Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Typical

[quote user="7rew"]Smudger, check on the difference in meanings of the words CAN and WILL.

We CAN still leave this league in either direction.  Realistically, we WILL do neither.

We CAN still finish above Derby (23pts behind with 24pts remaining). We WILL, realistically, finish below them.

[/quote]

ok, ok hands up you have me there 7rew...

I had to try and whip you lot up in to a frenzy somehow though didn''t I???

I must admit that I probably never envisaged us actually going down and that we would hang on by the skins of our teeth...  It looks like we have well and truly done that now (with something to spare)... still 15th place is hardly something to celebrate given what the club has been aiming to do these past two years is it???

I will admit that I use spin... but only to counter act the spin of the board and it''s worshippers!!!

[quote user="Alex"][quote user="Cluck "]

Agreed Smudger...it seems that avoiding relegation with a poor team is now something to celebrate. I''ve joined you (and many others) in staying away from the club until DS and Co. depart....for no other reason than I was rapidly losing interest in the club (2007 style) and it''s fortunes. After 40 odd years of endless ups and downs....this has never happened to me before.

Naturally I wish them well...but after this May I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity. Protest is only worthwhile if others share the view that the club is floundering....but being so easily pleased, it seems Delia Smith has the modern day fans exactly where she wants them...in "Little old Norwich" mode going nowhere.

Not for me I''m afraid.

[/quote]

As usual more chickensh1te...

How many on this forum support Norwich because of Delia and celebrity then Cluck?!?

Get in the real world Cluck, if you think the modern supporter see''s Delia as a celebrity icon, and supports Norwich due to this, then you are VERY much mistaken. It''s hardly like when the Gallagher brothers stormed the mid 90''s music scene and all the teenagers were then suddenly running around wearing Man City tops...(''Always f00kin supported ''em mate, mad fer it'').

Laughable.

[/quote]

What a silly little fellow you are to be sure. In the real world (and not on this small forum)...DS is the celebrity figurehead and image of NCFC in 2007....and very little else is known about the club other than that. Just more "denialist" claptrap from a blinkered modern club "follower" who knows no better.

Try travelling about a bit outside of your limited world and you will soon find this out.....

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I certainly agree with Macdougall on this - Smudger et al do seem to think their opinion is the only one that is right and claim to be ''the realists'' of these Boards; the problem with that is that he stated categorically only a few weeks ago that we were certainties for relegatation and just 6 games ago insisted we would do no better than 47 points. That we are already 3 ahead of this target with 8 games remaining does suggest that several other more appropriate words exist rather than ''realism'' for what he espouses!

[/quote]

hehehe So says a member of the we can reach the play-off''s brigade!!!

[/quote]

Yes, that''s right - come back with the catch-all assumption that anyone who disagrees with you is ultra optimistic to the other extreme.  You seem to find it impossible to assume that some people can be somewhere in-between, thinking that NCFC is neither always rotten nor always right.  Sorry to burst your ego, but I think that is where the majority sit, and I am firmly in that position myself.

At the same time (and on the very same thread) as your ultra pessimistic/''realistic'' prediction with 14 games left, of relegation and 47pts, I said we would get 58 (which is even looking a bit low) and finish about 12th-14th.  Now in the world I live in, neither 12th-14th place nor 58pts constitute a play-off prediction!!  It was nice to dream that it might happen but it was never really likely, certainly not after the poor Christmas results.

All that said, imo there is actually nothing at all wrong in being optimistic - I would much rather than than being gloom and doom all the time, and I certainly would never criticise someone for looking on the positive side of things. 

Smudger if you fancy discussing this over a beer why don''t we meet up at the KC Stadium on Good Friday,  you should have plenty of time on your hands as there is no demo to organise anymore!

Come on Smudger you haven''t answered my invitation, as you can see your first pint is on me, fancy going?

I thought cluck and smudger had gone off..on holiday perhaps..And here''s me with no welcome back card...

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Cluck "]

Agreed Smudger...it seems that avoiding relegation with a poor team is now something to celebrate. I''ve joined you (and many others) in staying away from the club until DS and Co. depart....for no other reason than I was rapidly losing interest in the club (2007 style) and it''s fortunes. After 40 odd years of endless ups and downs....this has never happened to me before.

