We’ve got a poor bunch of central defenders. A forum arguing over which one of those duffers is the best. We need rid of all of them this summer IMO. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rotherham were one of the worst team to have played here in ages. No pressing, no energy, completely lacking in spirit. I would have been a 6/10 if I'd played in a back three and I have a bus pass. I think, we would have said Hanley played well if he'd been picked. Get Duffy back..has a big mouth which we miss.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I'm sure that McCallum will get a new contract if we fail to go up because he's cheaper than keeping Giannoulis, who will clearly be for the chopping block to cut the wage bill unless we sneak up through the play offs.

But people are getting way too excited about Sorenson looking good against the team in 24th who have 19 fewer points than the team in 23rd, who have just lost their 9th game in a row and haven't won a game since 26th December.

Yes Sorenson looks good against opposition who are firmly League One quality. Looks like a complete passenger in many games against Championship quality opposition, and that's when he's fit which is not very often. For me he's one we say goodbye too, these flashes of quality are all too fleeting, been here 4 years and not done much at all. He's the defensive midfield version of Placheta, an eternal prospect based on some fleeting moments of quality and a few attributes which tell us that he should on paper be good, but for whatever reason just isn't.

New contract if he's cheap as a squad filler, on the basis of him being able to cover a few positions in a squad that will inevitably be thin due to budget constraints if we don't go up perhaps, but we'll be in serious trouble if he's one of our best XI players next season. He'd be a good first team player for Rotherham though, I'll give you that.

I disagree on the highlighted points. I don't think he's at all similar to Placheta. Placheta is a one-trick pony, with speed and little else. IMO Sorensen is the opposite - a jack-of-all-trades and master of none.

I also don't think that he'd fit in well at Rotherham. Again just my opinion, but I think he'd do well in a country like Spain or Portugal where there is far less emphasis on height and muscle and the game is generally played at a slower pace.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Rotherham were one of the worst team to have played here in ages. No pressing, no energy, completely lacking in spirit. I would have been a 6/10 if I'd played in a back three and I have a bus pass. I think, we would have said Hanley played well if he'd been picked. Get Duffy back..has a big mouth which we miss.

We may miss his mouth, but we don't miss his feet. 

'I've screwed up playing it out from the back again. Who can I shout at to blame?'

He's a very good solid defender if all that is required is getting a head onto crosses into our box. Anything else and we need to be looking at someone with a far wider skill set unless we're happy to be a mediocre Championship club.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I'm sure that McCallum will get a new contract if we fail to go up because he's cheaper than keeping Giannoulis, who will clearly be for the chopping block to cut the wage bill unless we sneak up through the play offs.

But people are getting way too excited about Sorenson looking good against the team in 24th who have 19 fewer points than the team in 23rd, who have just lost their 9th game in a row and haven't won a game since 26th December.

Yes Sorenson looks good against opposition who are firmly League One quality. Looks like a complete passenger in many games against Championship quality opposition, and that's when he's fit which is not very often. For me he's one we say goodbye too, these flashes of quality are all too fleeting, been here 4 years and not done much at all. He's the defensive midfield version of Placheta, an eternal prospect based on some fleeting moments of quality and a few attributes which tell us that he should on paper be good, but for whatever reason just isn't.

New contract if he's cheap as a squad filler, on the basis of him being able to cover a few positions in a squad that will inevitably be thin due to budget constraints if we don't go up perhaps, but we'll be in serious trouble if he's one of our best XI players next season. He'd be a good first team player for Rotherham though, I'll give you that.

Based on what ??. He has played.a handful of games at DM in his time here .That is his position. Instead he is asked to fill in at LB, CD and RB. He is then deemed as a passenger. Yesterday was the chance to play him in his correct position and move McLean to the back but they didn’t do it. A new contract for him will be down to his injury record which has been very poor. I would like him to have a run of games between now and end of season in his preferred position.to see whether he gets a contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonnyace1 said:

Based on what ??. He has played.a handful of games at DM in his time here .That is his position. Instead he is asked to fill in at LB, CD and RB. He is then deemed as a passenger. Yesterday was the chance to play him in his correct position and move McLean to the back but they didn’t do it. A new contract for him will be down to his injury record which has been very poor. I would like him to have a run of games between now and end of season in his preferred position.to see whether he gets a contract.

I was going to say that - when did Lungi have a solid run as a DM? His longest run was at left-back in Farke's first title-winning season IIRC.

2 hours ago, jonnyace1 said:

Based on what ??. He has played.a handful of games at DM in his time here 

25 times to be precise.

I like Sorensen, but I don't think he has done anything particularly of note yet to suggest he deserves a starting birth. He was one of the more experienced heads in the side that capitulated at the end of last season where he played predominantly at CB alongside Omobamidele. That was a moment for him to step up and shine and it didn't really happen.

Better in a more defensive midfield role? I think the issue that we are seeing with that role these days is that very few teams can have a player in midfield who's only real asset is their defensive ability. Many are much better than that. Kante probably sums that up in a sense. Tettey was fantastic positionally and defensively but was a bit of a liability in our passing game, though like a fine wine, he got better, much better with age - or perhaps just Farke's influence.

I hope Sorensen does go on to prove me wrong though. I want all of our players to succeed whether I reflect that they are unlikely to or not.

One last thing, if you really think he is good, then at least give him the respect of getting his name right... SorensEn not SorensOn.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No, Sorensen is very good utility player, that's it. There's absolutely no way he should be starting regularly at center half, against the rotherhams of the league fine, any one half decent? No chance. 

I'd offer him a new deal though, nothing wrong with a utility player to cover many bases. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I was going to say that - when did Lungi have a solid run as a DM? His longest run was at left-back in Farke's first title-winning season IIRC.

I think his lack of a run in his preferred position under 3 managers probably speaks volumes itself 

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

I think his lack of a run in his preferred position under 3 managers probably speaks volumes itself 

I'm pretty sure when he has been played as a CDM he hasn't done that well either. He certainly is a bit of an enigma because he's decent when played out of position but anonymous when played in it! 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I'm pretty sure when he has been played as a CDM he hasn't done that well either. He certainly is a bit of an enigma because he's decent when played out of position but anonymous when played in it! 

Yeah, like you say if he stays fit rest of season a contract isn't a bad idea because he can cover multiple positions. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

McLean - Lungi centre-half pairing, anyone? Might work if the opposition team haven't got overly tall strikers, and you've got the left foot/right foot combo.

No 

Nothing wrong with Gibson as he’s shown in recent weeks, Hanley great defender unfortunately struggled with fitness as has Batth and Duffy 

id expect at least 2 to leave this summer 

22 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

When’s Duffy due back?

20 years hopefully 

10 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

I am in no way supportive of Hanley. Lol, just find our fans obsession with lungi hilarious

10 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If there was ever a coach who'd pick a team with no central defenders in it, it's Wagner. This isn't even a criticism.

Rotherham were the poorest side to come to CR for years 

k