Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Grant needs a full season in charge

It seems that fans are divided into two camps of either Grant hasn''t changed much and may not be the right decison or lets give him more time.  Of course there may be a third group of fans who are delighted with Grant.  I wouldn''t say I am delighted with Grant but nor would I say nothing has changed, so I am very much in give the man a chance camp.  Of course Grant could have done better, but lets also remember that we could so easily of been relegated this season.

Grant of course has made some changes with the role for Gunn and bringing Duffy in and we have a man who is very honest, speaks his mind and is clearly very passionate about this club.  Those kind of qualities were severly lacking from the previous regime.  Personally I haven''t really begun judging Grant yet because for the most part he has been left with Worthington''s players.  Now make no mistake this is a descent quad when everyone is fit, but there is no way we have anywhere near the depth needed to challenge.  Grant has his work cut out getting rid of the deadwood and bringing in quality.  Now from the start of the new season Grant ought to have the squad he wants, so lets start juding him then.  If at the end of next season we have had a similar year and finish mid table then I may admit Grant was the wrong choice.  That said if we finish in the top six then Grant was the right choice.  Therefore for all those asking how much time to give, well lets start judging him next season and if he failures to deliver I will have no problems if he is sacked.

Well put JK, a very sensible and honest post. It annoys me sometimes when I read posts from people on here, or stuff at Carrow Road, along the lines of  ''Nope, not good enough, sack him'' or, even more crazy, ''We need Worthington back'' as some prat who sits behind me in the Lower Barclay once said! I think Grant knows EXACTLY what he wants to do, who he wants to bring in and who he wants to get rid of. I also agree when you say Grant''s got his work cut out in getting rid of who he wants to - who the hell would want Peter Thorne, MLJ, Paul Gallacher, Gary Donkey etc., bar possibly some lower league clubs?? And then there''s bringing in the quality that is so badly needed. The board have indicated that there is cash to spend but the big question is: Will what is given to Grant be enough and will it be funded by the possible sale of Earnshaw??

Things have been pretty rotten this season, but I still believe that Grant has saved us from relegation - which is where we were heading, like it or not, under Worthington. However another season like this one should not be tolerated by anyone at Carrow Road and I, like you, will have no problem at all if he''s sacked. Somehow, despite an almost total non-showing against Southampton, I can''t actually see that happening. I just cannot see him tolerating any more performances like that for next season.

If things do go belly-up again next season and he gets the sack, then I think we could already have a ready-made replacement in Jim Duffy who I think does have first team managerial experience (please correct me if I''m wrong).

Whatever happens, whatever the opinions held, at no point should we be dividing into two groups again... please...

Not when there is only ONE football club in the middle...

[quote user="mbncfc"]

Whatever happens, whatever the opinions held, at no point should we be dividing into two groups again... please...

[/quote]

Too late I''m afraid.  I don''t align myself with more than a handful of the City fans on here...and only by splitting as you put it will we get the club back on it''s feet.  The flow on here is for keeping faith in DS and Grant while hoping "everything will turn out fine in the end".  In reality there are a great many unhappy CR regulars who are at full stretch right now...and when they snap Delia''s knickers will well and truly fall down.

As for one club?  Sadly there are now two.  The one DS and her puppets are running today...and the one which still belongs to the people of Norfolk.  I support one and not the other.  Next season my loyalties will stay with the "spirit" of Norwich City and what happens on the pitch with the other one will be below my radar.

You keep yours and I''ll keep mine....then we''ll swap back again when your lot have totally buggered it up and don''t want to play any more.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

Too late I''m afraid.  I don''t align myself with more than a handful of the City fans on here...and only by splitting as you put it will we get the club back on it''s feet.  The flow on here is for keeping faith in DS and Grant while hoping "everything will turn out fine in the end".  In reality there are a great many unhappy CR regulars who are at full stretch right now...and when they snap Delia''s knickers will well and truly fall down.

As for one club?  Sadly there are now two.  The one DS and her puppets are running today...and the one which still belongs to the people of Norfolk.  I support one and not the other.  Next season my loyalties will stay with the "spirit" of Norwich City and what happens on the pitch with the other one will be below my radar.

