Sign in to follow this  
PaulyH

To all those who slate Delia..

This is not in defence of the board actions in anything other than their failure to deliver a major investor but a message to all those who have slated the board for not doing so.If we cannot attract a multi millionaire who lives down the road and supports the club how do propose we go about attracting a major investor? You hammer the board daily on this point and now I would like to know how you would get in these investors you so merrily keep harping on about.I am very very interested in your responses.

It would be a start if she didn''t insist that any interested parties have to live within a stones throw of Norwich and that they must have supported Norwich since the day they were born. We don''t really know what goes on in the boardroom but my main concern is that there may be people who are willing to invest in the club but are being resisted because they don''t satisfy her criteria, at the end of the day whoever comes in I can''t see how things could be any worse than they have been for the last 3 years, without something changing we are on a crash course to league 1 and that would be a complete disaster. I''d rather she sold out to a foreigner than get relegated to the lower leagues.

Delia did not actively seek to buy Chase out-or if she did he wasn`t interested in selling. She became interested when the shares were made available after life was made "uncomfortable" for Chase and he decided to go. There is no evidence that Delia is even willing to listen to offers for her shares and has actually recently been buying more. Therefore we have no idea who might be interested in taking over as they won`t even get a sniff until Delia decides to sell.

A major investor would be nice, but it''s not the most important issue.  The board need to start by investing the income they do have in the right areas. 

For several seasons now the board have systematically deinvested in the squad (spent less on replacing players than they got from selling them) and overinvested in infrastructure (last season alone we spent £1.2m on building an access road, and took out yet another loan of £1.3m for more office development). 

I don''t know why anyone is surprised that we''re in the bottom three, and it will take more than a new manager to get us out of there unless the board invest some SERIOUS money into strengthening the squad. 

The board have always claimed that spending on infrastructure will be good for the club because of the income it will eventually provide, but it always seems to be "jam tomorrow".  If indeed there ever is any "jam today" (which I begin to doubt), will we have any bread left to put it on?

one has to wonder why she does keep going, she is obviously not after money or she would consider any investor, from any country.  Maybe she actually believes in that she is actually the best thing for Norwich City, maybe she refuses to believe that anyone could say a bad word about her. Upcoming AGM is the chance to firmly dispel this myth, if there is enough disenchanted shareholders it might just tip her hand. (Either this or she will never surrender because she is secretly a binner?)

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]This is not in defence of the board actions in anything other than their failure to deliver a major investor but a message to all those who have slated the board for not doing so.

If we cannot attract a multi millionaire who lives down the road and supports the club how do propose we go about attracting a major investor? You hammer the board daily on this point and now I would like to know how you would get in these investors you so merrily keep harping on about.

I am very very interested in your responses.
[/quote]

It''s not all about money....as a large part of what is needed is credibility. This club has been the plaything of a fading tv celebrity for far too long...to the point where the whole image of the club has moved away from our style of play...our great City and surrounding County and is now viewed as "Delia''s Norwich". That may not bother you....but it sure as hell bothers me. The fact that it is Delia Smith in this instance is neither here nor there....

As for investors?  Did anyone know Smith and Co. were going to buy the club out prior to an announcement? I don''t think so....and this is the case now. There will be a suitor standing in the wings waiting for the right moment and the right opportunity.....My lifetime in business has taught me that you never "buy high" having seen that a company is in trouble. Wait a while and the price will come down....just as Smith and Co. did with Robert Chase.

You can''t judge the harvest when the spuds are still in the ground........

[quote user="mystic megson"]

A major investor would be nice, but it''s not the most important issue.  The board need to start by investing the income they do have in the right areas. 

For several seasons now the board have systematically deinvested in the squad (spent less on replacing players than they got from selling them) and overinvested in infrastructure (last season alone we spent £1.2m on building an access road, and took out yet another loan of £1.3m for more office development). 

I don''t know why anyone is surprised that we''re in the bottom three, and it will take more than a new manager to get us out of there unless the board invest some SERIOUS money into strengthening the squad. 

The board have always claimed that spending on infrastructure will be good for the club because of the income it will eventually provide, but it always seems to be "jam tomorrow".  If indeed there ever is any "jam today" (which I begin to doubt), will we have any bread left to put it on?

