Sign in to follow this  
Over the side again

Well Done Nigel Worthington

Many of the messages on this board last season were simply vitriolic towards Nigel Worthington and his players.I suspect that many were based on unfounded rumours and a real lack of support and resolve when the whole season disappointed everyone.

It is time that NW was congratulated for the early season performances and results that justify some optimism for the rest of the campaign.However succesful City are this season I have a few concerns for the future; firstly

Earnshaw is an excellent goalscorer who is capable of playing reguarly in the Premiership. If he has scored 20-25 goals by January will City be able to keep him from relegation threatened underachievers in the prem.(I hope that he stays because I have a tenner on him being the leading scorer in the league)

Everyone  wants a tall striker! Fine but we can only play with 11 men. The 4-5-1 that can develop in to 4-3-3 is designed to assist Darren Huckerbys contribution. I have followed Norwich since 1968 and he is without doubt one of the best players/entertainers ever to pulled on the yellow shirt.Sadly he can not really tackle or head the ball, hence the three man midfield to support him.  Well done Norwich you have silenced the critics.

there is a general warm feeling around this board and many have recognised how things have changed from last year - the style, the performances, the passion, the mental strength. before i can answer your question though keith you have to answer another question.

do u think they were right to sack foley and blame last season on him - becasue if you do then you have to give hunter all the credit this term.

You get a warm and comfortable feeling when you wet the bed but it doesn''t necessarily last. Nigel needs the electric blanket of a larger squad.

Rossi Wrote!

there is a general warm feeling around this board and many have recognised how things have changed from last year - the style, the performances, the passion, the mental strength. before i can answer your question though keith you have to answer another question.

do u think they were right to sack Foley and blame last season on him - because if you do then you have to give hunter all the credit this term.

I think that Worthy was right to sack Foley, because he was not coaching the side to play as Worthy wanted them too. Ref: HUCKS EDP today "Martins organisation skills have been excellent and the whole of the backroom staff have made us difficult to beat, " his style is that we do things so everyone knows what they are doing. Every player in the team knows where we are at corners, knows where we are at free kicks, knows where we are in open play". " We know what we are doing and that is very important. "I think confidence is a massive thing, were all on the same page now, were very organised, we have got a formation and we have very good players playing in very good positions, "we are different this season. there''s no doubt about it. Teams struggle to break us down and we just have to keep it going. He continues in much the same vein and what is notable in my eyes is his seeming rapport with Worthy and not reluctantly saying that Worthy said that in this game he had to be a bit more direct. in his play.  " The manager knows what I can do, we have a good understanding and we both give each other stick when we need to.  That augers well for the future and sounds like Worthy is quite capable of having an adult and confrontational relationship with a player without chucking his toys out of the plan; as has been intimated by some posters on these boards.  As I see it Foley was right to be sacked after all I think we can see that coaching and fitness was not up to standard, Many posters on these boards noticed this me included.  Coaching is the most important factor in producing a capable smooth functioning team.  It seems Worthy was aware that all was not well and saw to it with the boards permission that a new coach, that he was happy with was employed.  Worthy is now in the position where he can manage the team, and apart from just keeping a watchful eye on the staff he can trust his coach to produce a team on match day that may not be unbeatable , but that can be relied upon to make a fight of every game.  The press report in Hucks'' name if it is verbatim makes for me good reading.  For me I would not give all the praise to Martin Hunter but 70% I would, and 30% to Worthy for doing something about it.   Rossi! For a coach to bring a team fumbling around in the dark, to being a formidable fighting force, as Martin has in such a short time, is phenomenal, and may I say it''s good luck to both of them in the struggle to keep things going well, together.  Just two more players to give us a bit more depth please.

