On 24/02/2024 at 10:32, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Roeder, Grant, Gunn. 

That sounds about right to me. Maybe Hamilton might just squeeze Gunny out of the top 3

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Roeder probably gets it. But, didn’t he take us on a really good 15 game unbeaten run the season before relegation?

He had a bit of a pattern, not just with us, of making an immediate impact at clubs but not being able to sustain it. 

He did do what he was initially employed to do, which was keep us up. But man, he was a difficult person to like. Have seen it suggested that his brain tumour caused a bit of a personality shift,  so I'm inclined to cut him some slack in that regard

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chicken said:

You say Hamilton was never management material but we were his 6th, and albeit last managerial role.

I want to say it was a time when perhaps coaching and managing had started to change. As I remember it, the plan was actually to have him eventually step up to the role of sporting director once Worthington had been his understudy for a bit. However, his signings, bar Steen Nedergaard, were all a bit underwhelming to say the least and I think that knocked that idea on the head. Step forward Worthington and he quickly built a well drilled, defensively mean side that got to the play-off finals. 

In June 1998, after dumping Mike Walker, City appointed Bryan Hamilton as Director of Football, with Bruce Rioch as First Team Manager.

When Rioch left (March 2000) Hamilton stepped in, firstly as Caretaker then on a permanent basis.

8 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Roeder probably gets it. But, didn’t he take us on a really good 15 game unbeaten run the season before relegation? A terrible manager doesn’t do that.. but just a really obnoxious person. A bit like an ex sporting director…

God, could you imagine Webber and Roeder in tandem, with a drunken Delia at an AGM. Wow! I need to clear that from my mind.

Glen Roeder,  Grant,  Hamilton,  Megson ,  Adams  

Gunn wasn't a manager, he was a legend, who ever gave him the job please stand up

On 25/02/2024 at 12:06, Robert N. LiM said:

He had a bit of a pattern, not just with us, of making an immediate impact at clubs but not being able to sustain it. 

He did do what he was initially employed to do, which was keep us up. But man, he was a difficult person to like. Have seen it suggested that his brain tumour caused a bit of a personality shift,  so I'm inclined to cut him some slack in that regard

Roeder could actually spot a player too- Wes obviously but also Clingan. Even the signing of Martin Taylor, if only for a short while, was a huge boost and a number of the loanees we had under him went on to have decent careers- Kieran Gibbs, Ryan Bertrand, Ched Evans etc.

Grant in some ways did more damage by completely wasting the money we got from selling Earnshaw and Etuhu. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Roeder could actually spot a player too- Wes obviously but also Clingan. Even the signing of Martin Taylor, if only for a short while, was a huge boost and a number of the loanees we had under him went on to have decent careers- Kieran Gibbs, Ryan Bertrand, Ched Evans etc.

Grant in some ways did more damage by completely wasting the money we got from selling Earnshaw and Etuhu. 

Yeah, it's funny: if you asked me to name my least-favourite NCFC manager, I would say Roeder without a second thought. But it's pretty difficult to make the case that he was objectively the worst.

On 24/02/2024 at 07:53, Old Shuck said:

Gary Megson. His time marked by nothing very much at all really. But had a few decent goes of it elsewhere.

That was my immediate shout, showing my age.  JD wasn't much better, but he was seriously undermined by Chase who sold everyone who was any good.  We could have been great had we done something to replace Gunny that fateful season. Andy Marshall was a good keeper, Prem quality, but nowhere near ready for what we threw at him, and in that 4 down 2 up season, it was a really costly move. Especially when we were being offered Chris Woods as I recall.  Simon Tracey wasn't the answer either - 1 appearance for us I believe.

Roeder by a mile - what he did to Huckerby was unforgiveable. We have had some belters though - Megson; Deehan; Rioch; Hamilton; Smith; Grant; Gunn all of them dreadful. I think the football under Hughton was probably the worst I've ever seen us play.

I think Wagner is on course to come quite high on the list - the football we play under him is also pretty woeful.

16 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Roeder by a mile - what he did to Huckerby was unforgiveable.

Agreed. I was mildly (only mildly) defending Roeder above, but that was simply appalling.

On a related note, I was always very impressed in those new signing videos to see how much time Stuart Webber spent showing new players/coaches the wall of fame at Colney. Seems like a small thing, but that sense that representing NCFC is something to be hugely proud of is a really important aspect of a sporting culture. For all the good reasons to criticise SW, I imagine that will have outlived his time here - and he would never have treated a club icon like Huckerby in that way.

2 hours ago, ROBFLECK said:

Roeder, Gunn , Grant...

And to think we had the three of them in a row.

Dire times.

Gunn, Neil Adams, Hamilton. All personally appointed by Delia. Recipe for disaster and was...

• Confused 1