You keep yours and I''ll keep mine....then we''ll swap back again when your lot have totally buggered it up and don''t want to play any more.

[/quote]

Better get yourself off to your new virtual club/forum then clickclockticktock....

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

If things do go belly-up again next season and he gets the sack, then I think we could already have a ready-made replacement in Jim Duffy who I think does have first team managerial experience (please correct me if I''m wrong).

[/quote]

Jim Duffy....

Played:  325

Won: 109

Drawn: 95

Lost:  121

http://www.soccerbase.com/managers2.sd?managerid=1529

Not exactly spectacular by any stretch, both his last jobs have ended with the team he managed getting relegated at the end of the season.  I don''t know the ins and outs of it all however...

ok you lot your comments are open and fair .

yes we know are club is in a bit of transition but the fact of the matter is this .

if your not happy with it then you are entitled to your opinion if you dont like it go elsewhere and watch somebody else.

whether we like it or not agree disagree we have to get on with it and yes we go to games pay our  money  voice our views very rarely does it change things .

il now be in my 27th year and ive seen it all .

so come on guys and dolls lets get behind em and the rest of the club and see what happens

remember what will be will be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

...And what is your contingency plan Cluck should things actually turn out the other way. You of course will keep your principles in tact by staying away.

...And when you''re old and grey you''ll look back and think what???

I think your protestations are getting dull. Time to shut up, we all know what you think zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[|-)]

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

I think your protestations are getting dull. Time to shut up, we all know what you think zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[|-)]

[/quote]

I''d prefer it if you let me speak & think for myself  Ween Nasty, Cluck, in my opinion, is one of the few on here who tells it like it really is.

If it come down to chosing your views or Clucks, then Cluck wins hands down........................every single time!.

The guys a Pink Un messageboard cult hero in my book.

I can see this thread going horribly off-topic very quickly so everyone please stick to the subject. Many thanks!

i think Grant has done a good job with whats available to him thus far..

Lets face it he isnt going to get the millions that somebody like Steve Bruce has...

he is trying to scour all accross Europe for players the club can afford and is trying to get them to choose us over perhaps more tastier options.. where the big payouts might be.

He seems to be able to spot a bargain in Chadwick, and good players in Lappin, Marshall and Warner.. although he has got it wrong with Brown and fozzy perhaps.. but then find me a manager who has had 100% success with his signings?

He does seem to know what he is doing, and does speak his mind.

If we get relegated next season it would be done to mroe the board not performing rather than Grant getting it wrong i think. I feel he''d leave if the board let him down and we would go on to regret it.

He knows what it takes to get a team promoted and acheive some success having been an assistent and enjoyed 2 promotions (readign and West ham), an FA cup final and europe in his coaching career. Surely he has learnt from Pardew... and if he does half as well as Alan has then we will be alright.

jas :)

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

[/quote]

I''d prefer it if you let me speak & think for myself  Ween Nasty, Cluck, in my opinion, is one of the few on here who tells it like it really is.

If it come down to chosing your views or Clucks, then Cluck wins hands down........................every single time!.

The guys a Pink Un messageboard cult hero in my book.

[/quote]

Cult hero indeed... [:D]

I think he needs a fair crack of the whip, but once again it will all depend on how much hard cash he is given to spend, because no matter how positive you are we have a thin squad, which will be even thinner when (if?) PG gets rid of the deadwood. I would have thought come Jan 08 we should have a good idea of whether we have progresed under him or not, but to labour the point he needs financial backing from the board.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]I can see this thread going horribly off-topic very quickly so everyone please stick to the subject. Many thanks![/quote]

I will of course remain as restrained as usual Pete....but just like with Chinese whispers, by the time it has passed by several individuals it will have become totally unrecognisable.....rather like my once pretty childhood sweetheart I''m sad to say.......

