Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Norwich and Norfolk - An Exercise In Boredom

Hi! YC, If this is not a wind up I can only recommend a long course in meditation for yourself, it would also be of great benefit to most of the repliers to the thread and when one finds ones inner self it can be very disturbing or even enlightening depending on the honesty of the research. The thread, which has by the way, many observation topics about others and their ways and perceptions of life and how under a strangers observation of their reactions to small or minor happenings while going on their ways to work or many other persuits that all engage in from time to time. Some of the replies carry unpleasant personal connotations. Some of the parts of the thread bring to mind some of the established habits of the working class and the desire to engage in loutish behaviour that does them no favours except to echo the now trend that says one must be loud or insulting to occupy a rank within the crowd, to be oustanding so to speak. Part of the new found celebrity cult who are celebrated by the young future fuddy duddy''s. The happenings take place in Norwich and our beautiful Norfolk. You know as well as I do Yankee that those traits are to be observed in every nation in every town or city the world over. Boredom is a state of mind> The esthetics of the place in which we find ourselves is much to do with inhabitants of it and their capacity to have the will and make the effort to change it''s appearance for the better or worse. All the down towns of this world are occupied with spivs, pimps, down and outs, and downright useless people, all of whom are bored but wait for someone from outside to feed clothe and support them. I often wonder when viewing some of the university products coming on to the labour market whether there is any longer to be any hope for the world, let alone this country or Norfolk. 60 years ago I fought for freedom along with many others who lost their lives in that fight. What purpose did it really serve except for us to be faced with a younger society who have now decided that their lives are to be governed by their rights rather than their responsibilities, slaves to greed and envy many of them.

flaming hell got a headache from all those big words need to lie down.
it''s nearly christmas so lets get in the festive spirit y.c i think you should send some chocolate over. well it worked in the first world war
toodle pip

Thanks for the input beelsie. Of course, the thread was a wind-up. How could anyone think ill of Norwich or Norfolk. Rather naughty of me, I know, but it appeared to me, after the season was over, that the board was getting a little stale with one or two posters dominating the proceedings with over exposure. I did think some of the responders tended to get a little nasty however. Now, with respect to your input, you did appear to be getting a little serious and I want to comment on the end part of your message. As you know, I hold you in the utmost respect as I do all those who have fought for the freedom we all enjoy. I’m sure I can include all posters as sharing that feeling, particularly on this special day today. Regarding your comment questioning what purpose it served given the attitude often prevailing in the younger generation, I will say that I don’t feel quite as hard on the young people of today. In many cases, where they are spoiled, it is due in no small part to the way they were treated by parents and yes, in many cases, grandparents. Also, although I know it’s not looked at by all in the same way today, I still hold tremendous respect for those young people who continue today to serve their country. So I think the purpose they serve along with your generation is to be the standard bearers, reminding us of the cost of freedom. It’s all too easy for many of us to enjoy the good life without realizing how it’s being paid for.

DD don''t bother with him, you know what your like and everyone else on here can have a good guess at what your like and to me it seems that your a great person who enjoys life. Just ignore him.
He''s obviously trying to wind everyone up and has succeeded.
If Norwich, and Norfolk in general are so boring they how come they are home to the football team that you ''support'', yankee?
Yankee, you claim that norwich and norfolk and so boring then why do you support their no.1 football team? There must be something that you see in the area.
Yes we are defensive, btu we are pround of where we live, come from and/or support.

Yankee,
I dont know,off I go to sunny Ibiza for a couple of weeks and I get back and find you have been upsetting some of my fellow posters with your antics on life and people in Norwich and Norfolk.
I read your original post several times yesterday and thought how could he say these things about the beautiful city and county we live in.I didnt reply yesterday because I wanted to calm down and gather my thoughts and then today I come on here to give you hell and you''ve confessed it was all a wind up.
Guess we should be getting used to you and your posts by now but you sure do fool some of us some of the time.
So come on,whilst theres no football to discuss, come clean and tell us what you really think of Norwich and Norfolk,which are your favourite places to visit and how long is it since you were over here?
cityangel

Welcome back cityangel. If I had known you were coming back I would have delayed my "wind-up confession". However, it''s one thing to acknowledge the wind-up, quite another to start sounding soft. What kind of a person do you take me for?

alright calm down!?..slightly harsh on YC i must admit..i for one did think what DD does with his time after nearly 1000 posts...but is forgiven as each post is truly wonderful...

Sorry, but even if the original message was a wind up, people must have something better to do with their lives. I am going to come clean and honest and say that I have found all of YC´s posts smartarse and somewhat patronising and would suggest that he confines his time to reading some of the excellent posts instead. In times of low activity there are usually enough thought provoking and generally funny posts here without having to put up with his drivel!

