Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

If I was worth 275 million pounds.

If I were worth 275 million pounds and being the passionate, lifelong Norwich City supporter from Norfolk that I am, and if my wife was also a lifelong fan, and if we wanted a new challenge in our lives, and if I had bought two seats on the NCFC board, and if I was really serious..............I would have already quietly resolved to risk [yes risk, not invest] at least 10% [or 27.5 million pounds] of my fortune on getting the club back into the premier league and establishing it there.

But then, that''s me.

Let''s see.

OTBC

If I could be any superhero, I''d like to be Wolverine off of the X-Men cos he kicks arse and has long metal claws!Sorry, this is the pointless dream-land thread, isn''t it??

If I was worth 275 million pounds

Maybe we should sing this when they play the Proclaimers next season!

Seriously though, lets hope that his long term plan is to invest more.  Perhaps more will be revealed after all our transfer dealings have gone through.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

If I were worth 275 million pounds and being the passionate, lifelong Norwich City supporter from Norfolk that I am, and if my wife was also a lifelong fan, and if we wanted a new challenge in our lives, and if I had bought two seats on the NCFC board, and if I was really serious..............I would have already quietly resolved to risk [yes risk, not invest] at least 10% [or 27.5 million pounds] of my fortune on getting the club back into the premier league and establishing it there.

But then, that''s me.

Let''s see.

OTBC

[/quote]

So, work out how much you are worth BBB - you don''t have to tell the rest of us.  In fact, all you who think the Turners should lend more do this exercise:

Add:

the value of your house,

pension fund,

investments,

car and other possessions,

insurances

cash.

Then take off all your debts.

Bet it amounts to more than you thought.

BUT - now look at how much you could raise in cash to spend on your hobby.   For most of us, it is a lot less than 10%.

I know nothing about the Turners except what I''ve read but although the numbers are bigger, the cash % will be similiar.  I have business associates worth £10 mil who cannot raise £20,000 in cash (2% to save you working it out) because it is all tied up in business assets that they cannot liquidate.  I would struggle to raise 0.2% of my nominal value.  A house is worth nothing till you sell and then where do you live?

Stop digging and perhaps be a little glad that the Club has £2mil more to spend than it did a week ago.

Staggering stupidity.

I know you post this drivel to get a bite, and I shouldn''t but...................................

Unbelievable

its a logical concusion, also fantastic business.

imagine spending £20 million to get us in the premiership, we''d then get a minimum of £30 million. if we stayed up more than one season we''d have made back the initial investment for whoever and be in the premier league.

go on, do it. u no u want to.

But then, that''s me.

Let''s see.

OTBC

[/quote]

How easy is is to spend other peoples money.

being "worth" and actually having are 2 different things.

you could be Worth 10 million pounds for example but only have 5p to your name... if u had 238 Million u could do anything with the money... if the turners had that money stuffed under the matress they would now be owners of the club i think.

jas :)

The ignorance contained in some of the replies on this thread is mind-boggling, aggressive spin and sheer misunderstanding of business, finance and economics. Of course, Andrew Turner doesn''t have 27.5m in his back pocket - neither does Abramovich. Are you telling me that Andrew couldn''t buy a luxury yacht and anchor it in Monte Carlo - if that was his fancy? Or find 30m to buy out a pesky competitor. His fancy is Norwich City and he is evidently ambitious for himself and City.

Now, I''m not going to get trapped in responding to directly cr*p (yet), but invite you to look at the Football Top 40 Group in the same Sunday Times Rich List 2007 (as posted below). And I ask you to look at Andrew''s wealth status compared, just for example, with Dave Whelan (Wigan), Mohammed-el-Fayed (Fulham), Steve Gibson (Middlesboro), John Madejski (Reading), Jack Hayward (Wolves) or Martin Edwards (Man Utd).

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/specials/rich_list/article1713774.ece

[:-*]

OTBC

P.S. The Sunday Times figures are minimum estimates of the listees'' wealth.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

But then, that''s me.

Let''s see.

OTBC

[/quote]

So, work out how much you are worth BBB - you don''t have to tell the rest of us.  In fact, all you who think the Turners should lend more do this exercise:

Add:

the value of your house,

pension fund,

investments,

car and other possessions,

insurances

cash.