[/quote] This is a completely succinct summing up of the situation. The ''De-investment'' is now coming home to roost. But dont waste your breath - there a still far too many Oedipus complexes around the place to even begin to smell the flowers.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]one has to wonder why she does keep going, she is obviously not after money or she would consider any investor, from any country.  Maybe she actually believes in that she is actually the best thing for Norwich City, maybe she refuses to believe that anyone could say a bad word about her. Upcoming AGM is the chance to firmly dispel this myth, if there is enough disenchanted shareholders it might just tip her hand. (Either this or she will never surrender because she is secretly a binner?)[/quote]

web team, can''t believe you edited this, all I said was Delia was deluded!

Cluck: "There will be a suitor standing in the wings waiting for the right moment and the right opportunity"

Now he can see into the future! Hail the supernatural Cluck!

[quote user="PJ Bimbo"]This is not in defence of the board actions in anything other than their failure to deliver a major investor but a message to all those who have slated the board for not doing so.

If we cannot attract a multi millionaire who lives down the road and supports the club how do propose we go about attracting a major investor? You hammer the board daily on this point and now I would like to know how you would get in these investors you so merrily keep harping on about.

[/quote]

Quite simple really PJ - you make a statement that you are looking for a buyer/investment and would welcome offers (without the conditions attached she stated last year).

The fact that this appears not to be something that will come from Delia''s mouth in the near future you have to consider the reasons why this may be with the club in it current position; financially, limited squad strength/quality and our championship status in serious and real danger. This is the real question we need her/the board to answer. WHY are you not seeking new investment ? - If they weren''t actively speaking to Peter Cullum about possible investment - they bloody well should have been !!! OK he has shown his hand now - but these are surely the type of people our board should be targeting for anything they can get ? 

Muddling along and trying to make do is not going to work this time, it is blatantly obvious we need new investment and that either has to come from Delia herself (unlikely) or someone else. Why, as Barry Skipper has already stated in his interview last week, the club only elected to release 33,000 more shares, when they could release upto nearer 100,000 (generating additional income of circa £3m) ? Why is Delia buying up more shares herself making her position more entenched ?

Lots of questions that we need the answer to, but until that time we can only second guess her motives. All I would say as, I have said before, if she and her husband are the true fans of NCFC as they claim to be, they must realise that carrying on in the same vain WILL see us relegated if not this season, then soon. They are the ones with the power to do something about this, a power we all wish we had -what would you do ?

I know I would want the best for my club and if this meant swallowing my pride, taking more of a back seat, taking less of the limelight and kudos - then thats exactly what I would do.

So why isn''t Delia prepared to do this ? - answers on a postcard...

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

It''s not all about money....as a large part of what is needed is credibility. This club has been the plaything of a fading tv celebrity for far too long...to the point where the whole image of the club has moved away from our style of play...our great City and surrounding County and is now viewed as "Delia''s Norwich". That may not bother you....but it sure as hell bothers me. The fact that it is Delia Smith in this instance is neither here nor there....

As for investors?  Did anyone know Smith and Co. were going to buy the club out prior to an announcement? I don''t think so....and this is the case now. There will be a suitor standing in the wings waiting for the right moment and the right opportunity.....My lifetime in business has taught me that you never "buy high" having seen that a company is in trouble. Wait a while and the price will come down....just as Smith and Co. did with Robert Chase.

[/quote]

In a sense I can see where you''re coming from Cluck, but I really don''t understand why grown men get upset about ''credibilty''. I couldn''t give a flying dogs d1ck about the association between Delia and NCFC, not everyone living outside of Norfolk refers to NCFC as ''Delia''s NCFC'' despite what you think...I know this because I talk to fellow football fans here in Dorset etc and Delia Smith is rarely mentioned. Therefore I conclude that you want Delia out because of the ''credibility'' issue, rather than her backing to Peter Grant for the players he bought this summer (which may I say was quite comparable to many other Championship sides I think everyone will find).

[quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

This is the most reasonable post I have ever read on this matter.

Delia is surely not the target. The boards policy is the target. Both yourself and Mr Carrow seem to be able to seperate the two quite easily when you want to. And with no mention of Ipswich.

Now it seems to me that Delia and MWJ have been taking a back seat for a while. Hiding according to some although I doubt that. They are fans of the club and they have put their money in but it seems to me they are letting others take a more active role. I have no evidence that this is so its just how it seems to me as an outsider looking in. They got the new investment people crazed for and thankfully it was local people who are fans of the club. If fans don''t like the fact that the Turners are local people who are fans of the club then my advice to them is to pretend they are not.

