Sign in to follow this  
city4eva

McCallum contract update

3 hours ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

After yesterday's performance I'd be happy if he went!

If you based it on yesterday’s performance we’d only be keeping Gunn

• Like 2

What concerns me is I'm not sure how fixable his issues are.

He has a lot of the physical tools but he seems to struggle in reading the game- he's often out of position and slow to react to danger. He's 23 and well over 100 games into his career I'm not sure I see these things changing any time soon.

Personally I'd keep Dimi over him but I think both are flawed.

• Like 1

On the presumption that Dimi is on much higher wages than McCallum then I would keep the later as back-up and let Dimi go. Dimi is the slightly better all round player but not to justify the likely higher wages. 

So, let Dimi go, give McCallum an extra 2 years (he's decent enough back-up for a top-6 champ side) and sign a 1st choice LB in the summer. Preferably one that can defend/has an all round game for this level, i.e. a Jack Stacey for the left. Fullbacks don't have to be flash at this level, a steady Eddy (Marc Edworthy) or Adam Drury fits the bill. 

Posted (edited)

Not sure Drury would do too well in Wagner's system. Think I only saw him cross the halfway line about 5 times.

Edited by KeiranShikari

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I've reported on here a few times that I see him as a future LCB. He is good in the air, quite physical and like Kenny I think he prefers seeing the play in front of him. As many have complained he is not the quickest of full backs, so I would expect a coach can manage the transition.

I watched him in a match when he was on loan at QPR where Beale played him in this position and he played really well, the extra responsibility placed on him (rather like again with Kenny) seemed to bring out a more positive positional sensibility.

However, there has been zero sign of this being considered at Norwich, so what do I know?

I predict that in a couple of years time we'll play whoever he has moved on to and he will play an absolute blinder, having whoever we have up front in his pocket. #ACN

33 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Not sure Drury would do too well in Wagner's system. Think I only saw him cross the halfway line about 5 times.

He's also getting on a bit now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

If you based it on yesterday’s performance we’d only be keeping Gunn

It was a bit worrying seeing Enzo Maresca make a beeline to Angus Gunn for a chat at the full time whistle, goalkeeper has been a weak point for Leicester since they lost the great Dane and it will probably be the first position he wants to strengthen if they secure promotion.

37 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

It was a bit worrying seeing Enzo Maresca make a beeline to Angus Gunn for a chat at the full time whistle, goalkeeper has been a weak point for Leicester since they lost the great Dane and it will probably be the first position he wants to strengthen if they secure promotion.

Yes, I noticed that. Let’s hope Angus wants to stay long term like his Father and secure legendary status. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

He has a lot of the physical tools but he seems to struggle in reading the game- he's often out of position and slow to react to danger. He's 23 and well over 100 games into his career I'm not sure I see these things changing any time soon.

Personally I'd keep Dimi over him but I think both are flawed.

Maybe get someone to cover for him when he is being asked to play as a virtual winger, maybe help him when there is a total over load on his side. Watch the first goal yesterday,  he has 3 players when the cross goes in , but still they have players unmarked in the box. 

• Like 1