Midlands Yellow

The Best Football Commentator Ever

Posted (edited)

I like Goreham, he is always quite moderate and avoids sensationalism as I see it.

Motty was exceptional and a character, but grew increasingly sensationalist:

"And they've kicked off!"

Those South American commentators have always been a scream "go .............................................................................................................................. al."   

Edited by BroadstairsR

Commentator's very rarely commentate anymore, they now all want to be pundits. I would rather not listen to their opinion, but have a factual report on the game instead. Particularly on TV as then I can decide for myself. 

• Like 1

Yeah, Goreham is absolutely excellent. You really notice the difference when your dodgy stream gives you the other team's commentators.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Conrad said:

Commentator's very rarely commentate anymore, they now all want to be pundits. I would rather not listen to their opinion, but have a factual report on the game instead. Particularly on TV as then I can decide for myself. 

This absolutely. What I find particularly annoying is the ones on national radio, who seem to think that their job is to chat amongst each other about general football related issues rather than commentating on the actual match, often missing the build up to goals. 5 Live has a particularly annoying habit of repeating about every 10 minutes the games they have ‘coming up’ instead of focussing on the one which is actually taking place.

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

This absolutely. What I find particularly annoying is the ones on national radio, who seem to think that their job is to chat amongst each other about general football related issues rather than commentating on the actual match, often missing the build up to goals. 5 Live has a particularly annoying habit of repeating about every 10 minutes the games they have ‘coming up’ instead of focussing on the one which is actually taking place.

I hardly ever listen to radio commentary personally, but I quite enjoy that style of commentary on the TV. We've got eyes to see what's happening for ourselves, so a little background chat makes it more interesting.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I hardly ever listen to radio commentary personally, but I quite enjoy that style of commentary on the TV. We've got eyes to see what's happening for ourselves, so a little background chat makes it more interesting.

Each to their own, I guess, as that is the part that I often dislike. However, I feel that you may be missing my point. I don't object to the pundit offering an insight based on their experience (I often welcome it as it helps my understanding). What I don't like is the commentator offering their opinion, based on what they have just seen and without the benefit of the pundits experience. I can see for myself, thank you.

What a commentator says can have an impact on a person's perception and I would therefore rather that they stuck to commenting on the action on the pitch.

Goreham and Radio Norfolk are OK except I don't want to hear about Kings Lynn in the middle of a Norwich game.

Having a pundit on co-comms can actually dilute the primary commentary particularly if they are bias or have the same old agenda everytime. 

Barry Davies and Motty were past masters as they were focused on what they were watching. It's a bit too much double act now.

• Like 1

Can’t stand that bloke on THT who spends the first ten minutes spouting every stat possible. Also, bit controversial, female commentators screaming down the microphone.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

Each to their own, I guess, as that is the part that I often dislike. However, I feel that you may be missing my point. I don't object to the pundit offering an insight based on their experience (I often welcome it as it helps my understanding). What I don't like is the commentator offering their opinion, based on what they have just seen and without the benefit of the pundits experience. I can see for myself, thank you.

What a commentator says can have an impact on a person's perception and I would therefore rather that they stuck to commenting on the action on the pitch.

Yeah, I agree that the co-commentator, analyst, or whatever you want to call him should be the one to give tactical insights. But the 'main' commentator should also provide background information, facts and stats, which often lead to a little bit of chit-chat, and I quite like that, personally.