Why do women deteriorate so much faster than men I wonder?             [^o)]

It''s impossible to say whether Grant is going to have a good or bad next season at this point in time, I don''t think any of us will have much of a clue of what to expect from next season until 5 or 10 matches in, maybe more.  I''d expect quite a few old faces out, and new faces in, as Grant takes another step towards getting his team together.  The transfer window restricts the ability of new managers to turn clubs around quickly - Keane has managed a huge turnaround to be fair at Sunderland, but he had serious backing from his board to enable him to push for promotion.  Hopefully in shaking off some high earning low performers, we will also shake off some of the inertia that has been with the club for too long.  In order to do that though, Grant must be given at least some financial muscle to barter against the Premiership relegatees for at least a  few key purchases, or we will be left looking in on the shop while the best buys go to Adie Boothroyd or Alan Curbishley.

grant will get it right next season,wse have no option unless someone else is going to buy the club and pump in loads off money .we should back him 100% and hope the crap unworthy bought goes so we can  reunite and take this club forward,  negitive comments get teams nowear just look at leeds,bradford ,forestetc do i need to go on? remember the Norwegians how where going to take Wimbledon to challenge with the best and look at them now  

[quote user="Cluck "]

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]I can see this thread going horribly off-topic very quickly so everyone please stick to the subject. Many thanks![/quote]

I will of course remain as restrained as usual Pete....but just like with Chinese whispers, by the time it has passed by several individuals it will have become totally unrecognisable.....rather like my once pretty childhood sweetheart I''m sad to say.......

[/quote]

tut, tut, tut Cluck... you can''t say that you will have the PC brigade up in arms again!!!

This is the reason that you need to get a model that is nearly half your age like me....  Unlike those in the City boardroom you need to plan for the future.

As for Grant getting a full season in charge... there is just as much chance of them raising the titanic next year imo

Why are so many City fans already resigned to watching another season of utter c**p???

There will be demo''s taking place by October... mark my words!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

tut, tut, tut Cluck... you can''t say that you will have the PC brigade up in arms again!!!

This is the reason that you need to get a model that is nearly half your age like me....  Unlike those in the City boardroom you need to plan for the future.

As for Grant getting a full season in charge... there is just as much chance of them raising the titanic next year imo

Why are so many City fans already resigned to watching another season of utter c**p???

[/quote]

Smudger, do you have a crystal ball in your handbag or something? You, like me and everybody else on this board, have absolutely NO idea of what next season''s going to be like. Will you be pi**ed off if we mount a serious promotion challenge and if we do, will you be pi**ed off because you won''t have too much cause to moan??

Peter Grant is by no means perfect (who is?) but, and this is what people seem to keep overlooking, he has actually stopped us from being relegated!

As for your prediction of ''demo''s taking place by October'', you''d absolutely LOVE to see that happen wouldn''t you?!

FFS GIVE GRANT A CHANCE!!! [:@]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Offering it on a plate there Smudger???[+o(]

[quote]There will be demo''s taking place by October... mark my words!!![/quote]Superb - another season of endless fan unrest and revolution.  Is this where we are now, promotion or revolt ?  What happened to giving people time to settle in and prove themselves ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]There will be demo''s taking place by October... mark my words!!![/quote]

Superb - another season of endless fan unrest and revolution.  Is this where we are now, promotion or revolt ?  What happened to giving people time to settle in and prove themselves ?
[/quote]

No, more like just another season of "let''s wait and see" like the last two if it was left to "keep the faith" pacifists like you.

Sometimes you have to stand up and be counted....and if you figure out that Worthington''s public lynching was little more than a distraction for this Board''s ineptitude....only half the job has been done.

Go down with the sinking ship if you like....but don''t take everyone else down with you.

Of course Grant needs a full season in charge - within certain bounds.  We need to be within striking distance of the play-offs by Christmas in my book.  What happens before that won''t carry particular weight in my book - the progress must be generally upwards so if we have a few blips on the way it won''t be overly significant.  Positive signs will include a much more solid defensive performance from the whole team and greater variation in creative areas.

My forecast is that Grant will prove capable of achieving all of the above and Smudgelet''s October Revolution will involve a lonely vigil out on the street.

August 64