Naturally I wish them well...but after this May I will just wait patiently in the wings until matters "improve"...and Norfolk finally gets it''s club back from the grip of celebrity. Protest is only worthwhile if others share the view that the club is floundering....but being so easily pleased, it seems Delia Smith has the modern day fans exactly where she wants them...in "Little old Norwich" mode going nowhere.

Not for me I''m afraid.

[/quote]

How many on this forum support Norwich because of Delia and celebrity then Cluck?!?

Get in the real world Cluck, if you think the modern supporter see''s Delia as a celebrity icon, and supports Norwich due to this, then you are VERY much mistaken. It''s hardly like when the Gallagher brothers stormed the mid 90''s music scene and all the teenagers were then suddenly running around wearing Man City tops...(''Always f00kin supported ''em mate, mad fer it'').

Laughable.

[/quote]

What a silly little fellow you are to be sure. In the real world (and not on this small forum)...DS is the celebrity figurehead and image of NCFC in 2007....and very little else is known about the club other than that. Just more "denialist" claptrap from a blinkered modern club "follower" who knows no better.

Try travelling about a bit outside of your limited world and you will soon find this out.....

[/quote]

Well twisted your royal highness...

So where did I say that Delia isn''t a celebrity figurehead/image of NCFC then?!. I wouldn''t dispute this fact. What I said was she hasn''t influenced the amount of people to become followers of NCFC like you suggest (the ''modern day follower'' haha). C''mon Cluck, you can do better than that...WHO are these modern day fans that follow Norwich because of Delia then???. 

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Cluck "]

Not for me I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Laughable.

[/quote]

[/quote]

actually clucky you maybe wrong on the whole delia being the image of NCFC.... most people i talk to about the club mention hucks... delia is just what the media target, tamworth for example went on about delia for awhile etc

[quote user="Polar1990"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Alex"][quote user="Cluck "]

Not for me I''m afraid.

[/quote]

Laughable.

[/quote]

[/quote]

actually clucky you maybe wrong on the whole delia being the image of NCFC.... most people i talk to about the club mention hucks... delia is just what the media target, tamworth for example went on about delia for awhile etc

[/quote]

To be fair, he is the sort of individual who would be swayed by Tabloid belief. He would also be swayed by a light breeze, so not a substantial source by any means. More akin to a weed in a field of flowers.

A bright young manager?   Surely what Grant has delivered is the very least that any City fan would of accepted from a new manager (no more, no less)???

Turn the club around???  We were never in any danger of going down in most peoples eyes (apparantly).

His budget will be £millions next season?   Don''t make me laugh!!!

I agree that Grant is doing well with the little money he has been given...  I do not believe that Worthy (in his later days) would of got 2 reasonable players in (Chadwick & Lappin) if he was given only £500k plus to spend on bringing 4 new players in... two out of 4 with that kind of money to spend is pretty good going in anybody''s books.

and finally you have stated what I believe to be true of most City fans... you would be happy with another season of mid-table dross next season....

I Thank You!!!

I don''t think you are understanding my point. You seem to think that anyone not screaming for Delia''s head on a platter is happy with our league position and happy with the state of the club. The last few seasons have been difficult for all fans, not just you. Worthy took a huge gamble putting together a small squad on big wages, it didn''t work, he has been sacked. This squad now has to be dismantled to a large extent and rebuilt, without the benefit of parachute payments. The club needs turning around so we are fighting at the top of the league not the bottom. Many fans see this progress has started, but understand it can''t happen over night. If we play better football with better spirit next season, and bring in some good young and ambitious players next season (and get 6 points off the scummers) I would be happy with a mid-table finish, as it would show we are turning things around. However, I am not happy with the last few seasons and I won''t be happy if mid-table continues. If you want to class this as ''happy with mid-table mediocrity'' purely to support your own argument, then we might as well finish the debate now because you obviously AREN''T interested in the debate.

You mention 500k on 4 players, but forget wages and agents fees. God only knows what the agents fees are. Wages, perhaps 5,000 per week each would be realistic, over a year that would be over 1 million spent on 4 players. For a squad of 26, you can see that the budget for next season WILL be millions - why do you only count the transfer fee?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Smudger

I really would have been interested in your answer to the question I put to you in my earlier post.

[/quote]

Sorry Nutty... here you go...

Nobody says that it will be easy to win promotion... we should however look like we are capable of challenging for it at least (something we have not done for one minute since relegation).

