i couldn''t follow what was going on,and sometimes didn''t know which team had scored when a goal went in.Neil Adams can''t win!he''s criticised for sitting on the fence to much,and when he does give his opinion is told to keep his opinions to himself and is too cocky.

[quote user="dickyst220"]It has to said that there has not been much in the way of football to comment on this season............... apparently parts of the match on Saturday were like watching paint dry !!!!!!!!![/quote]

That just shows how misleading it is listing to it on the radio then does''nt it Dicky. I went and thoroughly enjoyed it, I think most suppoters left very happy after a five-one win, plenty of chances, a quality display from Semmy and a couple of pieces of pure magic from Dion. 

Fortunately I only have to listen to the away games but do feel that with Chris Goreham you have some idea of wheree the ball and play is unlike Waller who would scream Goal only to find out it was the opposition that had scored or that the opposition had scored a goal with the ball still in our half.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]

[quote user="dickyst220"]It has to said that there has not been much in the way of football to comment on this season............... apparently parts of the match on Saturday were like watching paint dry !!!!!!!!![/quote]

That just shows how misleading it is listing to it on the radio then does''nt it Dicky. I went and thoroughly enjoyed it, I think most suppoters left very happy after a five-one win, plenty of chances, a quality display from Semmy and a couple of pieces of pure magic from Dion. 

[/quote]

Yes 5 goals is great BUT from where I was sitting there were some bits of the game that were..... a bit dull to say the least, & this has been true of a lot of our games this season.......

[quote user="ridgeman"]Fortunately I only have to listen to the away games but do feel that with Chris Goreham you have some idea of wheree the ball and play is unlike Waller who would scream Goal only to find out it was the opposition that had scored or that the opposition had scored a goal with the ball still in our half.[/quote]

Exactly.

I do like Roy Waller, he''s obviously a nice guy who is very passionate about the club but he''s not a good commentator. One of my favourite (?) moments was when I was listening to the match at Reading in our promotion season, and his commentary went something like "the throw-in is taken, oh the ball comes off the referee, the shot comes in... IT''S THERE!"

No mention of who scored or anything. For all I knew Reading could have scored. It took about 30 seconds to work out that we scored. Classic.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[quote user="ridgeman"]Fortunately I only have to listen to the away games but do feel that with Chris Goreham you have some idea of wheree the ball and play is unlike Waller who would scream Goal only to find out it was the opposition that had scored or that the opposition had scored a goal with the ball still in our half.[/quote]

Exactly.

I do like Roy Waller, he''s obviously a nice guy who is very passionate about the club but he''s not a good commentator. One of my favourite (?) moments was when I was listening to the match at Reading in our promotion season, and his commentary went something like "the throw-in is taken, oh the ball comes off the referee, the shot comes in... IT''S THERE!"

No mention of who scored or anything. For all I knew Reading could have scored. It took about 30 seconds to work out that we scored. Classic.

[/quote]

hardly because if u had been paying attention you would of known who had taken the throw in!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

Exactly.

[/quote]

hardly because if u had been paying attention you would of known who had taken the throw in!

[/quote]

He didn''t say who won the throw in, or what player took the throw in, there was no detail there whatsoever... that was kinda the problem [;)]

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

Nothing wrong with Chris Gorham in my book, consequent viewing of any highlights indicate that he gives a pretty accurate picture of whats happening .

Neil Adams seems to know what he''s talking about too, but does lack a bit charisma wise.

[/quote]

I was relieved when Chris Goreham took over from Roy Waller, he was dreadful! Like others say, he apears a nice guy and obviously cares passionately about the club but was NOT a good commentator. Goreham does give you a better idea of what''s going on in the game but I''m all for a little more injection of passion and charisma into proceedings from both him and Neil Adams!

Sometimes you hear snippets on the Chris Moyles breakfast show of the local radio commentary on Leeds games and the commentary sounds great - completely biased (surely ok on the local radio station!) and really passionate, providing a good atmosphere via radio. I remember he also played snippets a few years back of other Yorksire clubs local commentary and they were much the same if not even more impassioned. Wouldn''t we all prefer that?

[quote user="Stone"][quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[/quote]

I was relieved when Chris Goreham took over from Roy Waller, he was dreadful! Like others say, he apears a nice guy and obviously cares passionately about the club but was NOT a good commentator. Goreham does give you a better idea of what''s going on in the game but I''m all for a little more injection of passion and charisma into proceedings from both him and Neil Adams!

Sometimes you hear snippets on the Chris Moyles breakfast show of the local radio commentary on Leeds games and the commentary sounds great - completely biased (surely ok on the local radio station!) and really passionate, providing a good atmosphere via radio. I remember he also played snippets a few years back of other Yorksire clubs local commentary and they were much the same if not even more impassioned. Wouldn''t we all prefer that?

[/quote]

I''d agree that charisma isn''t a word you''d normally associate with Messrs Goreham & Adams but they could be a lot worse. Chris Goreham does keep up with the play better than his predecessor and now that Neil Adams has dispensed with his monotone delivery he comes across a lot better. If you think Radio Norfolk football commentary is bad try listening to Radio Cambridgeshire.

I''m not too surprised that the foul-mouthed Chris Moyles - self styled '' saviour '' of Radio 1 - plays his home county football club commentaries on his programme. No wonder they''re completely biased! There''s something about folk who think the world begins and ends in Yorkshire....