https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68515515

The Americans have released a report saying that the spike of UFO sightings in the 1950's and 60's was most likely related to test flights. I'm fascinated by the subject but I think this is a reasonable assumption. There are now billions of people in the world with a good quality camera in their pocket but I haven't seen any convincing photo or film evidence. 

On 09/03/2024 at 06:38, dylanisabaddog said:

The Americans have released a report saying that the spike of UFO sightings in the 1950's and 60's was most likely related to test flights.

That and the power of suggestion imbued by the countless B-Movies, comics and TV programmes.

And as you rightly point out, no credible evidence has been produced in this ultra modern age. 

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Lol, you'll be telling me Dr Who isn't real next.

He's definitely real but I think suggestions that he was Jesus are part of some sort of BBC conspiracy. 

Had be believing the world was infested with giant maggots and kept me out of the sea for a good few years. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Daz Sparks said:

Had be believing the world was infested with giant maggots and kept me out of the sea for a good few years. 

That and Steven Spielberg 

12 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

That's what they want us to think.

It would be nice to think that was true but as @Daz Sparkshas said, there is no credible evidence despite the billions of people walking around with a camera in their pocket. 

Posted (edited)

I'm of the hard science type.

Whereas I think 99.999% of so called sightings have a simple natural or man-made (even if embellished) explanations (even if we aren't quite sure yet such as earthquake lights) there remains a few that nobody has any rational explanations for. The most obvious recent ones are the released footage from the US Navy. Officially - the Pentagon's report is that they are real but not ours. They could be somebody else with far superior technologies (Russian, Chinese ....)

Personally, I'm of the laws of probability that we are not alone, and that being so given the age of the Universe much more advanced cultures are likely out there. It seems to me that we'd make a very interesting study of the temporally very rare and short timescale of an emergent technical civilization coming of age given that I think there are probably only a few hundred years if that between the invention of radio to a full understanding of the cosmos - a blink of the eye in the timescales of any potential advanced star faring culture.

Given that - I can see that the so called 'Zoo' theory makes a lot of sense. Occasionally, the veil drops and we catch a glimpse that we are being watched.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Posted (edited)

image.jpeg.5c48d6f74c8b38e3b6d49d3a443e34ca.jpeg.

...I was once abducted by them decades ago...and they fed me mashed potato.....

Edited by Mello Yello
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm of the hard science type.

Whereas I think 99.999% of so called sightings have a simple natural or man-made (even if embellished) explanations (even if we aren't quite sure yet such as earthquake lights) there remains a few that nobody has any rational explanations for. The most obvious recent ones are the released footage from the US Navy. Officially - the Pentagon's report is that they are real but not ours. They could be somebody else with far superior technologies (Russian, Chinese ....)

Personally, I'm of the laws of probability that we are not alone, and that being so given the age of the Universe much more advanced cultures are likely out there. It seems to me that we'd make a very interesting study of the temporally very rare and short timescale of an emergent technical civilization coming of age given that I think there are probably only a few hundred years if that between the invention of radio to a full understanding of the cosmos - a blink of the eye in the timescales of any potential advanced star faring culture.

Given that - I can see that the so called 'Zoo' theory makes a lot of sense. Occasionally, the veil drops and we catch a glimpse that we are being watched.

I assume you mean the tic tac sightings. They are extraordinary. 

https://amuedge.com/beyond-ufos-what-are-navy-pilots-seeing-in-the-skies/

The US, China and Russia have been pouring vast amounts of money into 'black' projects for years so in all probability they're man made. 

If they were alien, the question must be why? Why on earth would they draw attention to themselves? And if they have the technology necessary to travel many light years why on earth would they need to send tiny spheres to have a look at us? Surely they'd have the ability to watch us from a long distance? 

I also struggle with the mathematical probability theory. I remember reading that the mathematical chance of life being created by the big bang was enormous. Isn't the chance of it happening more than once the sum of enormous x enormous? Or am I being thick? 

I'm not a great one for conspiracy theories but I'm more fascinated by the thought of the small spheres being man made as opposed to alien. The fact that all the recorded sightings are in America is interesting but perhaps not surprising bearing in mind the nature of Russia and China. 