Very well put Steve. IMHO YC comes across as bit patronising sometimes, and his posts always seem to get a bit bogged down with him apologising and defending himself the whole time. Which would perhaps should suggest to him something about the content of the aforementioned posts. No-one else chooses to come on here and upset the apple-cart by deliberately trying to upset people, which is, lets face it, exactly what YC wanted to do. Personally, i''d rather talk about footy!!!!

YC obviously likes his notoriety. I like his posts alot more when he tells us his opinions on Norwich and football in general.

And, like most other people on here, i''m very proud of Norwich, and in particular, their football team!!!!!

YC! your remarks are noted and a sigh of relief breathed when what was an almost sure "wind up" turned out to be so. However I feel my remarks regarding the young especially in this country where the evidence is before my eyes, and is factual. I do believe as you state that many of the younger generation have been spoiled and cosseted by over indulgent parents and grand parents. This does not preclude the younger ones drawing on their experience of this lack of wise parenting etc and evaluating it, if only to discover that it does them no service to bask in a false sense of personal or academic achievement. After I retired from business I became involved with technical work with adult trainees. Their ages were upwards from 16years to 35. Not many of them regarded good time keeping as necessary to their future. Neither did many of them regard it as necessary to be quiet or attentive when instruction work was carried on. Yet they had placed on their application for a place in the colledge that an engineering career was no1 on their agenda. They did not want to study maths to the required level because it is like being at school. So as not to go on for ever, I found and still find that our Asian and oriental races are far more attuned to study and good manners than their indigenous counterparts. They are dilligent and hard working. They battle with great success the language problem. We now see a greater proportion of students from these races to be able to progress on the ladder of the professions Lawyers, Doctors, Scientists, and Teachers to name but a few, in short they are becoming the new source of our knowledge base, while our lot seem to be all for the easy options as media studies, Social services. Any real hard work is taboo.

I was in two minds about posting a reply as this all seems rather pointless. But I have to say that, it having been alleged that the original was a wind up, I hardly split my sides when rereading it. My view is that it was serious but having seen the pushback was turned into a wind up to deflect personal criticism. A wind up is not being gratuitously offensive and then stating, oh it was a joke.

If this thread is going to be continued for long, please change the subject name to something more pleasing (and veracious)! Here''s one suggestion anyway.

Respect to Beelsie for his sheer unrestrained and unashamed verbosity in one post! (I thought I had a monopoly on that...)

You have hit the nail on the head Tumbleweed, I think YC was actually serious when he wrote his post (as he was about the City /Town merger), and when he found out how many people reacted strongly against him, he reverted to being patronising and grovelling using unneccessarily big words. This is the last time I am going to comment on his posts as they are usually absolute crap, out of touch with what the rest of us want to see on the board, and a complete waste of time. If you think this is a personal attack against you YC - you are right, the Yanks are welcome to you.

Tumbleweed, if my objective on this board is to deflect personal criticism then, may I humbly suggest, I''m going about it all wrong.

Indeed so YC. I do enjoy reading your posts as I do think freedom of debate is good, but I did find this thread off the mark. Maybe the next "wind up" should be a little more considered?

oh hiya yankee, good to know that you are still around lol

there was an old saying on an island i used to live on

"if you don''t like it, there''s a ferry home in the morning"

in other words a polite way to tell whingers to piss off (sorry about the language peter, but it is justified sometimes)

what do i love about norwich and norfolk, only those of you who are exiled, have been exiled could possibly know what it feels like to want to be HOME

even going away for a weekend recently, i couldn''t wait for the train to pull into the station (conveniently passing fortress CR on the way) tears in eyes .....

yankee, i challenge you to come over here for a weekend, you can stay with me and watch the sun set over norwich cathedral (from my house, lucky me!!) take a ten minute walk up the road and gaze at the reason we are all on this board, i can teach you to LOVE NORFOLK

everyone i know who comes to norwich for the first time falls in love with it - how can you not love the centre of life itself?

yankee, there are miserable and demanding people everywhere (and a lot of them live in NY city, i know, i have been there, but i have to say there are also lovely people there too)

so come on, come over and i will teach you to love this wonderful city of ours, and our glorious county

by the way, enlighten us

why do you suppport norwich anyway?

Please put an end to this thread!

I know, I know I''m contributing to it''s continuationby typing this, but just fed up of logging in and seeing this same thread still limping on. Surely someone must have seen somebody in Asda recently. Or perhaps YC you could start a new controversial thread to get us all going again?

