Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Steve Weaver leaves the club

12 minutes ago, Satriales said:

What does his role actually do? 

Taking a wild guess, something to do with developing football?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Satriales said:

His role is pretty all encompassing, overseeing all aspects of the academy and youth development. From getting young players into the building right through to transitioning them into the first team or selling/loaning them out (alongside the SD/loans manager) and everything in between.

Big role to replace and one that is important for Knapper to get right. Wonder if this change is to do with Knapper wanting to change things or it's just his time to move on. Probably the latter based on comments from ZW in the article.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

His role is pretty all encompassing, overseeing all aspects of the academy and youth development. From getting young players into the building right through to transitioning them into the first team or selling/loaning them out (alongside the SD/loans manager) and everything in between.

Big role to replace and one that is important for Knapper to get right. Wonder if this change is to do with Knapper wanting to change things or it's just his time to move on. Probably the latter based on comments from ZW in the article.

He's basically Webber's man (worked with him at Wolves, Huddersfield, Norwich) so will presumably follow him to his next club wherever that might be. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Whilst @KeiranShikari's description above is excellent, I think the simplest way to describe it is that he basically runs the academy.

I believe he has played a massive role in bringing through academy products into the first team in the last few years, which seem to have increased in terms of both quality and quantity.

On Football Manager, he is rated as one best Heads of Youth Development on the game, so he is clearly highly rated both inside and outside the club.

He leaves pretty big shoes to fill in a very important role.

Not sure where he's going, but maybe he has attracted interest from bigger clubs or wants a more senior role elsewhere?

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst @KeiranShikari's description above is excellent, I think the simplest way to describe it is that he basically runs the academy.

I believe he has played a massive role in bringing through academy products into the first team in the last few years, which seem to have increased in terms of both quality and quantity.

On Football Manager, he is rated as one best Heads of Youth Development on the game, so he is clearly highly rated both inside and outside the club.

Not sure where he's going, but maybe he has attracted interest from bigger clubs or wants a more senior role elsewhere?

I guess I won’t be able to tempt him to join my local club in the FM2020 save I’m doing at the moment-currently one league below the National Conference North/South after 4 promotions 🤣

17 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I guess I won’t be able to tempt him to join my local club in the FM2020 save I’m doing at the moment-currently one league below the National Conference North/South after 4 promotions 🤣

He'd be pretty useful on my save right now as well. I started as La Serena in the Chilean second tier, with the motivation being that it should be pretty enjoyable and not too difficult to develop younger players and bring them into the first team. 

44 minutes ago, Bovril said:

He's basically Webber's man (worked with him at Wolves, Huddersfield, Norwich) so will presumably follow him to his next club wherever that might be. 

So appointing him was another yet another thing Webber got right. Dear me, these plus points seem to keeping adding up…

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

• Like 1

He also jointly managed the first team for a while between Smith & Wagner (alongside Mr Polo Neck). Perhaps he has been offered a Head Coach / Managers role elsewhere?

50 minutes ago, Bovril said:

I think Webber might have made himself unemployable with his comments about divorcees, women's football and stereotypical views about young black players, who would touch him now in English football? He'll have to go and be a mercenary and work overseas in Malaysia or something.

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how much staff turnover we see this summer at Colney. When Webber came in he brought quite a lot of people in in a short space of time, Weaver included. I think this time around there are better foundations but it also wouldn't hurt to get some fresh perspective in either.