Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

TV/Streaming services programmes.

I thought we had a thread for this but I couldn't find one.

Anyhoo, big thumbs up for Apple TVs Masters of the Air. Watched the first one last night and loved it.

Local angle too, being about the 100th Bomb Group based at Thorpe Abbotts during WWII.

• Like 1

I did try Trigger Point on ITVX. Parts riveting but equally parts ludicrous so I haven't really got into it further. Did anyone watch the whole thing?

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

I did try Trigger Point on ITVX. Parts riveting but equally parts ludicrous so I haven't really got into it further. Did anyone watch the whole thing?

I did recently watch the first series and I know exactly what you mean. 

So many bombs in such a short space of time...

• Like 1

Death in Paradise has painted itself into a corner becoming a bit samey for the same reasons.

Trouble in Paradise would have given them more variety in the storylines.

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Anyhoo, big thumbs up for Apple TVs Masters of the Air. Watched the first one last night and loved it.

Have to disagree. Watched the first 3 episodes and was bored stiff. Slow pace, boring, uninteresting characters and the feeling you're going to get 10 episodes of bombers falling from the sky on que. They go on missions and pressure on, but then there's to much of them kicking about in base or in town in safety. Lots of them die of course and the 4th episode has me more interested, but after band of brothers and the pacific focusing on bomber crews was always going to be tough.

I'll be watching it all of course.

Twenty years later than everyone else I'm now watching Life On Mars. Really enjoying it, all the retro stuff from when we were all a lot younger, including Wrigley's juicy fruit chewing gum 😀

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the Slow Horses series? I'm currently getting through the books and they are excellent so have they transitioned well?

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did anyone watch the Slow Horses series? I'm currently getting through the books and they are excellent so have they transitioned well?

If anything, the TV series is better. Gary Oldman is outstanding as the lead character. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've just started 'Under the banner of heaven'.

True story about murder in the Mormon community in America. The first episode is very powerful. 

ITV x

Edited by dylanisabaddog

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If anything, the TV series is better. Gary Oldman is outstanding as the lead character. 

That's good to hear. I may have to indulge. Has Gary perfected the art of farting?😄 

Netflix. 'True Detective Night Country' starring Jodie Foster is excellent with a very clever and unexpected ending. 

• Like 2

Just now, Herman said:

That's good to hear. I may have to indulge. Has Gary perfected the art of farting?😄 

Yes. And there is a scene with him eating a Chinese meal which is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. 

• Haha 1

On 19/02/2024 at 15:02, Herman said:

Anybody up for the covid drama, Breathless, tonight? 

Excellent telly 👍

You tend to forget what was going on at the time.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Currently rewatching Homeland from the beginning.

That will take a while 

• Like 1

How many of these have people signed up for?

In our house we have Sky Sports, Netflix & Amazon Prime but the latter is more for the free delivery of all of the stuff my daughter orders.

I can't be bothered to pay for any more. My colleagues keep telling me I'm missing out on some shows but I don't see it that way, I think the production companies are limiting their audience. I suppose the money Disney & Apple give them must be enough for them not to care. 

Somewhat unrelated but I do feel the future will be on demand streaming. Are there that many that stay up waiting for tv shows when they could just watch them at any time?

And you know the sooner the TV license is ditched and the BBC becomes a Netflix style subscribtion service the better

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Somewhat unrelated but I do feel the future will be on demand streaming. Are there that many that stay up waiting for tv shows when they could just watch them at any time?

And you know the sooner the TV license is ditched and the BBC becomes a Netflix style subscribtion service the better

No, no, no.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

How many of these have people signed up for?

In our house we have Sky Sports, Netflix & Amazon Prime but the latter is more for the free delivery of all of the stuff my daughter orders.

I can't be bothered to pay for any more. My colleagues keep telling me I'm missing out on some shows but I don't see it that way, I think the production companies are limiting their audience. I suppose the money Disney & Apple give them must be enough for them not to care. 

It's pretty annoying when there are so many services to choose from. If you can get a deal/trial for Disney+, it's worth it to watch 'The Bear'

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Satriales said:

It's pretty annoying when there are so many services to choose from. If you can get a deal/trial for Disney+, it's worth it to watch 'The Bear'

Is it really worth it for one programme? I don't feel like I've missed anything by not watching it.

The gentleman. 

The boys

From. 

The umbrella academy. 

Godfather of Harlem. 

Mayor of Kingstown. 

All great shows on streaming. 

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The gentleman. 

The boys

From. 

The umbrella academy. 

Godfather of Harlem. 

Mayor of Kingstown. 

I've not heard of any of these shows and I've never heard anyone else talk about them.

This is why I think that narrowing the potential audience seems the wrong thing to do.

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

That will take a while 

Not as bad as my sister's rewatching of ER.

364 episodes or something ridiculous, she's got 3 to go...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The gentleman. 

The boys

From. 

The umbrella academy. 

Godfather of Harlem. 

Mayor of Kingstown. 

I enjoyed Umbrella Academy, got to catch up with the second series.

Kate Winslet was great in Mare of Easttown.

Is anyone watching This Town ? Nothing like I expected and I'm finding it hard work. Watched three episodes now so I might as well finish it

On 18/03/2024 at 15:48, GodlyOtsemobor said:

The gentleman. 

The boys

From. 

The umbrella academy. 

Godfather of Harlem. 

Mayor of Kingstown. 

I'm not really a Guy Ritchie person so I've skipped the Gentlemen but I love Umbrella Academy and the Boys.