Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

If Nike Did Hot Cross Buns.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This whole controversy over tweaking the colour of the flag really is baffling considering that nobody seemed to bat an eyelid when Adidas did this at the 2012 Olympics (and it wasn't just the football team, it was every sport):

SEI_87578173.thumb.jpg.6ac581788553f2887dd94b0fb0189c94.jpg

Yep..... 

Today's people

WhY iS tHe FlAg AlL rEd, WhErE's ThE wHiTe!!!!!!

eng_pl_1997-99-ENGLAND-LONGSLEEVE-SHIRT-M-207874_1.jpg

That's just not true though, plenty of people complained about the 2012 Olympic kits. Not enough red and all that.

It certainly feels different to me though. The 2012 kits felt 'artsy' whilst the change to the St. George's Cross on the current shirt seems like straight up culture war bait. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

That's just not true though, plenty of people complained about the 2012 Olympic kits. Not enough red and all that.

It certainly feels different to me though. The 2012 kits felt 'artsy' whilst the change to the St. George's Cross on the current shirt seems like straight up culture war bait. 

I think that's more media mischief to be honest.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I think that's more media mischief to be honest.

Exacerbating it, sure.

I still think the designers at Nike knew what they were doing though. Probably just playful though.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

Exacerbating it, sure.

I still think the designers at Nike knew what they were doing though. Probably just playful though.

There was a similar kit with several crosses on the collar too, and that didn't raise much if anything. Would agree that it was a playful switcheroo.

The hullaballoo reminds me of the George Carlin quote about symbols being for the symbol-minded.

People complained about that one too. 

Think I read that Nike had considered doing a rainbow St. Georges before settling on what they did. I think that signals enough intent.

I think people are getting fatigued with all the preaching. Let alone from a corporation that don't exactly put human rights at the top of their priority on their production lines. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

People complained about that one too. 

Think I read that Nike had considered doing a rainbow St. Georges before settling on what they did. I think that signals enough intent.

I think people are getting fatigued with all the preaching. Let alone from a corporation that don't exactly put human rights at the top of their priority on their production lines. 

How much of a complaint was there about it? I don't remotely remember being such the same manufactured media outrage about it and my suspicion is that it's media mischief as part of provoking another braindead culture war on the eve of an election campaign.

Agree that Nike aren't the epitome of good governance in terms of employee rights, but very few are using that as a counter.

Edited by TheGunnShow

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I don't remotely remember being such the same manufactured media outrage about it and my suspicion is that it's media mischief as part of provoking another braindead culture war on the eve of an election campaign.

The Mail got their union flag knickers in a twist about it in 2012 if I remember correctly. In my view, the main difference is that at that point politicians hadn't really lowered themselves to getting involved in this culture war nonsense.

Surely Iceland have already done it...

bcf81de54fb12fedff0c6ea0310ae1a49aebeb31.png

The team colours for England v Belgium were both horrible, especially Belgiums. They looked like a mint chocolate ice cream. 🍦 😆 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The Mail got their union flag knickers in a twist about it in 2012 if I remember correctly. In my view, the main difference is that at that point politicians hadn't really lowered themselves to getting involved in this culture war nonsense.

Yeah, but let's face it, they get their grundies in a twist over anything. I'm surprised Mail-related knicker-twisting on banal social matters hasn't been touted as a potential renewable energy source yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yeah, but let's face it, they get their grundies in a twist over anything. I'm surprised Mail-related knicker-twisting on banal social matters hasn't been touted as a potential renewable energy source yet.

I think it was considered, but it turned out to generate far too much toxic pollution

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This whole controversy over tweaking the colour of the flag really is baffling considering that nobody seemed to bat an eyelid when Adidas did this at the 2012 Olympics (and it wasn't just the football team, it was every sport):

SEI_87578173.thumb.jpg.6ac581788553f2887dd94b0fb0189c94.jpg

Hilarity of this is that it's the Union Jack, which in of itself, a messing of, and with, national flags.

The cross of St George isn't remotely unique. It's widely used all over the place, both now and historically. It certainly doesn't originate in England. St George never set foot here. He was Greek.

You can hardly see it anyway. It's hidden by the collar isn't it? Unless you have that up... as made popular by that famous Englishman, Eric Cantona.

Posted (edited)

This was supposed to be in the “proud of this forum” thread so I’ve removed it from here.

Edited by Mr Angry

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Hilarity of this is that it's the Union Jack, which in of itself, a messing of, and with, national flags.

The cross of St George isn't remotely unique. It's widely used all over the place, both now and historically. It certainly doesn't originate in England. St George never set foot here. He was Greek.

You can hardly see it anyway. It's hidden by the collar isn't it? Unless you have that up... as made popular by that famous Englishman, Eric Cantona.

Cappadocia, modern day Turkey.

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

Cappadocia, modern day Turkey.

Yup... modern day. He was Greek though. And fought for the Roman army.

Turkey didn't exist back then and other Empires were larger. There are still Greek communities in places like Zonguldak, Ancona... in Turkey and Italy. Turkey was founded in 1923 after being part of the Ottaman Empire.

It's amazing how much you notice the flag being used with incorrect colours.  I was walking behind a copper this morning and noticed he had a black union jack on his uniform.

19 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It's amazing how much you notice the flag being used with incorrect colours.  I was walking behind a copper this morning and noticed he had a black union jack on his uniform.

It is all the time.

Two different flags though. One for England, one for Great Britain.