[quote user="Ramrod"]You get a warm and comfortable feeling when you wet the bed but it doesn''t necessarily last. Nigel needs the electric blanket of a larger squad.[/quote]

I wouldn''t like to wet the bed with my ''poorly earthed'' electric blanket turned on.......shocking! Although I do suppose it would dry the mattress and sheets a lot quicker.......bit whiffy though....[:$]

Reference Nigel - and for him to be awarded a ''well done'' I shall remain ''opticalmystic'' till around the mid-November mark - when hopefully things should have become a ''ickle clearer. It is an absolute necessity that we strengthen - or I fear we will struggle with suspensions, injury problems and general lack of quality replacements. If any praise, accolade or tokens of esteem are to be forthcoming at this moment in time......it should be to all of the support that continue to attend games.......Time will tell........But, I think a stadium chorus of "Worthy''s green and yella army" is somewhat distant, ''knowwhatimean''........OTBC ;~)

It would seem strange to focus on blaming Foley for last season.  The guy had been with the club for ten years, so how does that explain his coaching during the play off season, the promotion season, or even before Nigel?  There has to be more to it than merely the lack of decent coaching last season, and to an extent in the Premiership. What was to blame.  Difficult to pin it down to one reason, though coaching was a problem, but so were the tactics in general, our awful away day record, poor substitutions, players not in their favoured positions, lack of transfer activity etc.

Obviously close season (if not before) the main issues were discussed and dealt with, we have had a good start, but we still have a dangerously thin squad and one or two injuries and we may again have to field more unbalanced teams. 

couldn''t agree more, he does get some stick and when things are going well it is done to everbody else but not our manager, give him some credit. 

Martin Hunter is the reason we have turned it around.. but as has been proven thus far this season we seem unable to defend, Shacks dwelling on the ball vs Barnsley and Drurys going "walkies" (again!) vs Luton indicate that pace going forward just isnt enough.

AS i have said elsehwere Huckerby was inaffective for the first 15-20 minutes because he had a pacey right back up against him, he contributed nothing to the game up until the red card.

Carl Robinson maybe scored a cracker but still looks far from good enough.

Etuhu turned it around.. but then the team is winning. if we hit a bad patch will he still be interested?

As for Nigel, look at our away record under him to see just how poor a tactician and motivator he really is. getting in a Sports psyhologist, as has been done previously is just admitting to the fact that he cannot motivate the team. They are too insular away and surely the mark of a good manager is to hget them motivated.?

Im not Supporting Worthington and wont be for a long long time, we have only played 5 games this season and peopple are already talking about the Premiership. Worthington has depleted the Squad and we still havent addressed the pressing issues. we are raving about Croft and he looks good, but we have ONE right winger. we have ONE left back. 3 center backs isnt enough, 3 central midfielders isnt enough, the squad lacks depth and this will cost us.

Worthington Out!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Martin Hunter is the reason we have turned it around.. but as has been proven thus far this season we seem unable to defend, Shacks dwelling on the ball vs Barnsley and Drurys going "walkies" (again!) vs Luton indicate that pace going forward just isnt enough.

AS i have said elsehwere Huckerby was inaffective for the first 15-20 minutes because he had a pacey right back up against him, he contributed nothing to the game up until the red card.

Carl Robinson maybe scored a cracker but still looks far from good enough.

Etuhu turned it around.. but then the team is winning. if we hit a bad patch will he still be interested?

As for Nigel, look at our away record under him to see just how poor a tactician and motivator he really is. getting in a Sports psyhologist, as has been done previously is just admitting to the fact that he cannot motivate the team. They are too insular away and surely the mark of a good manager is to hget them motivated.?

Im not Supporting Worthington and wont be for a long long time, we have only played 5 games this season and peopple are already talking about the Premiership. Worthington has depleted the Squad and we still havent addressed the pressing issues. we are raving about Croft and he looks good, but we have ONE right winger. we have ONE left back. 3 center backs isnt enough, 3 central midfielders isnt enough, the squad lacks depth and this will cost us.

Worthington Out!

