...has passed on to the great betting shop in the sky. Great entertainer in his prime. He,along with Worthington,Marsh,Hudson, were real players who got you off your seat.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We played Carlisle away in the early 1970s and from memory they beat us 4-0 and Bowles got a hattrick. And one of his later managers quipped that if he had been able to pass a betting shop as well as he passed a football he would have been one of the greats. RIP.

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We played Carlisle away in the early 1970s and from memory they beat us 4-0 and Bowles got a hattrick. And one of his later managers quipped that if he had been able to pass a betting shop as well as he passed a football he would have been one of the greats. RIP.

By all accounts, was known to go to the bookies at half time.

An entertainer on the pitch who somehow managed to wriggle around the defenders.

Played in a very good QPR team who came to Carrow Rd with a great chance of being league champions. It was Norwich winning 3.2 that saw them missing it by 1 point to Liverpool 

Another great  character lost.

RIP Stan.

Edited by Sheva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.jpeg.94ff2304926004e275f660c8891aaceb.jpegBest English team I’ve ever seen, QPR, but this picture is a good one , sent to me by Steve Clark from Carlisle 

19 minutes ago, Sheva said:

Played in a very good QPR team who came to Carrow Rd 

• Like 1

Enjoy this trip down memory lane! Some great goals from the man.

True entertainer. First Rodney Marsh in the Rangers No 10 shirt then Stan Bowles. Wow!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sheva said:

An entertainer on the pitch who somehow managed to wriggle around the defenders.

Played in a very good QPR team who came to Carrow Rd with a great chance of being league champions. It was Norwich winning 3.2 that saw them missing it by 1 point to Liverpool 

Another great  character lost.

RIP Stan.

That was one of the great Carrow Rd matches 👍

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.94ff2304926004e275f660c8891aaceb.jpegBest English team I’ve ever seen, QPR, but this picture is a good one , sent to me by Steve Clark from Carlisle 

It was a bleak time for barbers.

1 hour ago, percy varco said:

A character within the game, the likes of which is missing from the game now

Ivan Tony? 😉

I'm sure I remember him appearing once on Superstars (who remembers it?) and, unlike most of the competitors who took part and were deadly serious with it (Brian Jacks, Keegan falling off his bike at speed etc) just looked as if he'd turned up for a laugh and came a distant last in just about everything.

An entertainer. Remember him standing out at Orient when he was there.

A favourite story I read about him was about him playing a game and the ref was giving no decisions his way. He went to the ref and asked him "If I was to call you a c*** what would you do?". The ref said he would send him off. Bowles then said "What if I just thought it then?" The ref said "Stan you can  think whatever you like, no problem by me". Bowles then said " Well then, I think you're a c***"

• Haha 2