Yes there will be other teams going all out for promotion... I am not saying that we should outspend them all, but we should at least be offering similar amounts of money for players as a lot of those clubs will be offering.

If West Ham, Charlton, Watford, Leicester, Sunderland, Derby, Wolves or whoever are spending £4million or £5million then why aren''t we spending at least £2million plus???

If we spend a little bit of money on a few half decent players then that maybe enough to make us serious promotion contenders rather than a team that will win 2, lose 4 and end up in mid-table yet again.

The board need to give Grant every penny they can... as you rightly say he has a difficult enough job on his hands as it is, without them making him try to perform miracles in handcuffs!!!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I certainly agree with Macdougall on this - Smudger et al do seem to think their opinion is the only one that is right and claim to be ''the realists'' of these Boards; the problem with that is that he stated categorically only a few weeks ago that we were certainties for relegatation and just 6 games ago insisted we would do no better than 47 points. That we are already 3 ahead of this target with 8 games remaining does suggest that several other more appropriate words exist rather than ''realism'' for what he espouses!

[/quote]

hehehe So says a member of the we can reach the play-off''s brigade!!!

[/quote]

Yes, that''s right - come back with the catch-all assumption that anyone who disagrees with you is ultra optimistic to the other extreme.  You seem to find it impossible to assume that some people can be somewhere in-between, thinking that NCFC is neither always rotten nor always right.  Sorry to burst your ego, but I think that is where the majority sit, and I am firmly in that position myself.

At the same time (and on the very same thread) as your ultra pessimistic/''realistic'' prediction with 14 games left, of relegation and 47pts, I said we would get 58 (which is even looking a bit low) and finish about 12th-14th.  Now in the world I live in, neither 12th-14th place nor 58pts constitute a play-off prediction!!  It was nice to dream that it might happen but it was never really likely, certainly not after the poor Christmas results.

All that said, imo there is actually nothing at all wrong in being optimistic - I would much rather than than being gloom and doom all the time, and I certainly would never criticise someone for looking on the positive side of things. 

[/quote]

Where did you say that we would finish at the start of the season though Branston???

Bet you were spouting play-off''s/promotion early doors weren''t you???

[quote user="Rupethebear"]

Smudger if you fancy discussing this over a beer why don''t we meet up at the KC Stadium on Good Friday,  you should have plenty of time on your hands as there is no demo to organise anymore!

Come on Smudger you haven''t answered my invitation, as you can see your first pint is on me, fancy going?

[/quote]

ehm how''s about NO???

If you would like to trawl up some of my old posts then you will see that I have not attended a match since Cardiff at home (last season) and that I have clearly stated that I will not be attending until Delia slings her hook.

As much as I would love to join you for a pint Rupert, I will not be travelling all the way up to Hull for that honour!!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Smudger

I really would have been interested in your answer to the question I put to you in my earlier post.

[/quote]

Nobody says that it will be easy to win promotion... we should however look like we are capable of challenging for it at least (something we have not done for one minute since relegation).

Yes there will be other teams going all out for promotion... I am not saying that we should outspend them all, but we should at least be offering similar amounts of money for players as a lot of those clubs will be offering.

If West Ham, Charlton, Watford, Leicester, Sunderland, Derby, Wolves or whoever are spending £4million or £5million then why aren''t we spending at least £2million plus???

If we spend a little bit of money on a few half decent players then that maybe enough to make us serious promotion contenders rather than a team that will win 2, lose 4 and end up in mid-table yet again.

The board need to give Grant every penny they can... as you rightly say he has a difficult enough job on his hands as it is, without them making him try to perform miracles in handcuffs!!!

[/quote]

They certainly need to make some money available for Grant to bring some players in, and those who are released (and I am expecting a few) will free up some decent wage space. I am sure Thorne, McVeigh and MLJ are on a fair wedge.

The second part of the key to me though is that they also try to keep as many of the quality players we already have. The gamble must include trying to keep Safri and Earnshaw here especially.

I see this as equally important to success next season. But I''m not sure it will happen....

Smudger,

i) you were saying that we WOULD be relegated.

ii) just because i disagree with you and am not vehemently anti everything connected with the club at present does not make me or anyone else in the same position a ''board worshipper''.

Now, if you will let me know which part/s of either of those sentences you are having difficulty in understanding i will gladly elaborate.    

