Fen Canary

Clapham Alkaline Attack

With reduced efficiency comes an increased backlog, which is especially noticeable post covid

Screenshot_20240204_142541_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.5c70b435e74f385d81d4bd046a952903.jpg

In fairness to caseworkers though they have had a lot more to deal with post 2020.

Screenshot_20240204_142158_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.3b1d2659e6e12fb3804027da3911f1c6.jpg

And that's before considering the big schemes and what they mean for delivery of business as usual:

Screenshot_20240204_142111_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.23938851897aee958f40e8dabec7d89f.jpg

Keep in mind that it seems part of the reason he was not deported was due to him claming to have converted to christianity and therefore cant be returned to Afghanistan as "his life would be in danger"

15 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

With reduced efficiency comes an increased backlog, which is especially noticeable post covid

Screenshot_20240204_142541_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.5c70b435e74f385d81d4bd046a952903.jpg

In fairness to caseworkers though they have had a lot more to deal with post 2020.

Screenshot_20240204_142158_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.3b1d2659e6e12fb3804027da3911f1c6.jpg

And that's before considering the big schemes and what they mean for delivery of business as usual:

Screenshot_20240204_142111_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.23938851897aee958f40e8dabec7d89f.jpg

Figure 2 tells a story. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Your concern should be that this man was allowed to stay in the UK because he claimed to have converted to Christianity. That is an absolutely ridiculous loophole which should be closed immediately.  We should not be allowing religious bodies to have any say in the running of this country. 

Unfortunately converting to Christianity will give any court some reason for concern that someone from Afghanistan will be subject to persecution  upon return to Afghanistan. In addition to that, were the word to get out in Afghanistan among people he was known to that the person had converted to Christianity, then they would be at risk of persecution, even if the conversion wasn't in good faith.

It's just another example of a rule made in good faith for worthy reasons being open to abuse that probably shouldn't exist because of its inflexibility. But it stems from our international treaty commitments rather than domestic law, so can't be addressed unless we withdraw from treaties or renegotiate international law.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

It’s fundamentally about a barbaric attack on a woman and her children, alleged to have been perpetrated by a migrant who entered the country through illegal means and who, despite being refused asylum twice and despite having been convicted of sexual assault, falsely claimed to have converted to Christianity in order to game the system.  So it very much is about our failed immigration and asylum system even though you might wish that it wasn’t.

He did NOT commit this hideous crime because he was an asylum seeker. He committed this crime because he shared a set of misogynistic assumptions along with millions of men in this country who think they own women as personal property to be abused and disposed of as they wish. You might wish to deflect from that fundamental truth to find another way to disparage asylum seekers but that is a FACT demonstrable by the simple perusal of government statistics.

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

In this case a Church of England vicar gave evidence to the effect that the man concerned had been converted to Christianity. Obviously he was hopelessly wrong but he has an imaginary friend in the sky so his judgement is clearly questionable. Neither he nor anyone else involved in organised religion should be involved in any way, shape or form in the government of this country. 

I'm hugely amused by the term "activist lawyer". Sunak uses the term "lefty lawyers" to make people like you angry. They're neither of those things. They are good old fashioned ambulance chasers who because of changes in legislation have stopped cold calling about accidents and now hang around immigration centres instead. They are neither Lefty nor Activist, they are just milking the system like they've always done. And if they vote at all it will probably be for the party that reduces their tax. 

So in your eyes all those who claim asylum claiming they’re fleeing persecution because of their religion can be sent back, no questions asked? 

7 hours ago, horsefly said:

This issue is much more fundamentally about the tens of thousands of violent attacks perpetrated by men against women every year. NO violence against women is acceptable whether the man is an asylum seeker or otherwise. 

Domestic violence is a completely seperate issue to violence being carried out by those that shouldn’t be in the country in the first place

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

He did NOT commit this hideous crime because he was an asylum seeker. He committed this crime because he shared a set of misogynistic assumptions along with millions of men in this country who think they own women as personal property to be abused and disposed of as they wish. You might wish to deflect from that fundamental truth to find another way to disparage asylum seekers but that is a FACT demonstrable by the simple perusal of government statistics.

