Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Well b back said:

I would have thought based on their results against the binners and Soton, they would want the binners, but then you are also gambling that you may get Leeds by accident.

After watching Southampton tonight we'll be falling over each other to face them

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

After watching Southampton tonight we'll be falling over each other to face them

You would think so, but when Soton were first on the slide, they comfortably ( it could have been a lot more ) beat West Brom at the Hawthorns 2:0

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I get the impression that Martin's whole philosophy (and the teams he builds based upon it) is very fragile.

I would never want him managing a City team.

• Like 1

Injuries to key players hasn't helped Saints but they looked so short of confidence last night. Whilst I think they are the worst out of the three possible opponents City are poor away so they'll need a lead to defend for the second leg.

The main thing is that for all practical purposes assuming we don't implode we won't be playing Leicester!

That's good!

As to the rest - Leeds, Ipswich, Southampton or even WBA I feel more confident.

Still think Leeds will be auto - Ipswich with both Hull and Coventry yet to play.

1 hour ago, DraytonBoy said:

Injuries to key players hasn't helped Saints but they looked so short of confidence last night. Whilst I think they are the worst out of the three possible opponents City are poor away so they'll need a lead to defend for the second leg.

What?? with our defence, Oh dear 😞

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I get the impression that Martin's whole philosophy (and the teams he builds based upon it) is very fragile.

I would never want him managing a City team.

I'm baffled as to how he's grown the reputation he has as a manager.

He's in his 5th season as a manager and has yet to take a team to the playoffs let alone led a team promotion.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He's in his 5th season as a manager and has yet to take a team to the playoffs let alone led a team promotion.

I would have had Martin here but with that squad they've conceded the same number of league goals as us, who don't have a recognised CDM and have had a consistent CB injury crisis.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, king canary said:

He’s managed MK Dons, Swansea and then Southampton. This is the first season there’s been any sensible expectation of promotion. With each club he has clearly instituted a progressive style of play (not that different to a certain recent ex-manager of ours) and had success. If Southampton don’t go up, then that will be the first miss on his record, but it’s not as if they’ll be the first team to be relegated from the PL who failed to go straight back up.

Edited by Nuff Said

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

He’s managed MK Dons, Swansea and then Southampton. This is the first season there’s been any sensible expectation of promotion. With each club he has clearly instituted a progressive style of play (not that different to a certain recent ex-manager of ours) and had success. If Southampton don’t go up, then that will be the first miss on his record, but it’s not as if they’ll be the first team to be relegated from the PL who failed to go straight back up.

To be clear I'm not saying he's a bad manager but his reputation vs his actual achievements feels like a huge gap in my view. I'd argue all he's done in his time is taken mid-table teams to mid-table while having lots of possession, yet he's talked about like some hot shot up and coming manager.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be clear I'm not saying he's a bad manager but his reputation vs his actual achievements feels like a huge gap in my view. I'd argue all he's done in his time is taken mid-table teams to mid-table while having lots of possession, yet he's talked about like some hot shot up and coming manager.

I agree. I've argued this point previously to a fair bit of resistance.