[quote user="Smudger"]

Where did you say that we would finish at the start of the season though Branston???

[/quote]You realise how ridiculous you and Cluck make yourselves look with these kind of statements, along with the assertion that anyone who doesn''t agree with is a "Delia Worshipper". I''m particularly enjoying the fact that you''re both now beginning to play the "oh we were only winding you up" card... Though Smudgelkins has only now started after CluckyWucky began it... BAAAAAAAA, anyone?There''s such a thing as being gracious in defeat...

I have a feeling some people still wouldn''t be happy if Norwich were promoted winning every game 5-0.Unless the board can be replaced by someone who can put money into the team what is the point of getting rid of them? - I''m more than happy for the board to be replaced if someone can spend some decent money.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Smudger

[/quote]

[/quote]

Like I said Smudger, there will be at least 14 clubs whose fans expect one of those top 6 places. Investement will no way garauntee success. This Board sanctioned a wage bill of around 9m last season and we didn''t even spend one week in the top six. I wonder if the Watford Board invested so heavily in their team, I doubt it, and yet they were top six for most of the season and got promotion.

I  haven''t been on this board much for the past few months, and quite honestly if this post is typical, I haven''t missed much.... All I can say is no, the club''s not perfect...but it''s a hell of a lot better than this time last season....so Delia and co didn''t get rid of Worthington soon enough, and they (and us) have paid dearly for it... ie the cost of a possible play off place.

For what it''s worth I have actually enjoyed the past few games....Brum and Derby were a vast improvement on the first part of the season and I think Grant has the right approach.... Would NW have played Chris Martin upfront?  What do you all think?

We are playing with more team spirit, more attack minded emphasis and the atmosphere in the ground is distinctly better....no it''s not perfect and never will be....it''s football and therefore littered with human error and all our hopes and dreams, not guarantees.

For all you moaners....just read this...next season I will not be seeing any games that clash with Man U home games as I will be working up there.....so feel sorry for me... I would rather be watching NCFC than that lot, still it''s life I suppose...A girl has to give up a lot for her dream job - even her football team...It will however be interesting seeing how the other half live...Wonder if I get a prawn sandwich or two?

It''s a shame there is still dissent and petty behaviour on here - I have always loved this site more than the others...Things really are not THAT bad...we have a future now..This time last season we did not. 

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]

I  haven''t been on this board much for the past few months, and quite honestly if this post is typical, I haven''t missed much.... All I can say is no, the club''s not perfect...but it''s a hell of a lot better than this time last season....so Delia and co didn''t get rid of Worthington soon enough, and they (and us) have paid dearly for it... ie the cost of a possible play off place.

For what it''s worth I have actually enjoyed the past few games....Brum and Derby were a vast improvement on the first part of the season and I think Grant has the right approach.... Would NW have played Chris Martin upfront?  What do you all think?

We are playing with more team spirit, more attack minded emphasis and the atmosphere in the ground is distinctly better....no it''s not perfect and never will be....it''s football and therefore littered with human error and all our hopes and dreams, not guarantees.

For all you moaners....just read this...next season I will not be seeing any games that clash with Man U home games as I will be working up there.....so feel sorry for me... I would rather be watching NCFC than that lot, still it''s life I suppose...A girl has to give up a lot for her dream job - even her football team...It will however be interesting seeing how the other half live...Wonder if I get a prawn sandwich or two?

It''s a shame there is still dissent and petty behaviour on here - I have always loved this site more than the others...Things really are not THAT bad...we have a future now..This time last season we did not. 

[/quote]

Good luck with the job Gazza.

Which squad number will you be wearing? Will you be playing off Rooney or alongside Rio? [;)]
(warning: some people may not appreciate a woman playing a man''s game... [^o)])

Welcome to Manc Land.If you want to watch any televised games up here with another yellow shirt around, just give us a yell.

sorry, missunderstood your post.should have realised that everyone up here is a man city fan!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

You realise how ridiculous you and Cluck make yourselves look with these kind of statements, along with the assertion that anyone who doesn''t agree with is a "Delia Worshipper". I''m particularly enjoying the fact that you''re both now beginning to play the "oh we were only winding you up" card... Though Smudgelkins has only now started after CluckyWucky began it... BAAAAAAAA, anyone?

There''s such a thing as being gracious in defeat...
[/quote]

Oh dear...who''s dummy''s been thrown out of his pram? Some of us realised very early on that it is pointless trying to interact with a brick wall....The alternative being...... have a bit of fun with it.