[/quote]

You''re boring. I know, let''s spend endless amounts of money on speculative panic purchases so that we have 3 people in each position. You simplistic views are rather irritating. Of course we all have different opinions of how it should be done but can''t people like you ever look on the bright side or do you always have to find something to moan about?

[/quote]

You what Jas!!  get a grip mate...  Who played the perfect pass for Erny to run onto and win the penalty from?  It was a pretty big contribution methinks.

So far so good, and yes he does deserve some credit, although after 5 games I don''t wish to go overboard in praise or criticism.

Worthy made some shocking mistakes last season, but even so I always wondered how a good manager can go bad overnight so quickly.  Hopefully he is learning from those mistakes and that may be one reason for our promising start.

I don''t doubt Hunter''s input - from what I have heard both in the press and off the field, he has been a massive influence.  Something clearly was wrong with Foley last season and the club needed change.  However, those that say he should be manager need to think carefully.  As far as I know, he has never managed a club and who is to say he would make the step up.  John Deehan was an excellent coach but a terrible manager - you can never be sure.

Worthy is doing okay for now in my book but time will tell.

Martin Hunter is the reason we have turned it around..

Worthington Out!

[/quote]

Have to agree jas.  If Worthington wants the credit this season he has to take the blame for the last 2 seasons.  One swallow doesn''t make a summer.  If we do do well this season it will be down to Hunter and in any event he will still owe us a season. 

This is the best football I''ve seen Norwich play since being in Division 1. We keep the ball, stay patient, and work openings with simple 10 yard passes, no hoofs. The passing starts from the back, even Galla, through defence and midfield. I''ve never seen City play anywhere near like this under Worthy. Well Done Hunter.

Now if things had gone badly in these opening 5 games and people were calling for Worthington''s head the KTF brigade from last season would be the first ones to say "Give him 10 games! It''s too early to judge!"

You can''t have it both ways so let''s wait and see what happens shall we?

Fair play, it''s gone well so far but I think Hunter has a big part to play in that (see Hucks comments re training, er hello, why wasn''t that happening last season?) - and I don''t believe it''s ALL down to NW that he was appointed and that Foley was sacked.

[quote user="beelsie"]Rossi Wrote!

. Ref: HUCKS EDP today "Martins organisation skills have been excellent and the whole of the backroom staff have made us difficult to beat, " his style is that we do things so everyone knows what they are doing. Every player in the team knows where we are at corners, knows where we are at free kicks, knows where we are in open play". " We know what we are doing and that is very important. "I think confidence is a massive thing, were all on the same page now, were very organised, we have got a formation and we have very good players playing in very good positions, "we are different this season. there''s no doubt about it. Teams struggle to break us down and we just have to keep it going

[/quote]

I know that Darren reads some of the Message boards online, and if he sees this then i have to apologies in advance but... Your talking B****cks Hucks!

Every player knows where we are at corners? Well how come we havent scored from one this season, How come Shefki Kuqi and 2 goals on Saturday scored AGAINST us came from corners?

Free kicks? yep, Southend springs to mind. we knew where we werte then too eh Hucks?

we are not different to last season, we are not more difficult to break down, and if we were harder to beat then how come Coventry, Palace and Plymouth have done it, and done it easily? good job Southend ended when it did because 5 more minutes would of seen them win that too.

I know Hucks cant reply to such things and i know he has to be a bit careful what he says particularly with the contract Sit-ee-ay-shun he finds himself in, but he has made himself look a little bit silly with his comments i think.

Probably best to say Nothing next time Darren, and i apologise for saying that u talked Rubbish!

well it seems the honeymoon is over between numbnuts and hunter , my mate who sits behind the dugout , said that when we were under the cosh from crystal p hunter ran out with some information on paper , numbnuts waved him away and ordered him back to the dugout . well we all know old numbnuts nidge knows best don''t we.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

remember a day spent out norfolk is a day wasted.