Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Just how 'great' is Colney?

I cannot find any images of Colney on Google... there''s one of the outside with the writing on the wall. I''d like to see images of the facilities, anyone have any links?

[quote user="Michael Starr"]I cannot find any images of Colney on Google... there''s one of the outside with the writing on the wall. I''d like to see images of the facilities, anyone have any links?[/quote]

you can go up there and have a butchers around the outside when u wtch them train.. have a word with some of the lads about the facilities... im sure they will tell u... Dion and Hucks have always got time for the fans ask them

jas :)

At the time it was first built I think it was acclaimed to be one of the top training facilities in all leagues.  Now, not sure as what do we compare it to?  Just other Championship sides, or Premiership facilities also.

As Jas says, anyone can go along and watch training and most of the players will stop and chat.  Haven''t been up there since PG took over so can''t say how chatty the management are these days.

Inside the building are state of the art changing and gym facilities, a very nice rest room/dining area and some offices.  I have been inside there a few times (notably with XXl16 on this board, when he came over a year or so ago on his annual pilgrimage!).  It was pouring with rain and NW invited us all inside for a coffee.  Yes, he may have been losing it on the pitch at the time, but he was a nice bloke!

When it was first built (under the Chase regime) I went up there a lot to get signatures with my kids when they were young.  If the training regime doesn''t grab you, you will see a lot of Mercedes and the rest parked in a long, long line    lol

I would email Neil Doncaster at NeilD@ncfc-canaries.co.uk, I am sure he could direct you to where there are pictures or info about Colney. 

I''ve played in there, and it is pretty awesome in there, feels just like Carrow Road''s turf (which i''ve also played on).

The outside pitches however were not in such great quality when i played on themmind you it had been a long hot summer....

the only pictures Doncaster will direct you to are ones of himself!!He''s in the paper more than the players

once u have been there if u walk up Colney Lane Hucks might offer u a lift then u can come on here and mention it in every other post.

jas :)

I was lucky enough to go to the pre-match press conference at West Ham''s Chadwell Heath training ground a couple of weeks ago, the day before they were set to play Bolton.

Their training groung was stuck in the middle of a housing estate and was certainly no more impressive than Colney and a fair bit more cramped.

Their press officer apparantly used to work for us at Colney but that was a bit before my time so I didn''t recognise her.

Saw Tevez getting mobbed for autographs and Anton Ferdinand quite the opposite which I thought was quite telling.

Always been quite impressed with the set-up at Colney whenever i''ve been there.

I''ve been an assistant referee at Colney for the U16s - the ground is immaculate, like a deep pile carpet. The changing facilities are pretty good, nice n clean with drinks provided, and the food served after the game was good too.

It''s possibly a bit of let down if you go there expecting everything to be wonderful because its a professional football club training ground, but it is what it is, a good well looked after facility, well organised and accomodating to players and officials, with a perfect playing/training surface.

Compared to facilities elsewhere in the region, of which I''ve seen many as a referee, it is comparably luxurious.

i have been there many times and it is a lovely training ground