It is clear the Americans are concerned about it. The internet carries a permanent feed from the International Space Station and about 10 years ago a strange large object appeared on camera. NASA cut the feed immediately but not before people had seen it. A credible explanation was later provided but they were nervous enough to pull the feed. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I assume you mean the tic tac sightings. They are extraordinary. 

https://amuedge.com/beyond-ufos-what-are-navy-pilots-seeing-in-the-skies/

The US, China and Russia have been pouring vast amounts of money into 'black' projects for years so in all probability they're man made. 

If they were alien, the question must be why? Why on earth would they draw attention to themselves? And if they have the technology necessary to travel many light years why on earth would they need to send tiny spheres to have a look at us? Surely they'd have the ability to watch us from a long distance? 

I also struggle with the mathematical probability theory. I remember reading that the mathematical chance of life being created by the big bang was enormous. Isn't the chance of it happening more than once the sum of enormous x enormous? Or am I being thick? 

I'm not a great one for conspiracy theories but I'm more fascinated by the thought of the small spheres being man made as opposed to alien. The fact that all the recorded sightings are in America is interesting but perhaps not surprising bearing in mind the nature of Russia and China. 

It is clear the Americans are concerned about it. The internet carries a permanent feed from the International Space Station and about 10 years ago a strange large object appeared on camera. NASA cut the feed immediately but not before people had seen it. A credible explanation was later provided but they were nervous enough to pull the feed. 

There are good answers to all your questions but - 

200 billion trillion stars in the universe - many with planets and moons it seems.

We now know that water oceans exist in several places even in our solar system - and did so on Mars. We even have hints of life already on Mars (form Viking to seasonal methane emissions). Of course we have a high bar for definitive proof.

It would seem that 'simple' life might be very common although we only have one proven example (earth) at present. Find it on Mars or elsewhere 'locally' - especially a separate genesis (no panspermia - are we all Martians?) and we are no longer unique.

The question then would be higher forms of life, intelligence, technical and so. **** Sapiens have been around for 300,000 odd years  (earth 4 billion years sold - but simple life we now know started quickly) but only in the last 100 or so can we even ask these questions (the Greeks got close - steam engines). There may have been others.

Bottom line is that we have a history of thinking we are the centre of all things, unique, only to be proven wrong. Finding intelligent life elsewhere is just more of the same. We aren't 'unusual' or special.

As to the videos, yes of course they could be man-made (or even placed if you want conspiracy theories) - but the modes of levitation / propulsion elude us as they don't seem to have obvious exhaust, heat, down blasts etc. Some new physics there? That would be a shocker if they were real and Chinese or Russian as they would obsolete the Yanks overnight. Bows and arrows against the lightning.

I ought to add there are lots of Chinese and Russian sightings too!

Yes - ignore all the 'Area 51' and Whitesands stuff - many a drone / experimental aircraft misunderstood. That still leaves this awkward few.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Statistics - The chance of any event happening once may be small - but the chance if it happening again is just the same once it has happened once. Toss a coin and its 50/50. It 50/50 the next time too heads or tails! The 'big-bang' didn't create life

Yes there are some strange ones. However, the first powered flight was 120 years ago and 65 years later we landed on the moon. We have moved at an extraordinary pace since the industrial revolution so I wouldn't rule out the tic tacs being human in origin. And I simply can't see why aliens would bother. As a race we tend to attribute anything we don't understand to God or aliens. The interesting thing is that It has been noticeable that the Americans have been far more open since the tic tacs first appeared. 

There was an American Navy film of one of them diving into the sea and not reappearing. To my knowledge no one has openly asked the Americans what they found when they went to have a look. Did they find it? That's assuming they did go and look but it would beggar belief that they didn't. 

I'm always amused by the likes of Brian Cox talking about the conditions needed for life to exist elsewhere. It's somewhat lacking in imagination to assume that life elsewhere would need oxygen, water and light to survive. We just don't know if that is the case or not. 

If there is anything out there I hope they hurry up and say hello. I'm getting old and I'd hate to miss it. It would be the most extraordinary day in the history of the world. 

