Sign in to follow this  
Old Shuck

Oh For An Anonymous Sporting Director...

....CEO, or whatever their title is.

I know. This is prehistorically retro in tone. But. We had David McNally. Great for the soundbite, in your face, posed photo with boxing gloves and many a headline. Left the job after one public utterance too many.

Then there was Jez Moxey. Whose role was to be Jez Moxey. Not with us long. But never far from thought and thread or Pink Un.

Webber. It's all been said. And he is done. But a man and image that was never far from the headlines, speculation, gossip, confrontation and condemnation. In amidst the bits that were football related. McNally II in some ways.

Now Ben Knapper. Seems more of a background figure. If not camera shy then happier behind his desk than in front of the afore mentioned. Getting on with what needs to be getting on with little drama and no endless podcasts and You Tubes. 

"When's he going to SAY something?" people have said. "When's he going to comment about this, that, the other and recruitment?"

But I quite like the fact he seems content to be not so often seen or heard. And just get on with the job.

Time will tell. But one of his greatest assets might well be his relative (to his predecessors) anonymity.

• Like 2

A good point. Organisations usually need a public face and spokesperson (including off the pitch).

Over time, Messrs Attanasio may capture the limelight ahead of Mr Knapper, if and when they embed as owners. Having seen them in interviews, I’d be fine with that. They are very professional (read: good research, no clangers so far, no obvious ego scrapping for praise) and interesting enough without being ‘exciting’ in either + or - sense. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

A good point. Organisations usually need a public face and spokesperson (including off the pitch).

Over time, Messrs Attanasio may capture the limelight ahead of Mr Knapper, if and when they embed as owners. Having seen them in interviews, I’d be fine with that. They are very professional (read: good research, no clangers so far, no obvious ego scrapping for praise) and interesting enough without being ‘exciting’ in either + or - sense. 

And most of the time in the US…. Not ideal.

2 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

....CEO, or whatever their title is.

I know. This is prehistorically retro in tone. But. We had David McNally. Great for the soundbite, in your face, posed photo with boxing gloves and many a headline. Left the job after one public utterance too many.

Then there was Jez Moxey. Whose role was to be Jez Moxey. Not with us long. But never far from thought and thread or Pink Un.

Webber. It's all been said. And he is done. But a man and image that was never far from the headlines, speculation, gossip, confrontation and condemnation. In amidst the bits that were football related. McNally II in some ways.

Now Ben Knapper. Seems more of a background figure. If not camera shy then happier behind his desk than in front of the afore mentioned. Getting on with what needs to be getting on with little drama and no endless podcasts and You Tubes. 

"When's he going to SAY something?" people have said. "When's he going to comment about this, that, the other and recruitment?"

But I quite like the fact he seems content to be not so often seen or heard. And just get on with the job.

Time will tell. But one of his greatest assets might well be his relative (to his predecessors) anonymity.

I agree, but that won’t stop certain posters on here who want a comment on everything, so they can get worked up on their keyboards disagreeing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Delia and Michael are at every home game but we rarely get official interviews from them, not sure much would change there in terms of frequency.

Everyone was all "Why is Knapper not speaking?" a while back. Given our history with the role think it's best if he shuts his mouth, keeps quiet and just gets on with the job!

• Like 1

Ignoring obviously the latest instalment of Webber, our fans have generally wanted the opposite of what's happening.

When Webber was saying nothing there was demands on here for him to come out and speak. When he said stuff people didn't like they wish he'd shutup.

Ideally we need someone who comes out and says exactly what fans want to hear  and only at the times fans want to hear it.

As for Knapper, no problem with a low profile as long as he turns out good at his job. If we significantly underperform next season and he's quiet, the demands for him to talk to us will clog this forum

• Like 2

I agree re Knapper and Webber. I do think Knapper could have said something publically earlier during our bad spell but in the end he was saved/perhaps fortunate that our upturn saved the day.

At board/executive level I do think there is a vacuum in terms of someone being the public face of the club which has probably not been filled since Kensell left. I still think we could do with a chairman or someone of the Munby ilk. It doesn’t seem to be Zoe’s natural style. 

Posted (edited)

I thought Knapper gave a decent interview in January, but there’s so little to say until we get to the summer and he can start taking whatever actions he deems necessary.

The fact it passed without much controversy didn’t mean there weren’t interesting insights, much like Attanasio’s comments.

I always hated the idea Webber was some straight talker, he didn’t tell it like it is, he told it like he wanted.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anonymous SD plus a forward facing chair or board member comfortable dealing with fans and the media would seem to be the ideal combination. 

We seem to have the first and be missing the second.

• Like 2

I don’t think any SD should be fully anonymous, certainly not here where they appear to have significant control over all things football.

I think we should be hearing from the SD 2/3 times over the year, mainly after each transfer window and perhaps an end of season recap too (which could also preview the summer ahead). The only other time should be if there’s clear shifts in strategy, ie sacking the manager.

I think the drive for anonymity probably stems from Webber being far too gung-ho whenever he spoke. Maybe the club will see the solution as only doing interviews in house, but I do think Webber is the exception not the norm.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, repman said:

I don’t think any SD should be fully anonymous, certainly not here where they appear to have significant control over all things football.

I think we should be hearing from the SD 2/3 times over the year, mainly after each transfer window and perhaps an end of season recap too (which could also preview the summer ahead). The only other time should be if there’s clear shifts in strategy, ie sacking the manager.

I think the drive for anonymity probably stems from Webber being far too gung-ho whenever he spoke. Maybe the club will see the solution as only doing interviews in house, but I do think Webber is the exception not the norm.

Worth noting fans were also unhappy with McNally speaking, when things were going poorly. There's a theme.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, repman said:

What about the Christmas day address by the log fire? 

Edited by Helsinki canary
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

What about the Christmas day address by the log fire? 

OMG  no! There's bound to be a Health and Safety Issue with that one. 🤔🙃

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, true. Hey, at least they won’t succumb to publicity over-exposure.