He shouldn’t have been here. If he has been deported as he should have been after two failed applications then neither his sexual assault case or this attack would have happened.

You may try and frame it as a domestic abuse issue in which all men are somehow complicit but it’s not, it’s an immigration issue pure and simple

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think you’re the one deflecting from the fact that the only reason this low-life individual was able to commit this awful crime on the streets of London is because he was able to game our hopelessly porous asylum system.  For goodness sake, the only other person I’ve seen taking your view today is Gillian Keegan!

10 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Conservatives created this mess and then they made it worse.

Before 2010 we had a functioning asylum processing system, Cameron dismantled it and subsequent Tory Home Office ministers kept introducing policies that looked good in the headlines of the right wing media but in practice were bad laws that allowed the courts to challenge them.

The latest ridiculous idea of spending millions of pounds that, if it's ever implemented, will send about 20 people to Rwanda is a perfect example of how sh!t the Tories are. 

As useless as the Tories are (and they are f***ing abysmal) I don’t think this can be laid solely at their door. It’s not only Britain that is struggling with the numbers of asylum claims, most European countries are now in the same boat simply because of the sheer numbers making their way across. There are just tens of thousands more people to deal with than there was 20 years ago 

After hearing the culprit of this heinous crime was an asylum seeker I guess I am not the only one that thought "oh God, here we go again".

Anyway, how is it that a man with half a molten face is so hard to find?

Edited by Herman

56 minutes ago, horsefly said:

He did NOT commit this hideous crime because he was an asylum seeker. He committed this crime because he shared a set of misogynistic assumptions along with millions of men in this country who think they own women as personal property to be abused and disposed of as they wish. 

It's really odd that he was so violently misogynistic; it's not a trait I would expect to be that common among Afghan men based on what I've seen about Afghan society where everyone seems so respectful to women.

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

After hearing the culprit of this heinous crime was an asylum seeker I guess I am not the only one that thought "oh God, here we go again".

I get the feeling he's not walking around in public anymore, that's for sure. Chances are he may be getting help and is laying low.

Either that or given that half his face has including an entire eye has been melted off by battery acid and he has presumbly not seen proper medical attention there's also quite a chance he's dead

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I get the feeling he's not walking around in public anymore, that's for sure. Chances are he may be getting help and is laying low.

Either that or given that half his face has including an entire eye has been melted off by battery acid and he has presumbly not seen proper medical attention there's also quite a chance he's dead

Fingers crossed 

49 minutes ago, Herman said:

So you think the fact he shouldn’t have been in the country should have swept under the carpet? People shouldn’t be annoyed that a woman has suffered life changing injuries because our asylum laws make it incredibly easy for dangerous men such as this to game the system and not be deported 

4 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

So you think the fact he shouldn’t have been in the country should have swept under the carpet? People shouldn’t be annoyed that a woman has suffered life changing injuries because our asylum laws make it incredibly easy for dangerous men such as this to game the system and not be deported 

Again, the restrictions on what we can do with them derive from treaty obligations regarding refugees. We have no lawful means of dealing with this without giving notice on participation in some international treaties.

34 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Again, the restrictions on what we can do with them derive from treaty obligations regarding refugees. We have no lawful means of dealing with this without giving notice on participation in some international treaties.

I’m well aware of that, that’s why I think we should leave them as they’re no longer fit for purpose. It just concerns me that an increasing number of peoples opinions towards uncomfortable news stories should be to not mention them in case it makes their opinions look bad 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’m well aware of that, that’s why I think we should leave them as they’re no longer fit for purpose. It just concerns me that an increasing number of peoples opinions towards uncomfortable news stories should be to not mention them in case it makes their opinions look bad 

I agree. Give two years notice encouraging other countries to do the same along with a call for negotiation of new multilateral treaties over the two year to come into effect by the expiry of participation in existing treaties.

