Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

Gino, stay or go ?

Certainly able to hold his place. If there is any thought of him staying that has to be taken after we know what league we are in next season

Yep, the Championship looks the most likely, but I suspect there is a plan A and a plan B.

His wages, as with Gibson, well be what we offer, not what either demands. I expect Gino might  want to head back to Greece. At 28 he will still have a few years ahead, whereas Gibson at 31 will be looking for his final contract. The question is would either get a better contract elsewhere outside the PL.

Of those entering their final year, I doubt many will be too bothered to lose Long, Barnes, Fassnacht or Onel. Gunn though. I'm sure he will want to test himself at the highest level so likely to bethe last seaon between the stucks for us.

Haven't given up on the Premier League yet, but according to the Pinkun front page there have been no contract talks.

I suspect he will be off.

No contract talks, as stated above. Until we know what league we are in it is a bit pointless.

Though I agree he will most likely be off, either way.

I mentioned on another thread the other day that it's difficult to envisage a situation in which he stays.

If we don't go up, it's unlikely we'd be prepared to offer the salary which he'd likely command.

If we do go up, I don't think he's quite good enough, and I'd rather take a punt on someone else.

Either way, McCallum is in exactly the same boat, he's no worse than Giannoulis, and would likely be prepared to accept a lower wage. 

So for me, Giannoulis leaves and McCallum is a maybe.

• Like 2

"unlikely we'd be prepared to offer the salary which he'd likely command."

eh ?

What other club outside the PL will offer him more ?  He will need to head abroad.

He is out of contract so has to take what is offered, he 'commands' nothing.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

What other club outside the PL will offer him more ?  He will need to head abroad.

The wages which he'd ask for and likely be offered by another club, ****. 

EDIT: Wow, I didn't think the swear filter would censor 'n u m b n u t s'

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

6 minutes ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

He commands a signing on fee so will likely move. 

It would be nice to have all the contracts sorted before the 27th (slim I know). Last home game and opportunity to say bye bye or see you next season?

Go. Like a number of positions, we need to be looking for better players. Whether we can get them is a different matter. 

Bit of a hothead and liability defending, ok going forward, everything depends on end of season position

56 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It didn't take long before you resorted to abuse

in fact in your only sentence

so rather than get drawn down to your level, on what was merely a question re one or two of our players not any contentious subject, I shall depart from this thread

The fact he's stated that there haven't been talks whilst the club have clearly made a move talking to McCallum would suggest that he is off to me.

He will attract suitors and the lack of parachute payments means he will move on as we can't afford to pay him the same.  If we do scrape the prem I could see him staying. In all honesty we will need better in all 4 defensive positions, esp the cb area. Ditto stacey who like edworthy will be honest if out of his depth for 9 months.

5 minutes ago, RobJames said:

It didn't take long before you resorted to abuse

in fact in your only sentence

so rather than get drawn down to your level, on what was merely a question re one or two of our players not any contentious subject, I shall depart from this thread

Well, let's be honest, you were well known for your unnecessarily condescending, confrontational, mocking tone under your one of your previous guises which created argument after argument before you were finally banned, and you intentionally used it here in your response to me.

And leaving this thread is probably a good idea. After all, you were also well known under your old account for a staggering lack of understanding of transfers and contracts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ZLF said:

He will attract suitors and the lack of parachute payments means he will move on as we can't afford to pay him the same.  If we do scrape the prem I could see him staying. In all honesty we will need better in all 4 defensive positions, esp the cb area. Ditto stacey who like edworthy will be honest if out of his depth for 9 months.

If I had to keep one of Stacey, McCallum and Gianoullis, no contest. Stacey every time. I’d probably go with Gianoullis over McCallum too if cost wasn’t a factor, neither of them are the world’s best defenders but of the two, I think he shades it.

Posted (edited)

I think if we manage to sneak promotion he isn't good enough for the Premiership and I suspect the wages he would command in the championship would be too high to sustain for another season. I wonder with coaching Sam M would push on and improve and Gianni would be sold & we'll be looking for a replacement for him. Sounds the most viable option currently, but of course remains to be seen.

Edited by jaberry2

41 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If I had to keep one of Stacey, McCallum and Gianoullis, no contest. Stacey every time. I’d probably go with Gianoullis over McCallum too if cost wasn’t a factor, neither of them are the world’s best defenders but of the two, I think he shades it.

I'd agree with that stacey assessment too, solid in the champs which is where we are likely to be back in 2 years time.

Dimi is a little more consistent atm

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Well, let's be honest, you were well known for your unnecessarily condescending, confrontational, mocking tone under your one of your previous guises which created argument after argument before you were finally banned, and you intentionally used it here in your response to me.

And leaving this thread is probably a good idea. After all, you were also well known under your old account for a staggering lack of understanding of transfers and contracts. 

OK so 

1) Wacky getting down and dirty on the PinkUn has me at half-mast, truth be told

2) Agree with everything other than whilst not a huge fan of either, I think Gini is comfortably a better player than Sam overall.

7 hours ago, RobJames said:

eh ?

You are apparently oblivious to our parachute payments ending at the end of this season?

The point he was making is that if he wants to stay here he'll need to take a pay cut, to the extent that clubs in his native Greece and elsewhere will no longer be priced out.