Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

We need more goals

We have the poorest goals for in the league, can''t understand why we didn''t invest in a striker during the transfer window

Don''t get me wrong I''m over the moon with what Roeder has done so far!! 7 points from the playoffs!!

But we''re not going to challange for anything with such a poor score average

Lets hope Cureton finds his goal scoring boots again soon...

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

We have the poorest goals for in the league, can''t understand why we didn''t invest in a striker during the transfer window

Don''t get me wrong I''m over the moon with what Roeder has done so far!! 7 points from the playoffs!!

Lets hope Cureton finds his goal scoring boots again soon...

[/quote]

Have to agree with you.  We definately need more firepower. 

From what I have read and heard he tried to strengthen the attack with either Rasiak or Paterson.  He failed to get both targets for reasons we don''t know.  Good goalscorers are a sought after commodity.  If you have one you want to keep him, if you want one you have to pay big money.  Not sure if we have big money to spend.

I personally cannot see why Huckerby isn''t given a run up front.  Could be the answer, he went on a bit of a spree last season.  Also got Chris Martin to consider if he ever sorts his attitude out.

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]

[/quote]

To be perfectly honest....we cant expect to challenge for anything but survival this season. Bringing in a striker in the transfer window, im assuming would have been a waste of time for us. Roeder wants to get through this year, keep us in this league by stopping goals going in (which is what you need to do when battling against relegation rather than scoring them), so when the summer comes he can bring in the lads he wants in order to be the front runners for next season.

The movers and shakers that run the club seem to have developed a knack for bringing in people to positions where there is not a problem.  The year we got demoted, defense was a sieve and we brought in Ashton to score. He did, but the defense was an embarassment from then until recently. Now we need a striker to finsh off the good work coming from behind, and we borrow everything but a striker.

Are these pinheads the same crew that borrowed us to promotion?  If so, was that just an anomoly? (readers scramble for dictionaries to look up ''anomoly'')

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" Also got Chris Martin to consider if he ever sorts his attitude out.2suggest it is being sorted out for him[/quote]Agree with that.  One of the most impressive things about Roeder so far has been the ruthless way he has dealt with players who have not tried hard enough and were not giving enough for the cause.  Grant was always ranting and ranting and it had little impact, Roeder on the other hand is gaining massive respect by just calmly dropping or shipping these players out.  He is also proving to be loyal to those players who do the business for him.Players cross him if they dare but there is only one winner.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

The movers and shakers that run the club seem to have developed a knack for bringing in people to positions where there is not a problem.  The year we got demoted, defense was a sieve and we brought in Ashton to score. He did, but the defense was an embarassment from then until recently. Now we need a striker to finsh off the good work coming from behind, and we borrow everything but a striker.

Are these pinheads the same crew that borrowed us to promotion?  If so, was that just an anomoly? (readers scramble for dictionaries to look up ''anomoly'')

[/quote]

That is a harsh comment.  The defense didn''t do that bad that particular season.  It is a different kettle of fish when you are facing the likes of Thierry Henry, Wayne Rooney, Patrick Kluivert etc. week in week out.

Premier League strikers are different class, the game in general is different class.

For what it is worth, I thought our biggest mistake that season was not retaining Malky Mackay.  You can see the effect Dion has on the team, I think Malky would have been the same.

[/quote]

Movers and Shakers? What or who (the pinheads) are you talking about? There''s the Board and there''s the Manager, the Board supplies the Cash for the Manager to go out and buy players, we had a different Manager in our promotion season. I suggest that you go and do some research on our club before asking such retarded questions.

Oh, and BTW, you will not find "anomoly" in the dictionary......it is anomaly.

[quote user="Croft Fan"]

To be perfectly honest....we cant expect to challenge for anything but survival this season. Bringing in a striker in the transfer window, im assuming would have been a waste of time for us. Roeder wants to get through this year, keep us in this league by stopping goals going in (which is what you need to do when battling against relegation rather than scoring them), so when the summer comes he can bring in the lads he wants in order to be the front runners for next season.[/quote]

This is so obviously a ridiculous statement I''m amazed that you bothered to have the idea, type it up, and then post it.

