Sign in to follow this  
The Dog

Fassnacht to depart

Posted (edited)

Given he was very much Wagner's man I think it is very likely that Fassnacht will depart this summer. Never seemed to have the right credentials to have a real impact in the championship. If/when goes he will join the pantheon of players that will be quickly forgotten IMO. 

Edited by The Dog

12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Given he was very much Wagner's man I think it is very likely that Fassnacht will depart this summer. Never seemed to have the right credentials to have a real impact in the championship. If/when goes he will join the pantheon of players that will be quickly forgotten IMO. 

So he’s not definitely departing? Reading that was 30 seconds I’ll never get back 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I think he could be a classic second-season man, straight out of the Vrancic/Stiepermann mould. There's an intelligent, hard-working player in there who's got a knack for a back-post finish. He's just not overly quick and traditionally in the Champs, pace is needed down the wings.

EDIT: Was going to mention Lukas Rupp as well, but Rupp did have pace, unlike Vrancic and Stiepermann.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 6

There's a player there. Think he will look a lot more comfortable in a team controlling the ball a bit more, his technique is excellent and he's an intelligent footballer.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think he could be a classic second-season man, straight out of the Vrancic/Stiepermann mould. There's an intelligent, hard-working player in there who's got a knack for a back-post finish. He's just not overly quick and traditionally in the Champs, pace is needed down the wings.

EDIT: Was going to mention Lukas Rupp as well, but Rupp did have pace, unlike Vrancic and Stiepermann.

Yeah I think this could be a good shout. There's a decent, clever player in there that I think didn't really suit the style that Wagner wanted to play. I think as an option he's a good player to have. 

I think we're more likely to move Onel on if it means feeing up a bit of wages 

If we're moving to possession based, highly technical players will be required. Fassnacht is a better fit than Hernandez.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Fassnacht reminds me of Stiepermann somewhat, just from a different starting position. Doesn't hit as many risky throughballs as Stiepi did, but he's got that similar combination of game intelligence and rangy/gangly awkwardness going on.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

Fassnacht needs another season so he has time to adjust. Clever player, just low on confidence and lack of minutes has hampered his progress. Reset on pre season and see what he can do under a new manager

27 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

image.jpeg.920fcd773fe51caef4c75c92c6c81351.jpeg - A Road will be taken thread.

Road? I think the OP has just cut cross one of the fields! 

I think there’s a really good player there somewhere, he’s certainly got the knack of being in the right place right time for a shot and that’s priceless.

A lot depends on who comes in and what they see but I’m not so sure Fassnacht is going to want away just because Wagner’s gone, he did an interview a while back and was clear he wanted to play in England and was enjoying the opportunity.

He strikes me as somebody that could possibly be benefit from being played more centrally or in a different system - perhaps wide in our previously classic 4-2-3-1 in a Cantwell / Buendia style inside forward / three quarter role.  As others have commented, he has some worthy attributes but isn't suited to whatever you would call Wagner's system which seemingly needed pace out wide*

*although my understanding of how he initially seemed to want to play it - with the wide forwards moving inside ahead of the strikers to allow the width from advanced full backs - wouldn't need this, it isn't how it seemed to pan out over the season.

They weren't exactly screamers but he managed to get 6 goals, joint 4th highest scorer for us in the season.