Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

Wagner In

Until the end of the season, beyond if we can creep up.

Back him. He's got an unfancied team up through the play offs before.

He then kept that team in the top tier.

He's kept us within touching distance of the play-offs despite losing only quality striker to injury for months, having no defensive midfielder and having to stick George Long in goal for 7 games, which is frankly pretty remarkable. Yes the league is weak this season outside of the top 3, but its still an achievement.

His subs are often a bit punty but he gets all the criticism when they don't work out, and no praise when they do, ironically they actually worked well against Watford. 

The players are playing for the shirt, and him. Can't question their work rate even if you can, at times, question their passing ability and decision making. They are playing with passion, and fire, this group currently care.

Our turnover will practically halve next season if we don't get promoted, when parachute payments end. Things can and probably will get a lot worse than this. Our only chance of keeping hold of any more than probably 2 out of Gunn, Sara, Sargent, Sainz and Rowe for next season will undoubtedly rely upon us somehow fluking a promotion.

The best chance we've got of fluking that promotion is to keep Wagner. 

Have to remember that he's managing to motivate players like Giannoulis and Gibson who could quite easily decide to start ducking out of 50/50s to ensure they don't get injured before being free agents in June, and he's probably doing that by promising that he'd keep them both if we can get promoted. Watch these players and some others down tools and enter self-preservation mode if we change manager now. Look at Sunderland, and Birmingham, when they changed managers while in touching distance of the play-offs.

Now I know that I'm not exactly presenting a compelling case for Wagner to remain as manager here long term, but I think I'm presenting a pretty decent one to cut him some slack, get behind them all and give him until the end of May?

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Real Buh said:

All that squandered money and resources that has lead us to this point

Yes, but that's down to Webber not Wagner, and Webber isn't here anymore.

Could even say that its down to Delia and hubby really for letting him get away with it for so long, but again, they are taking steps to reduce their own influence.

I want his Mr's gone too, I don't feel that its healthy to have her being the governor of Knapper's work.

But none of that changes the fact that Knapper is seriously going to have his work cut out if we can't fluke a promotion this season, and the only change we've got of that is to get behind the group, including Wagner.

Just now, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Could even say that its down to Delia and hubby really for letting him get away with it for so long, but again, they are taking steps to reduce their own influence.

I want his Mr's gone too, I don't feel that its healthy to have her being the governor of Knapper's work.

But none of that changes the fact that Knapper is seriously going to have his work cut out if we can't fluke a promotion this season, and the only change we've got of that is to get behind the group, including Wagner.

If we fluke a promotion do you want a man in charge who managed one of the very worst premier league teams of all time in Huddersfield? It made our Farke teams look like Barcelona.

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

If we fluke a promotion do you want a man in charge who managed one of the very worst premier league teams of all time in Huddersfield? It made our Farke teams look like Barcelona.

I mean, I'd probably support a brutal post-promotion sacking if we replaced with the right calibre of manager, but my main argument is that it makes no sense to do anything other than back Wagner between now and the end of the season at least.

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

You do mean the guy who kept them up against all the odds…when we weren’t there - it’s interesting how well you recall Huddersfield’s seasons in the top flight.

Clearly his star has fallen somewhat since then, but it really is pretty feeble to rewrite his record.  Do I see him succeeding? Not sure, but if we do somehow go up it surely suggests ‘something’ is working 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You do mean the guy who kept them up against all the odds…when we weren’t there - it’s interesting how well you recall Huddersfield’s seasons in the top flight.

Clearly his star has fallen somewhat since then, but it really is pretty feeble to rewrite his record.  Do I see him succeeding? Not particularly, but if we do then it surely suggests ‘something’ is working 

His record suggests periods of being flukey followed by sustained poor form and I’d very much go along with that. 

• Like 2

I'm mixed on Wagner. There are some things I like about him but others I don't. I'm pretty much where I was when he was appointed, which is the 'could do better, could do worse' camp.

But surely any fan who wants the best for the club has to get behind him and not boo him during matches. I honestly can't see the reason for not doing so, because he isn't going anywhere between now and May. 

At that point, I'd thank him for his efforts and bring someone else in, regardless of whether we 'fluke' promotion or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I would assume that it was not all down to Webber. I would assume that Wagner had some input as to whom he wanted, based on the style he wanted to play. Some of the blame also has to lie at Wagner's door. 

• Like 1

if Wagner gets us into the play offs then he will start next season in that dug out. Regardless of the play off outcome. 

Went up in my estimation on Tuesday night when he quite rightly called out those people who booed 

quite brilliant 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Have to say. When we went to Bristol City in the League, and he had McLean at Centre Back. The thoughts of many and myself were WTF, David Wagner is in panic. But, is this the match that our Season turned. and we started looking up ?

A brave decision. Nothing is guaranteed regarding the play offs. But he has given many, new hope for the remainder of this season

Here is hoping for a Win tomorrow and lets keep looking forward - OTBC

Happy for him to be here the rest of the season. Beyond that is down to Knapper, not the Pinkun.

If we finish the season strongly then who knows, but my strong preference is we look elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Went up in my estimation on Tuesday night when he quite rightly called out those people who booed 

quite brilliant 

100% gained more respect for him. And he's earnt the right to call them out with his results now spanning 17 or so games.

Wagner will be here until he fails to deliver or runs out of ideas.

Getting us into the play-offs will count as a success this season whether or not we get promoted.

All managers get sacked in the end - but normally after a prolonged bad run threatening relegation (not promotion) i.e as per Farke. Not just missing out on promotion either.

Now all you keyboard out of work EPL winning managers - get behind him. We have a job to do.