So it''s entirely possible that the new manager is going to be appointed with a lot of influence from the new board members. Maybe more investment into the football team will follow, if not then the fans have every right to continue to make their voices heard. But we should be clear about what we want. Is it the policy that is the problem or the individuals who invest their money.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

[quote user="Salahuddin"]one has to wonder why she does keep going, she is obviously not after money or she would consider any investor, from any country.  Maybe she actually believes in that she is actually the best thing for Norwich City, maybe she refuses to believe that anyone could say a bad word about her. Upcoming AGM is the chance to firmly dispel this myth, if there is enough disenchanted shareholders it might just tip her hand. (Either this or she will never surrender because she is secretly a binner?)[/quote]

[/quote]

ive had one edited today too.. and its something that others have said countless times before!

jas :)

This current board are not going to invest anywhere near enough money to acheive anything. Even when worthy did get us promoted the board would not give him enough money to spend on players. When they did let him spend a bit on Ashton in january it was too late, and if we''d had him from the start of the season things might of been different. Even if a miracle does happen and we were to acheive promotion again with this current board, we would come straight back down. Major investment needs to be found for us to progress, otherwise we will have to get used to life being a middle of the road championship team.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

Delia is surely not the target. The boards policy is the target. Both yourself and Mr Carrow seem to be able to seperate the two quite easily when you want to. And with no mention of Ipswich.

Now it seems to me that Delia and MWJ have been taking a back seat for a while. Hiding according to some although I doubt that. They are fans of the club and they have put their money in but it seems to me they are letting others take a more active role. I have no evidence that this is so its just how it seems to me as an outsider looking in. They got the new investment people crazed for and thankfully it was local people who are fans of the club. If fans don''t like the fact that the Turners are local people who are fans of the club then my advice to them is to pretend they are not.

So it''s entirely possible that the new manager is going to be appointed with a lot of influence from the new board members. Maybe more investment into the football team will follow, if not then the fans have every right to continue to make their voices heard. But we should be clear about what we want. Is it the policy that is the problem or the individuals who invest their money.

[/quote]

It''s not either/or, it''s both/and.  Who makes the policy in the first place?  It''s not some sort of ectoplasm that floats up out of the Wensum on a misty morning.  I sometimes wonder if problem is that there isn''t a policy, they just let things happen.  The buck stops at the top nutty.  Our board have been far too good at avoiding responsibility for far too long. 

D&M have only taken a back seat for the past six months or so, and when push comes to shove they still hold all the cards.  If there was a standoff between D&M and the Turners over the new manager, there are no prizes for guessing who would have the final say.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not either/or, it''s both/and.  Who makes the policy in the first place?  It''s not some sort of ectoplasm that floats up out of the Wensum on a misty morning.  I sometimes wonder if problem is that there isn''t a policy, they just let things happen.  The buck stops at the top nutty.  Our board have been far too good at avoiding responsibility for far too long. 

D&M have only taken a back seat for the past six months or so, and when push comes to shove they still hold all the cards.  If there was a standoff between D&M and the Turners over the new manager, there are no prizes for guessing who would have the final say.

[/quote]

Of course you are correct Mystic. The buck stops with the person at the top. But change at the top doesn''t neccessarily mean a change of policy just as a change of policy does not neccessarily mean a change at the top.

That has been my problem with the board since relegation Mystic. I can never work out what they are trying to achieve or what direction they think or hope they are going in.

There doesn''t seem to be a coherent policy for anything. Whatever happened to the much heralded five year plan?

Apart from a little local difficulty resulting in a few protests and a meeting in the city re the previous manager, there has really been no prolonged campaign against their running of the club. This must have given them a sense of false insecurity. They claim to listen to the fans. Are those fans who question the running of the club in a minority? Not in the ones I know, certainly.

Maybe there are thousands of those Cluck sheep out there who would turn up year after year and just watch whatever was served up to them and never question it. I can''t see that myself.

The board (up to the Turners getting onboard and the subsequent statement by Skipper) have always presented a united front. It will be very interesting on Thursday to find out what sort of show they put on for their adoring public.

