Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Win the lottery - buy the club?

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]

Buy outs seem all the rage...

A poser for the forum...if you won £20 million on the lottery would you try and buy the club?? I must admit I sometimes ponder this...

[/quote]Not a chance I''d keep every last penny to meself, cos I''m a right tight b@st@rd me!

You gotta be joking - what buy the club and have people like Smudger slagging you off at every opportunity - no I don''t think so - plus the family would get really hacked off if I did that I think.

Buy the club?  No - its a  no win situation both as a fan and an investment.

I would look to make a cash donation to boost squad funding.

No I wouldn''t buy the club if I won £20 million. 

I would invest £5 million initially, want a place on the board and insist that £3-4 million of my money was used to strengthen the squad.

I don''t think £20 million would be enough, considering the club''s financial status, the need to move the club forward and bring in new players.

If you won £20 million you wouldn''t put all your eggs in one basket and invest it all, well I wouldn''t anyway.  I think you would need many millions to get the club moving in the right direction, otherwise the club will still be in the same position it is now, just with different owners.

You would need to have enough money to buy out the major shareholders, clear some debts, and I would say be willing to invest at least £5 million on players in the summer, but more realisitically closer to £10 million. 

You would also still need the finances behind you for further squad development possibly in the January transfer window, for example that £3 million pound striker to help your push for the playoffs/automatic promotion.  Additionally you would need money for ground development, if we got into the Premiership.  If it was me, I would increase capacity to 30,000 initially, I''m sure many games in the Premiership would be sell outs or close to sell outs with this capacity, and for some games we could probably sell more tickets. 

You would recoup some of your investment with the increase in share value for the club being in the Premiership, having a bigger ground etc.  And further squad rebuilding whilst in the Premiership would be offset against the increase in revenue from being in the Premier league. 

Of course there would be no guarantees that adding £10million to the current squad would get you promoted.  If I was the owner and it didn''t I would certainly want to know why. 

With this squad investment and further squad investment during the summer before the start of the Premier campaign and the increase in ground size, with the extra revenue from sponsorships and TV money etc.  I would hope that this would be the start of a sustained run in the top flight, like we saw during the 80''s - early 90''s.

Of course there are no guarantees and there are risks, but I think it would be the first stepping stone in getting the club to move forward, and who knows if someone had the money to do this and build slowly but surely year on year, where the club would be in a further 5 or 10 years.  I think this was the opportunity Chase missed in the late 80''s - early 90''s if further money had pumped into the club then, who knows where we would be now?

So come on Mr. Branson invest £50 million in the club, put Virgin on the shirts and watch your investment grow.  If only.

dno out buying the whole club but it would be nice to be involved, although id like to see an invester with more than £20m com in for us if possible. still, beggars cant be choosers

[quote user="ManchesterCanary"]

Buy outs seem all the rage...

A poser for the forum...if you won £20 million on the lottery would you try and buy the club?? I must admit I sometimes ponder this...

[/quote]

If I had the passion for the club that Delia and Michael have, I might......but I''m afraid, given other elements that balance out my life, I don''t think I could match their commitment. I would more than likely feel that I would be sinking my money ( and my pound of flesh ) into a pool of piranhas, the appetite of which I will never be able to satisfy.

Simple

Keep 10 for myself...............................................................coz i need 10, its a nice round figure and would mean i can do what i want when i want and for as long as i want!!!!!

10 mill is injected into the club by me to buy players with.......................................and only players. I get to see who they''re buying prior to it happening and i get a place on the board for my money!!!!!

Oh to dream............................................................................................................................................................

Not personaly no. Would 20 mil be enough? Would Delia sell knowing there is nothing left to invest in the team?

Not based on her statement no.

Football is notorious for being a financial drain. So If I were to invest my 20 mil, I''d be asked to put my hand in my pocket again in year three but my pocket would be empty. Pose this at 40 mil and I might consider.

Hmmm that''s pure fanatasy thinking MC, But tell you what, you arrange it for me to win it and I''ll try and beat me missus to the bank for the cash, now that is fantasy thinking !

I have often thought about it but I wouldn''t really want to become demonised, hounded and accused of being a conman as seems to be inevitable as soon as things aren''t going our way. Having said that I would still be tempted if it could be done anonymously. And I''m not sure 20 million is enough, perhaps I''d buy the Linnets[;)].  

i wouldnt buy Norwich even though im a fan.. id buy a Conference south/north club... pay the money to take them up the divisions... then sell them off for loads more than i bought them for...  Could probably buy one for 500,000 if i sold them for 10 million years later id be laughing. if i won 20 million on the lottery i could bank roll the club till they reached the championship...

good financial sense

jas :)

[quote user="blacko"]No buy Ipswich and close it down[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Buy the debt for a greatly reduced sum (as someones trying to do now), buy the club and asset strip. Would give me great satisfaction.

[quote user="blacko"]No buy Ipswich and close it down[/quote]It''d be more funny to buy ipswich and slowly destroy the club, sell thier best players, sell portman road to housing developers, buy a load of monkeys to play for the first team (we could offload Peter Thorne) and watch as the club slide into the conference.

Thought about this also, as I''m often bored at work!

If I won £20 million. I''d hand over £5million as it''s not like £15million wouldn''t be enough to keep you ticking over is it? All I would want in return is two season tickets for life and getting the club to keep me informed off all transfer activity, so I can stop stressing about it twice a year!

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="blacko"]No buy Ipswich and close it down[/quote]

It''d be more funny to buy ipswich and slowly destroy the club, sell thier best players, sell portman road to housing developers, buy a load of monkeys to play for the first team (we could offload Peter Thorne) and watch as the club slide into the conference.
[/quote]

it would be sods law that Thorne would become a 30 a season hit man for them...

jas :)

Just a little thought, if say 20,000 of us went into a syndicate and paid in £1 per week with the proceeds going to new players/buy shares, now there''s a thought.

Mind you just thought 20,000 x £1 per week is £1m per season, give it to the club as a transfer budget.