Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Searing pace

There''s no substitute for searing pace provided the player has the other basics. Electric pace un-nerves the best defenders. Like Bally Smart has, or so I understand. Never seen him.

But, if young Bally Smart has a nose for goal and  is strong enough then he should be fast tracked through to the first team squad. If you''re good enough'' you''re old enough. We keep our youngsters hanging around too long these days compared with many other clubs.

Anybody agree?

[Fabulous name for a footballer too - is Bally really his first name or is it a nickname?]

OTBC

I think he''s a great prospect and as you say he has blistering pace, would love to see him on the bench this season and given a chance.

Pace does seem to be more and more important. There was an interview on 5 Live last week with Craig Pickering, the UK''s no 2 100m sprinter, he was saying that a couple of younger players in the Premiership (Justin Hoyte of Arsenal was one, can''t remember the other..a Man City player?) used to sprint against him and beat him. They both went into football due to the money / prestige. Apparently the same thing happens in the US with sprinters and American football.

Never seen Smart play, but Croft was moving pretty damn quick against West Ham! Is he the fastest player at the club?

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

Never seen Smart play, but Croft was moving pretty damn quick against West Ham! Is he the fastest player at the club?

[/quote]

no Bally Smart is i think

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

Pace does seem to be more and more important. There was an interview on 5 Live last week with Craig Pickering, the UK''s no 2 100m sprinter, he was saying that a couple of younger players in the Premiership (Justin Hoyte of Arsenal was one, can''t remember the other..a Man City player?) used to sprint against him and beat him. They both went into football due to the money / prestige. Apparently the same thing happens in the US with sprinters and American football.

[/quote]otse looked very rapid against the hammers...i do think, in general, we lack pace. hucks isnt as fast as he used to be and i wouldnt put any of our first team players in the ''blistering pace'' category, croft is merely of average pace for a winger imho...

Blistering pace but not too good with the crosses. yet.

I seem to remember a certain young Foxy being very similar, and he didn''t turn out too bad did he?

I always think the most important speed is over the first few yards. If I remember rightly Duncan Forbes was the fastest over 100 yards in his day but he was probably slowest over the first 5 yards if that makes sense. Speed of thought combined with speed off the mark combined with blistering pace would be awesome.

Searing pace is never a substitute for technical ability. Yes pace is important, but I still believe players who can instantly bring a ball under control first time, and lay it off with his second are far superior in ability than a guy who is searing fast and fairly average technically. Take Adrian Forbes. He was blinding fast when he came through. But do you remember how many times his crosses went straight out of play? Far too many. I think too many football coaches are obsessed with physical attributes, like pace or strength, and rate them over technical ability, thinking they can teach technical ability. They are of course correct to a point. However, a guy with terrific pace, or great strength may never have the time to develop technically to a good enough standard. If such guys started their football at a young enough age, and played everyday over the next 10 years, then yes, they would be good enough in my opinion. But to come to play football seriously at say 14 or 15, with searing pace, or a big size, will not make you a top player, as the opportunity to develop will have passed them by. Look at Dickson Etuhu - that for me is a classic example of a guy with huge physical size being given preference over another guy with superior technical ability, as lets face it, Dickson was never that good technically in my opinion.

The best players are always those with the greatest technical ability, with the exception of centre backs. To be a top centre back requires four simple things: bravery, strength, height and positioning - so big galloots who can read the game basically.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

Searing pace is never a substitute for technical ability. Yes pace is important, but I still believe players who can instantly bring a ball under control first time, and lay it off with his second are far superior in ability than a guy who is searing fast and fairly average technically. Take Adrian Forbes. He was blinding fast when he came through. But do you remember how many times his crosses went straight out of play? Far too many. I think too many football coaches are obsessed with physical attributes, like pace or strength, and rate them over technical ability, thinking they can teach technical ability. They are of course correct to a point. However, a guy with terrific pace, or great strength may never have the time to develop technically to a good enough standard. If such guys started their football at a young enough age, and played everyday over the next 10 years, then yes, they would be good enough in my opinion. But to come to play football seriously at say 14 or 15, with searing pace, or a big size, will not make you a top player, as the opportunity to develop will have passed them by. Look at Dickson Etuhu - that for me is a classic example of a guy with huge physical size being given preference over another guy with superior technical ability, as lets face it, Dickson was never that good technically in my opinion.

The best players are always those with the greatest technical ability, with the exception of centre backs. To be a top centre back requires four simple things: bravery, strength, height and positioning - so big galloots who can read the game basically.

[/quote]

I was about to reply with

"Pace isn''t everything, remember adrian forbes" and you got in ahead of me!

Totally agree

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]

[/quote]

Totally agree.  Pace, Power, a good engine and other such things that the likes of Alan Hansen talk about are no replacement for talent.  Having pace is a bonus but players like Sheringham have done very well without it.  He never had any pace to lose which is why he is still playing now and why someone like Owen will not play long past he is 30.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I always think the most important speed is over the first few yards. If I remember rightly Duncan Forbes was the fastest over 100 yards in his day but he was probably slowest over the first 5 yards if that makes sense. Speed of thought combined with speed off the mark combined with blistering pace would be awesome.

[/quote]

That is truely amazing, having seen Duncan loads of times I would have put my mortgage on him being one of the slowest. Shows what I know! (also probably shows why I have still got a mortgage)

Perhaps the dodgy BBQ was just another  Grant ploy to improve the squads short term sprinting abilitys

[quote user="blacko"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

That is truely amazing, having seen Duncan loads of times I would have put my mortgage on him being one of the slowest. Shows what I know! (also probably shows why I have still got a mortgage)

[/quote]

I know mate! That was what I was told at the time though. They used to do loads of physical training in those days, running up and down hills with weights and stuff. But 100 yards is a long way in football terms and I guess Big Dunc could get up a head of steam! However, if a player is slow over the first 5/10 yards he will never catch up over 20/30 yards which I reckon is why Big Dunc looked slow. (I''m not gonna tell ''im though [;)] )

[quote user="nolegs"]Perhaps the dodgy BBQ was just another  Grant ploy to improve the squads short term sprinting abilitys[/quote]

But not much use if they are all making the wrong kind of runs..... [:S]