Nothing said on here affects the world order in any way shape or form....but it''s a great medium for seeing who takes themselves over seriously. That I''m afraid is where you come in nicely EM.

Relax and light a nice bonfire.  You''ll feel alot better for it.        [:)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

You realise how ridiculous you and Cluck make yourselves look with these kind of statements, along with the assertion that anyone who doesn''t agree with is a "Delia Worshipper". I''m particularly enjoying the fact that you''re both now beginning to play the "oh we were only winding you up" card... Though Smudgelkins has only now started after CluckyWucky began it... BAAAAAAAA, anyone?

[/quote]

I''m surprised it took so long EM, but as you can see from Clucks reply he just dosen''t do GRACIOUS. Neither in defeat or victory.

Please don''t wind him up anymore.

I''m now off to the sheep-dip for a splash with my plastic Delia Doll before getting shorn Baah Baah.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh dear...who''s dummy''s been thrown out of his pram? Some of us realised very early on that it is pointless trying to interact with a brick wall....The alternative being...... have a bit of fun with it.

Nothing said on here affects the world order in any way shape or form....but it''s a great medium for seeing who takes themselves over seriously. That I''m afraid is where you come in nicely EM.

Relax and light a nice bonfire.  You''ll feel alot better for it.        [:)]

[/quote]

Eeeek watch out EM... Clucky has a bit of a thing for you!!!  [:P]

I have clearly stated that I will not be attending until Delia slings her hook.

Oh dear, whilst I respect your principals I fear you may not see a game for many a year as I reckon Delia is here for the long haul.

Imagen the pain missing out on a play off final or a promotion season, come on as the saying goes no individual is bigger than the club.

Tell you what Smudger, as you couldn''t enjoy my hospitality at the KC, you choose the game next season and I will buy you a ticket.

Perhaps we could try and meet up with Delia for a cup of tea after the game if our friends from the Pink Un can make it happen?!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good grief. This is all rather sad. 

At the start of the season I - surely along with all supporters? - was hoping that we would get promoted, or to the play-offs.  Is it a crime to be optimistic? No.  I also didn''t realise it was a crime to spend £1000+ a season following my club whilst hoping they do as well as I want: to me the idea of being a supporter is that you hope they do well but you stick by them whatever.

It is rather sad that you still seem to think of yourself as a supporter when you seem to do very little ''supporting'', yet seem to feel the need to ridicule those who do.

[quote user="Rupethebear"]

Oh dear, whilst I respect your principals I fear you may not see a game for many a year as I reckon Delia is here for the long haul.

Imagen the pain missing out on a play off final or a promotion season, come on as the saying goes no individual is bigger than the club.

Tell you what Smudger, as you couldn''t enjoy my hospitality at the KC, you choose the game next season and I will buy you a ticket.

Perhaps we could try and meet up with Delia for a cup of tea after the game if our friends from the Pink Un can make it happen?!

[/quote]

mmmm ok your having a laugh now....   maybe I will take you up on that offer if Delia & Granty can get us anywhere near having a chance of the play-off''s come next May!!!

Ah my dear Clucky Egg, you are a one aren''t you... of course, it''s completely impossible that anyone other than yourself and Smudger are on a wind-up here... As I''ve said on other threads in the past, Clucky and Smudge baiting is immense amounts of fun - it''s almost a sport!  Unfortunately we''ve not had as many bites these days, mainly because of your conspicuous absence from most threads that aren''t about or started by yourselves...My point above was that it seems to me that you''ve spent 6 months on here trying to organise protests and spouting toot about Squeelia, then suddenly realised that if you didn''t become more ''playful'' you''d be in danger of being on the receiving end of a Norfolk lynch mob, complete with pitch forks and burning torches... I enjoy the "new" Cluck, I must say, but the whole notion that you''ve been like this all along is simply ridiculous... do you even read your own posts?Something tells me it''s backs to the walls time, lads... [:S]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Rupethebear"]

[/quote]

mmmm ok your having a laugh now....   maybe I will take you up on that offer if Delia & Granty can get us anywhere near having a chance of the play-off''s come next May!!!

[/quote]

Considering we''ll start next season with zero points and 46 games to play like everyone else, I think we already have something near a chance of reaching the playoffs next season...