So we''ll stay up with 0-0 draws, or 1-1 draws, will we? Please.  We won''t sneak three points against Preston (or Southampton) every week with 1-0 wins, and is it not blindingly obvious that any football manager would rather be 2-0 up than 1-0 up?

Roeder went after two strikers, both moves didn''t happen. It''s obvious to everyone we need to score more goals and we need strikers, but the moves didn''t happen.

More goals would be nice but it seems to me our revival has been largely based on our tight defence.

At the beginning of December we had almost the worst goals against record in the Championship. Looking at the table today I see there are only 5 teams who have conceded less.

Not bad considering the much maligned Gary Docherty has been an almost permanent fixture.

[quote user="ricardo"]

More goals would be nice but it seems to me our revival has been largely based on our tight defence.

At the beginning of December we had almost the worst goals against record in the Championship. Looking at the table today I see there are only 5 teams who have conceded less.

Not bad considering the much maligned Gary Docherty has been an almost permanent fixture.

[/quote]

And we''ve conceded less goals than any of the top four, too...

The movers and shakers are the fat cats, the big wigs, the big shots, the boss men, The Man, or as you blandly refer to them in a very uninteresting way, bunny, the board.  Way to make this dull, girly.

I have bled green and yellow since 1972. I am well aware of Nigel Worthington being the manager for promotion and subsequent 10-more-goals-than-any- other-team conceded demotion the following season.  Thats over 1/4 goals per game more than the 2nd worst defense.  That ain''t chicken feed (minor).  

I was asking if the do-nothing board we have now is the same crew as during promotion, and if so, what changed in their ability to make deals.

I suggest you do your own research before making ignorant comments about me. You could have looked up other comments I''ve made and seen that they are intelligent and funny, while yours seem to be sophmoric, bland, snobby and mean. 

I agree with you about Mackay. He was on 3 or 4 different teams one season after the next, and each of them got promoted and then dumped him, with the exception of Watford.  He obviously has a good impact on teams.

However, I don''t think my comments re: our defense were harsh at all.  I think it is something I have not seen or heard before and yet it is blindingly obvious. The elephant in the room we are all pretending is not there is we gave up 10 more goals than the 2nd worst defense. That''s a lot of goals, and it guarenteed we had no chance of winning a goals difference place in the table. had we tied Fulham, we''d have been relegated anyways.

I realize the quality of players is different in the Premiere, but there were 2 other sides that got promoted that gave up 10+ fewer goals than us. 

The movers and shakers are the fat cats, the big wigs, the big shots, the boss men, The Man, or as you blandly refer to them in a very uninteresting way, bunny, the board.  Way to make this dull, girly.

I have bled green and yellow since 1972. I am well aware of Nigel Worthington being the manager for promotion and subsequent 10-more-goals-than-any- other-team conceded demotion the following season.  Thats over 1/4 goals per game more than the 2nd worst defense.  That ain''t chicken feed (minor).  

I was asking if the do-nothing board we have now is the same crew as during promotion, and if so, what changed in their ability to make deals.

I suggest you do your own research before making ignorant comments about me. You could have looked up other comments I''ve made and seen that they are intelligent and funny, while yours seem to be sophmoric, bland, snobby and mean. 

[/quote]

way to go HC, great post, nice to see a real supporter on here rather than a board brown noser.

[/quote]

They are the same crew, yes. 

[/quote]

Actually, that one seems kind of arrogant and self-aggrandising.  Still, if I had yellow and green blood I''d be quite proud of myself too.

I always find it interesting when people "defend" themselves by throwing insults at people.  Says much about the poster, doesn''t it?

Yah, I got a little full of myself, but that was only in response to a personal attack by someone who doesn''t know anything about me and my commitment to NCFC. I certainly wouldn''t open with insults.