Posted (edited)

Yes there are some strange ones. However, the first powered flight was 120 years ago and 65 years later we landed on the moon. We have moved at an extraordinary pace since the industrial revolution so I wouldn't rule out the tic tacs being human in origin. And I simply can't see why aliens would bother. As a race we tend to attribute anything we don't understand to God or aliens. The interesting thing is that It has been noticeable that the Americans have been far more open since the tic tacs first appeared. 

There was an American Navy film of one of them diving into the sea and not reappearing. To my knowledge no one has openly asked the Americans what they found when they went to have a look. Did they find it? That's assuming they did go and look but it would beggar belief that they didn't. 

I'm always amused by the likes of Brian Cox talking about the conditions needed for life to exist elsewhere. It's somewhat lacking in imagination to assume that life elsewhere would need oxygen, water and light to survive. We just don't know if that is the case or not. 

If there is anything out there I hope they hurry up and say hello. I'm getting old and I'd hate to miss it. It would be the most extraordinary day in the history of the world. 

Quite. I tend to the view that life is common and given that there may well be several highly technically advanced very mature civilizations thousands or even millions of years old with us 'in range' for them.  

That said we'd make a fascinating study of an emergent technical civilization (a very very rare event) for them that may eventually join them (with the odd nudge c.f. Gabriel etc) - especially in the few hundred years where we move from the industrial and information revolutions to investigating the planets and a full understanding of the mechanics or the cosmos. Its only a relatively short window (for them) before they'd become obvious to us anyway - and yet I'm pretty sure they would't wish to overtly influence our own unique development characteristics providing we don't blow ourselves up! They'd be like watchful parents watching children climbing trees and hoping they don't fall and hurt themselves! Might hide the matches though! 

That's my take on it anyway. Zoo theory of sorts with the emerging realization for us that they are there. A kind of trekky 'first directive'

Edited by Yellow Fever

Posted (edited)

Generally not a conspiracy theorist and if you pushed me I'd probably say I don't believe, but UFOs are the one conspiracy I will give time to and wouldn't entirely write off. Not sure why, but I just think it's feasible given the size of the universe.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

25 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Generally not a conspiracy theorist and if you pushed me I'd probably say I don't believe, but UFOs are the one conspiracy I will give time too and wouldn't entirely write off. Not sure why, but I just think it's feasible given the size of the universe.

I feel the same way. Perhaps subconsciously it's a similar thing to religion in that it gives you hope? If there is no one out there it makes the universe a very lonely place. 

The tic tac thing is fascinating. They are clearly real and either they're man made or alien. If they're man made as I believe, mankind is far more advanced than we have been led to believe 

Posted (edited)

The "stuff you should know" podcast released an episode on Thursday; about the alien abduction phenomenon of the mid-20th century. Pretty much the same deal - mass hysteria due to media coverage and made for TV movies, and general bandwagonning. Died a death since everyone got camera phones.

They've done UFOs on an episode before too.

Edited by kick it off

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The "stuff you should know" podcast released an episode on Thursday; about the alien abduction phenomenon of the mid-20th century. Pretty much the same deal - mass hysteria due to media coverage and made for TV movies, and general bandwagonning. Died a death since everyone got camera phones.

They've done UFOs on an episode before too.

Did they mention the tic tac videos? 

I'm not interested in alien abduction but I'll seek out the other podcast. 

Humans see things on a very narrow waveband and the cameras we produce are geared to that waveband too. So much goes on unseen that if we knew about would be amazed. 

It would be no surprise to me that the occasional glimpses of the unexplainable are sometimes man made and sometimes not man made. 

Did they mention the tic tac videos? 

I'm not interested in alien abduction but I'll seek out the other podcast. 

Not in the episode from Thursday, think the UFO episode/s are quite old so might take some digging - I just had a brief look on google but couldn't find them, they definitely exist though

On 14/03/2024 at 10:19, Yellow Fever said:

There are good answers to all your questions but - 

200 billion trillion stars in the universe - many with planets and moons it seems.

We now know that water oceans exist in several places even in our solar system - and did so on Mars. We even have hints of life already on Mars (form Viking to seasonal methane emissions). Of course we have a high bar for definitive proof.