Then take off all your debts.

Bet it amounts to more than you thought.

BUT - now look at how much you could raise in cash to spend on your hobby.   For most of us, it is a lot less than 10%.

I know nothing about the Turners except what I''ve read but although the numbers are bigger, the cash % will be similiar.  I have business associates worth £10 mil who cannot raise £20,000 in cash (2% to save you working it out) because it is all tied up in business assets that they cannot liquidate.  I would struggle to raise 0.2% of my nominal value.  A house is worth nothing till you sell and then where do you live?

Stop digging and perhaps be a little glad that the Club has £2mil more to spend than it did a week ago.

[/quote]

For your attention Cambridge.[:O]

Thanks BBB.  I did read that when I got the Rich List with my Sunday Times.  I also acknowledge your point about raising finance.  Your post gave me an opportunity to spell out the simple process of understanding liquidity as many posters clearly don''t.  You do, but you gave me a soap box.

I know nothing about the Turner''s business affairs or their company.  The firts thing to say is that the disclaimer/explanantion from the Sunday Times illustrates the guesstimate element of valuing a business like this.  However, even if the comapny is asset rich, the structure may well not make it cash rich.  I do have experience of other businesses in this and related sectors.

Secondary lenders (that is finance companies other than the main banks) raise money on the moneymarkets.  They will borrow money from banks and building societies etc at the best interest rates they can achieve.They then lend that money on.  The profit will be the difference between the costs of borrowing and the receipts from borrowers.  Each month, they will probably raise millions on short term loans and repay existing loans.  The assets are the loans out which have to be understated as they will have a significant risk of default.  That is one reason interets rates for secondary are so high.  If 20% of the money you lend is going to disappear, you need to make sufficent profit on the other 80% to cover it.

The company may well reinvest profits in loans to increase profits by removing the loan element.  It may well have significant cash reserves to protect it against adverse situations.  Any £30mil purchase would be leveraged with investment borrowings.

A business of this size would have a p/e of at least 10.   Assuming that the Turners that the ST estimate of £275 mil is accurate, that would suggest annual profits the Turners for their share of the business of £27.5mil.  Your original starting figure.  Even if true, most people don''t have their whole annual income as disposable money

Beyond these points, I am not sure what your responses are actually saying.   I undoubtedly have a deficient understanding of finance, economics and business and please direct me to where I am specifically missing the point.

All I''m saying Cambridge, is that if Andrew Turner really wants to own and lead NCFC into a successful future, he will have very few problems assembling 27.5m pounds (say) to do it.

He and his wife have stated that they are ready for new challenges.

Whelan, el-Fayed, Gibson, Madejski, Hayward, Edwards et al have done it. Why not Andrew?

It''s not rocket science.

It''s ambition plus passion plus nous plus strategy plus resources..........and the will to make things happen.

What a wonderful, wonderful challenge to be able to take up.

That''s all I''m saying.

One love.

OTBC

[quote user="Misery Guts"]How depressing the state of the game, that we look to rich lists and bank balances to place our desires and dreams.[/quote]

And when was it never so, Misery?

It''s just at a higher level and so much more in our faces these days.

Cheer up. Dreams - even broken dreams - are better than nightmares

OTBC

All I''m saying Cambridge, is that if Andrew Turner really wants to own and lead NCFC into a successful future, he will have very few problems assembling 27.5m pounds (say) to do it.

Whelan, el-Fayed, Gibson, Madejski, Hayward, Edwards et al have done it. Why not Andrew?

It''s ambition plus passion plus nous plus strategy plus resources..........and the will to make things happen.

That''s all I''m saying.

One love.

OTBC

I certainly agree with that proposition BBB.  How blessed it would be to not only fulfil our own dreams but everyone else''s too!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

That''s all I''m saying.

One love.

OTBC

I certainly agree with that proposition BBB.  How blessed it would be to not only fulfil our own dreams but everyone else''s too!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote][/quote]

Of course, if you did have 275 million or whatever, you''d probably want to risk just a couple of million in the beginning until you are sure exactly what you''re getting yourself into. No doubt this is exactly what the Turners are doing.