Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Lets all do a Marshall

Fumbled Cross vs Barnet,

Almost punched it into his own net today, was at fault for the goal, and let one squirm under his body and ALMOST into the net... his kicking was poor too.. i see in the EDP today Matty Gilks says he''s ready to wait for his chance.. if Marshall keeps this up Gilks chance might come sooner than he thinks.

jas :)

no he didnt, it was headed off the line by Adam Drury.. notice how none of the saints players celebrated or appealed.

I hope Marshall will go on to be an absolute top keeper for us but I warned a couple of weeks ago that there was far too much hype surrounding him and Brellier when they signed.

We are told by some that Marshall is a ''fantastic keeper''. Now quite where people get that opinion from is beyond me, there is no evidence whatsoever to suport that view. If he was that good would Celtic have got rid? Er no. Marshall needs to get some consistent performances and regular first team football behind him before we can accurately assess him but he did look dodgy today as Jas says.

As for Brellier lets just hope and pray it was just his overall fitness, if not then he''s got one hell of a lot of improvement to make!

I was very pleased with Russell, thought he did a tremendous amount of work and some useful touches. Fozzy was a revelation in the  second half until he got crocked. Just pray it''s not serious. If it is and with Jimmy Smith out until October we could be in real trouble.     

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

no he didnt, it was headed off the line by Adam Drury.. notice how none of the saints players celebrated or appealed.

[/quote]

Apologies, I was up the other end and thought you were refering to the one which dribbled over the line before Marshall clawed it back !

[quote user="Mister Carrow"]No, he DID punch it into the net ![/quote]

It wasn''t the punch - that got cleared away by Drury. It was the fumble in the first half that was very dubious. Some people say it allegedly crossed the line before he clawed it away (can''t remember any saints players complaining to the ref however, unless I missed something?)

from what i remember celtic did want to keep Marshall but he wanted first team football.

Fumbled Cross vs Barnet,

Almost punched it into his own net today, was at fault for the goal, and let one squirm under his body and ALMOST into the net... his kicking was poor too.. i see in the EDP today Matty Gilks says he''s ready to wait for his chance.. if Marshall keeps this up Gilks chance might come sooner than he thinks.

[/quote]

Bet then again he did make a the fantastic, possibly match saving stop in the second half. If he makes us a dozen points or so in the season it will be money well spent.

Not a perfect performance today or against Barnet but then again Greeno was never perfect. We''ve missed Green so much since he went and in Marshall I see a good replacement at last.

Fumbled Cross vs Barnet,

[/quote]

I have only seen your Matty Gilks play at a much lower level but he is a very fine keeper to my mind, commanding of his area, very agile and extremely brave (often necessary in League II defending).  It is not as pretty as your stuff.

He started there when he was 13 and has many friends among the current players and I''m sure he''d love to play if given the chance in your Carling Cup tie.  I would guess he will get a warm reception from the home fans - they knew he had to move on.  It was not an acrimonious move.

His current successor at Rochdale (who I believe you will meet)  is a 15 stone mountain and  it takes time for him to launch upwards or downwards.  If you want an answer to who ate all the pies you might well start there.

With regards to goalkeeping and punching with a Norwich connection you might be amused by a contribution on another message board concerning Joe Lewis who appears to have won the hearts and minds of Morecambe FC supporters (so far).

One Morecambe poster remarked: "One of his punches from a corner was so awesome that it also took out his own centre half and two other players.................."

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

We are told by some that Marshall is a ''fantastic keeper''. Now quite where people get that opinion from is beyond me, there is no evidence whatsoever to suport that view. If he was that good would Celtic have got rid? Er no. Marshall needs to get some consistent performances and regular first team football behind him before we can accurately assess him but he did look dodgy today as Jas says.

[/quote]

Not sure if you went to the two friendlies or not, but Marshall pulled four or five world class saves that he would do well to top this year. So theres some evidene at least...

However not at the game today so cant comment.

Along with a match-winning save today. But he does need work on corners and his kicking - both of which can be ironed out in training. Just get Dublin and Brown to mark him and get Lappin to fire in some balls for him to claim until he can do so confidently.

One minute you lot are shouting his name saying he''s a ''prem quality'' goalkeeper and then the next minute when you actually get the experience to watch him play properly you say things like that, fickle or what.

I agree budger, but why let all that get in the way when you can have a good ol moan about something norwich city related, some people just cant help themselves.I mean Robert Green was a fantastic keeper for us but did he never make any mistakes??  Forest away in our championship season, David Johnson is behind you Greeno!!!!

his kicking waqs good yesturday it was barnet it was poor against and all keepers make mistakes, chec made one or two against reading dosnt mean hes ou of the team

Marshall was a real worry on corners and crosses yesterday. He needs more confidence, and must impose himself inside his penalty area. Our goalkeeping coaches need to get working sharpish.He did make some good reaction saves though. So I''ll dismiss his near goal-conceding ''fumble'' as a one-off.

[quote user="Morten"]I agree budger, but why let all that get in the way when you can have a good ol moan about something norwich city related, some people just cant help themselves.

I mean Robert Green was a fantastic keeper for us but did he never make any mistakes??  Forest away in our championship season, David Johnson is behind you Greeno!!!!
[/quote]

I am a tad worried.  I didn''t think he was amazing on last season''s performances, and in the two games I have seen him play this season he has been a bit dodgy to say the least.  He has flapped at crosses, kicked poorly, should have done better on both Barnet goals and almost given away a goal by letting the ball squirm under his body yesterday and almost punched the ball into his own net!

Again, that said, he has produced some world class stops as well.  I think he can be great for us, but that does not make the above mistakes did not happen.  I am not judging any of the new signings until at least half way through the season.

[quote user="Budger"]One minute you lot are shouting his name saying he''s a ''prem quality'' goalkeeper and then the next minute when you actually get the experience to watch him play properly you say things like that, fickle or what.[/quote]

find anywhere on this message board where i personally have said that....