It would seem that 'simple' life might be very common although we only have one proven example (earth) at present. Find it on Mars or elsewhere 'locally' - especially a separate genesis (no panspermia - are we all Martians?) and we are no longer unique.

The question then would be higher forms of life, intelligence, technical and so. **** Sapiens have been around for 300,000 odd years  (earth 4 billion years sold - but simple life we now know started quickly) but only in the last 100 or so can we even ask these questions (the Greeks got close - steam engines). There may have been others.

Bottom line is that we have a history of thinking we are the centre of all things, unique, only to be proven wrong. Finding intelligent life elsewhere is just more of the same. We aren't 'unusual' or special.

As to the videos, yes of course they could be man-made (or even placed if you want conspiracy theories) - but the modes of levitation / propulsion elude us as they don't seem to have obvious exhaust, heat, down blasts etc. Some new physics there? That would be a shocker if they were real and Chinese or Russian as they would obsolete the Yanks overnight. Bows and arrows against the lightning.

I ought to add there are lots of Chinese and Russian sightings too!

Yes - ignore all the 'Area 51' and Whitesands stuff - many a drone / experimental aircraft misunderstood. That still leaves this awkward few.

I have to question why we are assuming that water has to exist for life to be sustainable. I know its essential for us on our  planet but that isn't to say that its needed on others with different life forms with different chemical makeups. Even now on planet Zogg the inhabitants maybe look down and thinking there cant be life there on Earth - they have water

26 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

I have to question why we are assuming that water has to exist for life to be sustainable. I know its essential for us on our  planet but that isn't to say that its needed on others with different life forms with different chemical makeups. Even now on planet Zogg the inhabitants maybe look down and thinking there cant be life there on Earth - they have water

I agree with you there and it infuriates me. The world of science was convinced about all sorts of things until Einstein proved them wrong. They never learn. 

16 minutes ago, BurwellCanary said:

Of course there are other weirder possibilities but liquid water we know is abundant and a really good solvent for complex chemical reactions. Other possible solvents - ammonia for instance might work.

It just seems that 'water based' life could be really abundant anyway without invoking other scenarios of which we have no experience or evidence not that it can't be imagined.

It's a bit like musing on non-carbon based life - silicon, phosphorus or even mercury if I remember (plus others) - all could form the basis of complex chemistry perhaps under the right (extreme) conditions but carbon is by the far the most plausible and we already know that complex carbon organic molecules are floating free in space - the building blocks of life as we know it.

39 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Not in the episode from Thursday, think the UFO episode/s are quite old so might take some digging - I just had a brief look on google but couldn't find them, they definitely exist though

I found both on Spotify. The UFO one predates the recent tic tac videos recorded by USAF. In my mind they're the most interesting because they're either alien or human in origin. If human they are an enormous step forward for science. 

The conspiracy theory is that they're human based on alien science. No comment. 

• Like 1

Who benefits from the existence of UFOs?  Answer that correctly and you will know what they are and where they come from. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I agree with you there and it infuriates me. The world of science was convinced about all sorts of things until Einstein proved them wrong. They never learn. 

Actually, science always learns when things are unexplainable or need tweaking.  I seem to recall Mercury's orbit was a quandary with pure Newtonian gravity. Today we have lots of theories trying to explain dark matter/energy (do they even exist but somethings missing)  - and indeed if our present theory of gravity (or spacetime) is indeed correct. May need revision again!

Edited by Yellow Fever

7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Who benefits from the existence of UFOs?  Answer that correctly and you will know what they are and where they come from. 

Is it Elon Musk? 

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It's a bit like musing on non-carbon based life - silicon, phosphorus or even mercury if I remember (plus others) - all could form the basis of complex chemistry perhaps under the right (extreme) conditions but carbon is by the far the most plausible and we already know that complex carbon organic molecules are floating free in space - the building blocks of life as we know it.

I had completely missed the James Webb aided discovery! Why does something like that not dominate the media? Or is it just me that missed it? 

Anyway, it's an extraordinary discovery! 

https://www.nasa.gov/universe/webb-makes-first-detection-of-crucial-carbon-molecule/

21 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Is it Elon Musk? 

Lol. UFOs were a thing before Elon was born so that might provide a time frame but we might be in the general area with Musky, who knows?