I see in this morning’s news that 40 “asylum seekers” on the Bibby Stockholm are in the process of converting to christianity.  In addition to Ezedi, I wonder how many have used that particular ruse over the last few years, and how many others have decided to convert to being gay.  What a total scam.  Surely even the most gullible of migrant supporters must be beginning to question the validity of some of these claims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Political football. 

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Keep in mind that it seems part of the reason he was not deported was due to him claming to have converted to christianity and therefore cant be returned to Afghanistan as "his life would be in danger"

It was the only reason. He failed with two previous applications but the Church of England became involved and he succeeded the 3rd time on the basis of converting to Christianity. 

We need an immediate change in the rules to ensure this doesn't happen again. 

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Political football. 

One person’s political football is another person’s widespread systematic scam of the asylum system.

Edited by Naturalcynic

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

Political football. 

I think this man’s victims would describe the failures of the asylum system to be slightly more than just “political football”

I have a feeling that neither of you give a stuff about the victims. I could be wrong but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It was the only reason. He failed with two previous applications but the Church of England became involved and he succeeded the 3rd time on the basis of converting to Christianity. 

We need an immediate change in the rules to ensure this doesn't happen again. 

How do you convert to Christianity? You either hold Christian beliefs or you do not, and this would seem to be longstanding, with involvement over a period of time and acceptance of the creed probably from early upbringing. Not always, though, I accept that.

It is not like changing your brand of washing up liquid or whatever.

Having said that, I converted from being a church warden (at eight years old) to being an atheist within a few years of growing up. But I suppose that's different.  

I'm actually more of a lapsed atheist these days, in any case, as I prefer to put the whole business out of my thinking and have far less regard for the Church than my own mortality.

This episode confirms that stance and reflects appallingly upon a dysfunctional system and a naive C of E.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

How do you convert to Christianity? You either hold Christian beliefs or you do not, and this would seem to be longstanding, with involvement over a period of time and acceptance of the creed probably from early upbringing. Not always, though, I accept that.

It is not like changing your brand of washing up liquid or whatever.

Having said that, I converted from being a church warden (at eight years old) to being an atheist within a few years of growing up. But I suppose that's different.  

I'm actually more of a lapsed atheist these days, in any case, as I prefer to put the whole business out of my thinking and have far less regard for the Church than my own mortality.

This episode confirms that stance and reflects appallingly upon a dysfunctional system and a naive C of E.

Many years ago Glenn Hoddle was reported as having found God. 

Terry Venables commented that it must have been one hell of a pass. 

On a more serious note you have very accurately described the C of E as being naive and dysfunctional. Not for the first time they have blood on their hands. But for some bizarre reason we give Bishops automatic entrance to the House of Lords. The only other country in the world with a similar system is Iran. 

We need to get these people out of our Government and education systems. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Many years ago Glenn Hoddle was reported as having found God. 

Terry Venables commented that it must have been one hell of a pass. 

On a more serious note you have very accurately described the C of E as being naive and dysfunctional. Not for the first time they have blood on their hands. But for some bizarre reason we give Bishops automatic entrance to the House of Lords. The only other country in the world with a similar system is Iran. 

We need to get these people out of our Government and education systems. 

Agreed. They have insufficient democratic hold to be given such a prominent place in our democratic system. 

57 minutes ago, Herman said:

I have a feeling that neither of you give a stuff about the victims. I could be wrong but I doubt it. 

Whilst I obviously don’t know the victims on a personal level, I think the whole situation is disgusting and shouldn’t have happened. However unfortunately it has happened, and heads should roll for it

45 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agreed. They have insufficient democratic hold to be given such a prominent place in our democratic system. 

Do they have any less right to be there than any of the hundreds of government cronies that get added constantly? The Lords needs to be scrapped, there’s simply no need for a second chamber 

Edited by Fen Canary
  • Like 1

It bemuses me when they trot out the local vicar or priest for an interview to pass comment on the victim of a tragedy in their parish, of whom probably doesn't attend church or who they've probably never met.

Irrelevant.