Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Happy St George's day

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Let the arguments begin...

Still annoying it’s not a bank holiday. Other countries manage to have different bank holidays for different parts of the country without too much hassle so there’s no reason St George/Andrew/Davids day couldn’t be as well.

You get arrested for saying that. These days. 

• Haha 1

It's a public holiday in Bulgaria but they have it in May. Don't know why the Bulgarians honour a bloke from Turkey with a public holiday but I suppose they're just being nice to the neighbours.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Still annoying it’s not a bank holiday. Other countries manage to have different bank holidays for different parts of the country without too much hassle so there’s no reason St George/Andrew/Davids day couldn’t be as well.

Is it rather interesting that it's not but I suppose we do have one in just over a week anyway

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is it rather interesting that it's not but I suppose we do have one in just over a week anyway

You can never have too many. Although I’d happily swap it for either the one at the beginning or end of May, to me it’s a date of more significance than either of those

47 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

St Andrews day and St Patrick’s day are  already bank holidays in Scotland and n Ireland.

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

St Andrews day and St Patrick’s day are  already bank holidays in Scotland and n Ireland.

I knew the Paddy’s did their day, I was under the impression that St Andrew’s was encouraged rather than being an official bank holiday in the same way as the established ones though? 

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Anyone got an ideas what we're supposed to do on this most sacred of days, what are the traditions to follow?

Feast and Ale will do me nicely 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I knew the Paddy’s did their day, I was under the impression that St Andrew’s was encouraged rather than being an official bank holiday in the same way as the established ones though? 

I love the way St Patrick's day has pretty much become an international Guinness marketing exercise.

Pure Genius.

If St George's day was a real ale marketing day I'd have no complaints.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Anyone got an ideas what we're supposed to do on this most sacred of days, what are the traditions to follow?

Slay dragons. That's why Truss, Patel, and Braverman have gone into hiding.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I love the way St Patrick's day has pretty much become an international Guinness marketing exercise.

Pure Genius.

A delicious irony in that what is now marketed as the main drink for Irelands day was created by Arthur Guinness, a staunch unionist and Protestant 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

A delicious irony in that what is now marketed as the main drink for Irelands day was created by Arthur Guinness, a staunch unionist and Protestant 

I understand other stouts are available.  Just not very widely.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

There’s quite a few decent stouts and porters out there now, the craft beer craze has been a bit of a God send on that front 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fen Canary said:

There’s quite a few decent stouts and porters out there now, the craft beer craze has been a bit of a God send on that front 

Yes, that’s very true.  Stouts aside, my main issue with trendy craft ales claiming to be IPAs is that they all taste of grapefruit.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

Yes, that’s very true.  Stouts aside, my main issue with trendy craft ales claiming to be IPAs is that they all taste of grapefruit.

I find the hazy IPAs too fruity, an IPA should be as hoppy as a kangaroo

10 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

That has knocked me sideways. Played a part in the founding of the Orange order as well it seems.

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

That has knocked me sideways. Played a part in the founding of the Orange order as well it seems.

A Unionist drink to celebrate a Welsh minister, how come you never get those smug middle class types disparaging St Patrick’s Day in the same way they do St George’s every year? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

In the south, especially around Cork they're more likely to drink Murphy's

When in Dublin I prefer the stout from the Porterhouse Brewery Co.

Edited by A Load of Squit

17 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Me too.  Not my area of history so never really looked into it before but prompted by this I had a flick through Wikipedia and it seems that almost all of the prominent Irish nationalists of the 18/19th centuries were also protestant, albeit not anglican. 

Not sure we need another bank holiday in April.  I wouldnt say no if offered but I'd rather have a day or two after August, probably in honour of the UK rather than England.   If you can think of an excuse, I'll put it to ministers next time i see one.

No mention of St Georges day in the press, you'd think the one's who got rabidly upset about the flag on the back of the shirts would be producing special editions to celebrate.

And a discussion about the English patron saint has been over shadowed by a discussion about the Irish one. 

Happy St. Whatsisname's Day indeed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The more I think about it, the more I think St George's day should be a day with beer festivals across the country and no duty or VAT on all real ales in pubs. And fluffy top hats in a George cross style.

Also steak and kidney pies, melton mowberry pies, and Cornish pasties.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The more I think about it, the more I think St George's day should be a day with beer festivals across the country and no duty or VAT on all real ales in pubs.

Also steak and kidney pies, melton mowberry pies, and Cornish pasties.

A big communal day of feasting and drinking would be great. Society is becoming more atomised so any shared experiences should be encouraged with gusto 

• Like 1

Agree that all patron saints should be treated equally. Not sure why we celebrate any of the feckers, to be honest.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Agree that all patron saints should be treated equally. Not sure why we celebrate any of the feckers, to be honest.

Why not? Why can’t people just have a day enjoying themselves for the sake of it?
It’s a pretty soulless existence if everything has to have a cold logical reason for happening rather then just having fun 

Just now, Fen Canary said:

Why not? Why can’t people just have a day enjoying themselves for the sake of it?
It’s a pretty soulless existence if everything has to have a cold logical reason for happening rather then just having fun 

Then why not just scatter bank holidays relatively evenly throughout the year?

33 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

No mention of St Georges day in the press, you'd think the one's who got rabidly upset about the flag on the back of the shirts would be producing special editions to celebrate.

And a discussion about the English patron saint has been over shadowed by a discussion about the Irish one. 

Happy St. Whatsisname's Day indeed.

Maybe we should change the colours on it? That should trigger a few of them into action. 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Then why not just scatter bank holidays relatively evenly throughout the year?

Because it’s boring, something decided by a committee isn’t fun. You’ve already got a day there that’s based around the idea of nationhood, why not use it to try and bring people together? 

18 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Because it’s boring, something decided by a committee isn’t fun. You’ve already got a day there that’s based around the idea of nationhood, why not use it to try and bring people together? 

How is it not fun? You've got a day scheduled for rest and recreation - how on earth can it not be fun?