Sign in to follow this  
Stevie Wonder

Are you watching Paul McVeigh?

I have just seen on Sky Sports News that Phil Mulryne has signed a contract at Leyton Orient until the end of the season. Lots hope McVeigh has seen this as if he doesn''t pull his finger out he will be playing at that level too. To be honest, I suspect he has blown his last chance here.

What a pity Mulryne has wasted all his undoubted talent. In our Championship season he made some great contributions and turned many games when coming off the bench (Stoke away, Reading away, Derby Home and Gillingham Home spring readily to mind).

There''s nothing wrong with playing for Orient! Good deal for Mulryne and the O''s.He was great for us I thought, not sure what ya mean by he''s wasted his talent - thought we should have kept him.

I know what you are mean. But Phil had been without a club since last summer, so I think it''s actually a good move for him. The Orient are a decent little club. I hope he earns a longer contract.McVeigh has undoubtedly lost his way with us. He is approaching thirty now, so it may be better for him to try and make his mark elsewhere, while he has a few years left.

We should call him ''HLHWM''.........

#"He''s Lost His Way McVeigh - but that is quite alright! He''s on his way McVeigh - because his attitude is sh*te!"#........etc, etc.

It''s a shame McVeigh has lost the plot, because in the past he has been our best player when he put his mind to it.

A colleague of mine is a neighbour of & good friends with WLY & he tells me he wants to play in Spain next season. He thinks the style of play over there will compliment his game.

He also says the team spirit in the dressing room is at an all time low at the moment.

[quote user="Bruces Header"]

A colleague of mine is a neighbour of & good friends with WLY & he tells me he wants to play in Spain next season. He thinks the style of play over there will compliment his game.

[/quote]

Maybe someone should point out to McVeigh that the style of play here would suit him if he actually bothered to put some effort in.  He looked like he could go on to be very good player a few seasons back when he actually tried.  He could get that back anytime he wanted to. 

I don''t buy this - he''s been rubbish for ages stuff - he was our BEST player last year and almost turned the season and saved Worthy bacon big style and came 3rd in the player of the season despite only playing 23 games.

For me thought his main problem I think is he feels he isn''t give enough respect by the club, it''s managers and maybe the fans. He thinks he the man in Worthy second season that all of a sudden gave us a threat in the final 3rd, took us to the playoffs, then scored 15plus goals, then helped the put the club on the top of the table - his reward for all this was being pushed from position to position to accomdate Hucks, cast adrift in the premier league only to be recalled when we were desparate last season he took the bull by the horns and got us playing again his reward was Earnshaw a man he could''nt possibly play with.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

I don''t buy this - he''s been rubbish for ages stuff - he was our BEST player last year and almost turned the season and saved Worthy bacon big style and came 3rd in the player of the season despite only playing 23 games.

For me thought his main problem I think is he feels he isn''t give enough respect by the club, it''s managers and maybe the fans. He thinks he the man in Worthy second season that all of a sudden gave us a threat in the final 3rd, took us to the playoffs, then scored 15plus goals, then helped the put the club on the top of the table - his reward for all this was being pushed from position to position to accomdate Hucks, cast adrift in the premier league only to be recalled when we were desparate last season he took the bull by the horns and got us playing again his reward was Earnshaw a man he could''nt possibly play with.

[/quote]

Whilst you have made 1 or 2 valid points these don''t excuse the disinterested performances this season or that he returned to pre-season over weight! He wasn''t that great in the promotion season and indeed was something of a bit part player in the final 10/15 games. He was dreadful in the premiership season and had a decent 10 game spell last year. Part of the reason he came 3rd in the player of the year was that a number of fans voted for him as a way of getting back at Worthy! As for being unable to play with Earnie, I would disagree as he is a player who has the vision to play the kind of through balls that Earnie thrives on - indeed McVeigh''s only real contribution this season was the ball through to set up Earnie''s goal against Sunderland.

At the end of the day he supposed to be a professional and he is being paid a lot more than the vast majority of us posting on here.

Yes he is a talent but he is quite clerly wasting it.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote] Ulf,respectfully you truely must be as mad as a box of frogs!!

While Leyton Orient may be a good move for Mulryne now, it does demonstrate his fall from grace. He was highly rated at Man Utd and I remember when all fans were really depressed at the thought of him leaving because he was our one quality player. Clearly his career has gone off the rails somehow. Good luck to him but it seems a waste of such talent and promise early on in his career!

It does seem that McVeigh is going the same way. Undoubted talent but just not performing. perhaps the challenge of a new club will do him good!

Not making excuses for McVeigh but peter grant made a very good point when he said that due to the chronic lack of reserve games fringe players like McVeigh find it very difficult to remain match fit so when they''re used they are off the pace.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]Not making excuses for McVeigh but peter grant made a very good point when he said that due to the chronic lack of reserve games fringe players like McVeigh find it very difficult to remain match fit so when they''re used they are off the pace.
[/quote] A good point but I still think WLY is carrying too much weight. Ok he may not be 100% match fit but you can still train very hard and not put on weight!