Sign in to follow this  
Silver Canary

Worthington - our worst manager of all time?

I think in his single reign as manager he has been one of our best (saving us from relegation, play offs 2002 and of course Championship title 2004 and prem season)

however he then outstayed his welcome (this season)

bring in mike bassett!

Rioch, Hamilton and Megson all definitely worse. 

Although he might not be the best manager now but at least Worthy helped us win the Championship by a mile and get into the premiership!!

No, he is not our worst manager.  He has run out of steam and ideas and his luck has left him, meaning a time for change.  I think calling him the worst manager is harsh.  Rioch gave us less success, and what about Deehan, Megson?  In my opinion, the worst manager of recent times is Bryan Hamilton, by a country mile.

I can''t beleieve all the rubbish that people have replyed to this! If you beleved all this lot they would have you beleieve that Worthy is one of out best managers! Is this bored infested with KTFs?

I don''t remember all the Rioch oput or Hamiltonout protests outside the stadium! How can you say they were worse than Worthy - look at the football we play. It is people like you that keep Worthy in a job with your uninformed opinion. Leave this website to loyal fans!

The sensible answer, that has been echoed here, is "no". He did very well for us but now he''s worn out. Rioch & Hamilton didn''t even bring us the flair of the play-offs, Huckerby purchase or the promotion.

[quote user="Silver Canary"]I don''t remember all the Rioch oput or Hamiltonout protests outside the stadium! How can you say they were worse than Worthy - look at the football we play. It is people like you that keep Worthy in a job with your uninformed opinion. Leave this website to loyal fans![/quote]

Sorry but my unimformed opinion leads me to believe that Worthington''s Championship winning season makes him a better manager for us than Hamilton.  He is not doing a good job now but he has done, that means he is not our worst manager.

Are seriously suggesting that just because there were no Hamilton Out protests he was a better manager?  He was only in charge about 6 months!

"Worn out?" You mean that if he has a rest over the summer he will be a good manager!! I think not - get real! He always has been useless - he had one lucky season and even then it was more by luck than anything else - we only ended up with Huckerby because everybody he tried to buy prefered to go elsewhere!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Again, yet another stupid thread that detracts from any serious WO debate.

Hamilton or  Rioch maybe????

[/quote] I see the fact that''s its a stupid thread didn''t stop you from replying though!!! ;-)

Worthington is no-where near as bad as Walker (second time), Rioch or Hamilton. He has done a lot for this club but as people have said he has outstayed his welcome. He took Norwich to the prem but once we were relegated, his time in charge should have come to an end. Sometimes a manager simply can''t take a club any further and staying merely serves to undo the good work already done!

The trouble is that people like you blow with the wind and change your mind every week. A few weeks ago loads of people were saying that he was brilliant again just on the strength of a lucky draw against Leeds - but they would probably deny it now!

Your argument is childish - he was a good manager but he isn''t now - is this because he has forgotten or perhaps it is because he is senile - he is in his 40s! The truth is that he was always useless and just got lucky once. Try to make up your mind and stick to it!

I would recommend everyone watches the Championship winning video to remind themselves of what a good side we were, and that this season (and his first) have been practically the only ones where we haven''t passed the ball as we should. (Cue general foaming at mouth, rabid replies about how we haven''t passed the ball at all in five years, etc, blah.)

Definitely Worthy, he''s had millions more than any other manager in the history of NCFC, and we still need at least half a team to compete new season. Worthy and his support crew out!

I can''t believe the dross that appears on this message board. This thread is an absolute joke.

With the exception of the Fulham debacle and this season - Worthington has been one of our best ever managers after all he''s achieved. Things may have gone sour and it may be time for a change, but he is by no means our worst manager ever, not by a long shot.

The only thing in favour of Rioch and Hamilton is that they jumped before they were pushed... Hence the lack of protests. Here''s a question for you all though... Who was the last Norwich manager to be sacked?? I honestly don''t know the answer. I remember Walker left in dubious circumstances his second time round, but officially his departure was by "mutual consent".

Depends what your criteria for bad manager is.  Length of time in job, amount of money spent, relegation, fan relations, players relations etc etc.

In my memory, candidates for this have to be Worthington (considering the amount of money and suppport he''s had from the board) and closely followed by Megson (although he was hardly here long enough to judge, except for the style of football).  Hamilton was really just like Worthington, but on a shoestring budget.  Rioch would have been better if he''d had Nigel''s transfer kitty. 

Worthington will be the easy winner if he''s given another season to cock up.  Let''s hope it doesn''t come to that. 

Brain hamilton takes a lot of stick on these boreds but he only really made one mistake - appointing Worthy as coach! If he had not done this he would probably have been a successful manager.

In an hour long vidio you could probably make this year look good too! (Well 30 minutes anyway). If you just take the good exserts from the season you are alwyas going to find the odd pass that goes to a player and the ball past along the ground.

KTFs should find a bored of their own and leave this one to loyal fans!

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"][quote user="Saint Canary"]

Again, yet another stupid thread that detracts from any serious WO debate.

Hamilton or  Rioch maybe????

[/quote] I see the fact that''s its a stupid thread didn''t stop you from replying though!!! ;-)

Worthington is no-where near as bad as Walker (second time), Rioch or Hamilton. He has done a lot for this club but as people have said he has outstayed his welcome. He took Norwich to the prem but once we were relegated, his time in charge should have come to an end. Sometimes a manager simply can''t take a club any further and staying merely serves to undo the good work already done!

[/quote]

Spot on, Alex.

Silver Canary seems to have set himself up as the lone ranger of Worthy''s demise, and anyone who disagrees with him isn''t a loyal fan (though surely the term "loyal" would suggest that you would stick by your manager through thick and thin - not saying us WO''s aren''t "loyal", just pointing out the contradictions and hypocricy in SC''s words).

Worthington has masterminded a play-off final, a championship winning season, a win over Manchester United, the signings of Darren Huckerby, Dean Ashton, and Robert Earnshaw, as well as Adam Drury, Leon McKenzie, the now departed Damien Francis (say what you like about his departure, he was still a great player for us for two years) and Youssef Safri.

Unfortunately he''s also bought a whole load of dross, and has run out of ideas.  It happens in life, with all managers, simple as that.

He is, as has previously been said, worn out.

Get a grip, Silver Canary, and venture into the real world for five minutes with the rest of us... you never know, you might end up enjoying yourself!

"Worthington has been one of our best ever managers."

Surely this is the most stupid post of all time - I think you are either very stupid or an Ipswich fan (come to think of it that''s the same thing!) 

You obviously know nothing about football or you could''nt rite things like this - all loyal fans want to get rid of Worthy - we would hardly want to get rid of our best ever manager!! Do you think we are stupid!

Agreed Beds - he has been more successful than the majority of managers and one of only a handful to get us promoted. 

I have never been fond of his style of football and always challenged his tactics but his achievements are in the record books and he is part of the reason that the club is a million miles away of the situation it found itself in 10 or even just 6 years ago.

That does not change my opinion that he does need to be changed immediately.