He has! and it looks like a butt-kiss "damage limitation" exercise by him!. Oh well, and just when I thought that things were looking up!. Still, it''s a good night for the telly so cheerio!.......

WARNING!!! This monotonous thread will self destruct in 5 seconds 4...3...2...ZZZZzzzzz

Sorry Mello, but I''d just like to add this little afterthough. I don''t believe old YC did mean this thread to be a ''wind up'' for 1 nano second, and I should know I''ve started a few myself!.

No, my quess is that having started his moronic thread, he was shocked and embarrased at the reaction he got from the canny posters on here. Then in a vain effort to cover his damaged reputation and image, he feebly invented his ''wind up'' excuse.

Well, thats my opinion anyway, so come clean Yankee Canary, and admit you really DO think Norwich and Norfolk are boring, after all my friend, it takes a kidder to spot another kidder, and I don''t belive for one second that you are one, savy!.

Generation A4, thank you for that. it is deserved. In my reply. "Unashamed"! I am concise in this reply, cheers!! I had noticed your posts are as you claim, the content generally makes good reading keep posting please.

I''m sorry Wizard, as much as I would like to support your perceptive skills, on this occasion they are not working. It truly was a wind-up. Quite frankly, I would have been content to not acknowledge this to be the case except that I have a soft spot for beelsie. He is the one poster I could not have believing I truly felt this way about Norwich or Norfolk.

Quote by YC:
"I''m sorry Wizard, as much as I would like to support your perceptive skills, on this occasion they are not working. It truly was a wind-up."

So why, pray tell did you react with such venom to my reply, which as I pointed out in a later post, was exactly what a wind up merchant is looking for and expecting.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can''t fool all the people all of the time.

Herb

Herb, I was happy to let the thread expire but apparently you are not. Do you post after you have finished your beers by the Wensum? The venom came from you in attacking me, Ipswich and the whole of the United States in one short paragraph:

Your first note on the thread (note the venom ):
"Yeah, the same YC who thinks Norwich should merge with Ipswich!
He''s been a wind up from day one, rarely has anything good to say about our team and I''m sure he''s a closet binner.
In fact his adopted country has a lot in common with the scum.
An over inflated sense of their own importance, delusions of grandeur and blaming everyone but themselves when things go wrong.
Yep, the US deserves YC and he deserves the US. "

Followed by your note to FGE ( appearing to retract without saying so ):
FGE, very gracious of you and I appreciate it.
I''m guilty of firing off posts without reading them through myself - who isn''t? (a good example being my first reply in this thread)

My reaction ( hardly filled with venom ):
Not sure I understand this last message Herb. Are you, in fact, changing your opinion on me and extending goodwill, or are you welcoming the United States back into the human race, or both?

You know what Herb? You''ll probably feel better if you have the courage to tell people what you really feel about your comments above. Otherwise people might suspect you of being a wind-up artist.

I''m afraid you may have mistaken me for someone who gives a toss YC.

If I''ve wound you up, then I see that as a result.
Nothing better than beating a wind-up merchant at his own game, wouldn''t you agree?
You must be the only person on these boards who worries about poor old Ipswich getting slagged off. Which only adds to my suspicions about your true allegiance.

Herb

I can''t really be bothered to read the entire thread but I think i get the gist of it, have you mentioned which part of the USA you are currently residing in? I reckon I could come up with a few patronising and un-funny comments about it too! And for the record I don''t live in Norwich (or even near it) and I have lived for a few years in the USA. Maybe you could spend you time more wisely on a local baseball web forum? or even better, football (not soccer or course!), you know the game, poor mans rugby, the game that lasts about 10 minutes but goes on for hours! Also I think any comment joking about people walking is rich coming from a USA resident (I pressume). I don''t think many Yanks know what the process of walking is for, well apart from getting to and from the car of course! (or the Burger bar) Right i''m off back to work, and later on I might look for that coach you refer to, does it go via Loughborough?

For any genuine Yanks reading this (I doubt there is any though), I like the Yanks, but just like the Brits, they ain''t perfect!

Oh my! this is just like a game of table-tennis(ping-pong). I eagerly await with "baited boredom", Mr Yankees cutting retort, because he''s always got to have the last word........ Or will he prove me wrong?.............? "To me to you to you to me"! "Chuckle Chuckle Vision!

I''m with Mello Yello on this one,ping pong,and will Yankee have the last word,can''t wait.

Herb, I don''t know if this has escaped your attention but, in looking at your last message, I noticed that you and I joined the board within 24 hours of each other. We must be soul mates. I will try and be respectful of your future posts and certainly try to apply more understanding when you are upset.