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

In a sense I can see where you''re coming from Cluck, but I really don''t understand why grown men get upset about ''credibilty''. I couldn''t give a flying dogs d1ck about the association between Delia and NCFC, not everyone living outside of Norfolk refers to NCFC as ''Delia''s NCFC'' despite what you think...I know this because I talk to fellow football fans here in Dorset etc and Delia Smith is rarely mentioned. Therefore I conclude that you want Delia out because of the ''credibility'' issue, rather than her backing to Peter Grant for the players he bought this summer (which may I say was quite comparable to many other Championship sides I think everyone will find).

[/quote]

The Grant issue was just one of a whole string of ridiculous events at Carrow Road since Smith moved in....and her credibility is a serious issue in football circles and within the media.  I''m in Dorset too at present....and it certainly isn''t the case where I am!  If you claim the media view is irrelevant...take a look at Ming Campbell''s fall from grace today. Credibility is everything today when it comes to projecting a commercial image.

The fact that it is Delia Smith is not important....as it would be the same if it were another fluffy celebrity personality such as Hugh Grant or Stephen Fry.  DS is not a "serious" personality in the wider world whether we like it or not....and there lies the credibility issue.

David Dimbleby? Yes.......Jeremy Paxman? Yes.......Delia Smith? Not on your nelly!........

Well done on seeing what a non footballing, fan opinion brain she has!!  well done for noticing her smiling while we are losing at QPR!
Well done for noticing she has bought restaurants and not players! Well done for noticing her  embarrasing us on live TV!
Well done for realising  that 1 chef spoils the broth! Well done for noticing she did not invest  in  the Prem season  till January  when it was too late! Well done for realising  it was her that appointed  Doomcaster! Well done for noticing it was her that Kept hold of her good mate Worthy! Well done for noticing she appointed Grant and gave him NO MONEY to fail!

[quote user="Web Team - Celia Sutton"]

Cluck - one more post as ''web team -cluck'' and it will be deleted. You know it makes sense.

Celia

[/quote]Well done cluck this did make me laugh!

Well done and thanks to those that addressed the point I raised in the opening post.2 fingers up at those who used this thread to have a go at the board in relation to everything that was unrelated to the topic. Some people can even turn a totally off topic thread into a ''board have failed us'' topic and their every post is the same old regurgitated or garbage.Yes I realise their are related issues that have to be taken into account but really. Isn''t this getting a little tedius everyone? We know what peoples opinions are on this subject so do they really need to keep repeating them?

[quote user="Salahuddin"]

[/quote]

I had a post deleted ''cos I said Christine Keeler liked her food.

[quote user="kdncfc"]at the end of the day whoever comes in I can''t see how things could be any worse than they have been for the last 3 years, [/quote]

Maybe you should try talking to some Wrexham fans, I''m sure they could tell you.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"]

[quote user="kdncfc"]at the end of the day whoever comes in I can''t see how things could be any worse than they have been for the last 3 years, [/quote]

Maybe you should try talking to some Wrexham fans, I''m sure they could tell you.

[/quote]

If things carry on as they have for the last 3 years we will be talking to some Wrexham fans, in the Coach and Horses before a league 2 relegation battle against them.

PJ Bimbo wrote

Yes I realise their are related issues that have to be taken into account but really. Isn''t this getting a little tedius everyone? We know what peoples opinions are on this subject so do they really need to keep repeating them?

...again and again and ......ad infinitum.

Good post PJ

[quote user="Web Team - Celia Sutton"]

Cluck - one more post as ''web team -cluck'' and it will be deleted. You know it makes sense.

Celia

[/quote]

Brilliant! 10/10 Cluck!.

[quote user="The Judge"]

This is the real question we need her/the board to answer. WHY are you not seeking new investment ? -

[/quote]Sorry? Who says they are not? Heard of the Turners? What did they do, ride in with a double barrel?Grow up

[quote user="T07"][quote user="The Judge"]

This is the real question we need her/the board to answer. WHY are you not seeking new investment ? -

[/quote]

Sorry? Who says they are not? Heard of the Turners? What did they do, ride in with a double barrel?

Grow up
[/quote]

More or less T07.  They didn''t come in at D&M''s invitation at any rate.  There were nearly £1m of City shares available at the start of last season, but D&M scooped them all up while the Turners only got in by buying out Barry Skipper.

Serious investment will only come if the investors have a real say in the way the club is run, surely that''s obvious.  How is that going to happen if D&M retain their majority shareholding?