BroadstairsR

Cricket fans

The test series against India starts on Thursday.

Should be a cracker (sorry poppadum) with Baz ball against the world champs and a high class spin attack. England relying on spin more than usual, with Anderson omitted and Wood the only seamer. Massive crowds presenting colourful occasions.

Schedule: 

Jan 25

Fed 2

Feb 15

Feb 23

Mar 7

4pm UK time 

TNT Sports:

https://crichd.tv/sky-sports-cricket-live-streaming-isi

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

The test series against India starts on Thursday.

Should be a cracker (sorry poppadum) with Baz ball against the world champs and a high class spin attack. England relying on spin more than usual, with Anderson omitted and Wood the only seamer. Massive crowds presenting colourful occasions.

Schedule: 

Jan 25

Fed 2

Feb 15

Feb 23

Mar 7

4pm UK time 

TNT Sports:

https://crichd.tv/sky-sports-cricket-live-streaming-isi

Do you want to edit that to 4.00am? 

England have picked 3 spinners. I can't remember that happening before. It will be interesting to see how India cope without Kohli. 

I'm hoping England stuff them. The visa fiasco is absolutely pathetic behaviour. 

England's 16-man squad for India Ben Stokes (captain), Rehan Ahmed, James Anderson, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), Shoaib Bashir, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ben Foakes, Tom Hartley, Jack Leach, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Mark Wood, Dan Lawrence.22 hours ago

• Thanks 1

I expect we will lose the series, just can’t really predict how badly. It could be close but something tells me we could easily be on the end of a bit of a drubbing - wouldn’t be surprised if we lost by three or four…

What a superb game. Switch on if you can. Could go either way at the moment. 

I switched over for 20 minutes to watch West Indies win in Oz by 8 runs. Smith's face was a joy to behold 

• Like 1

Bloody hell! For those who can't find it Talk Sport 2. (also available at their site online if your radio can't pick it up)

You can thank me for the win. I didn't play the slightest bit of notice and have only just found out the result.

All the best, Jonah.👍

6 hours ago, Herman said:

You can thank me for the win. I didn't play the slightest bit of notice and have only just found out the result.

All the best, Jonah.👍

Me too lol, we were getting such a thrashing I didn’t turn it on, and had to go onto bbc sports news when I thought I heard them say we won on the news lol

• Like 1

Probably the best performance by an England team overseas. What is extraordinary is that commentarors (including ex pro's) were still criticising field placings and bowling changes well into the last innings. 

I've been watching test cricket for 50 years and the current England team is the most exciting I've watched. 

• Like 1

I've just seen the last hour of a remarkable innings by Ben Duckett. It's well worth setting your alarm clock for 4.00am tomorrow to see what happens next. This England team is extraordinary. Regardless of the result it's the most entertaining Test cricket I've ever seen. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've just seen the last hour of a remarkable innings by Ben Duckett. It's well worth setting your alarm clock for 4.00am tomorrow to see what happens next. This England team is extraordinary. Regardless of the result it's the most entertaining Test cricket I've ever seen. 

Fingers crossed he can navigate the tricky opening half/hour in the morning. He could go on to get a double hundred. Be good to see Root get a decent knock as well.

• Like 1

Root is due a score and Duckett has been exemplary ... hardly a mi**** shot, so hopefully it is onwards and upwards tomorrow.

This Indian team are the best, and we have matched them throughout in their own country.

Of course Kohli's absence has helped the England cause. 

Edit: miss hit then.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Root is due a score and Duckett has been exemplary ... hardly a mi**** shot, so hopefully it is onwards and upwards tomorrow.

This Indian team are the best, and we have matched them throughout in their own country.

Of course Kohli's absence has helped the England cause. 

Edit: miss hit then.

Fair comment but we all have injury problems. And visa problems. We have lost Stokes as a bowler although it was lovely to see him pi*sing himself laughing at a Duckett shot this morning. 

Enjoy it while it lasts though. Andrew Cook has just written a book about cricket and says that due to the vast improvements in Indian infrastructure they will have the best 4 teams in the world in 25 years time

India North, South, East and West. 

Terrifying but he's probably right

Comment on BBC hys 🤣

Comment posted by daddycool, today at 17:57daddycool
17:57
If running down the middle of the pitch deserves a 5-run penalty, then using sandpaper on the ball deserves the captain being shot by firing squad live on TV during the next drinks break.

9 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Comment on BBC hys 🤣

Comment posted by daddycool, today at 17:57daddycool
17:57
If running down the middle of the pitch deserves a 5-run penalty, then using sandpaper on the ball deserves the captain being shot by firing squad live on TV during the next drinks break.

The miscreants did get off rather lightly (was it just one year's ban?) as the Aussie mentality of win at all costs came through. Ditto Warner punching Joe Root and compare it with the Stoke's punishment for a nightclub incident which had nothing to do with cricket ... although a court case was pending in fairness.

I'll be watching today's happenings from the off in a bar with a couple of Aussie cricket fanatics and in warmer climes when Tiger Beer time approaches. They are already fearing the next Ashes series in Oz in 2025.

I'd readily get up at 4am to watch this series, though ... it has been fantastic so far due to the fact that it is so competitive. I'd probably not bother if it was the one-way slaughter some predicted.

Now Ashwin is out, we could win this test match.

The most pleasing aspect so far has been the emergence of the young English spinners at Test match level. Jack Leach developed into a useful operator, but was never a match winner to any great extent.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Need a decent 1st innings lead, probably a double ton from Duckett and a century from somebody else. Batting last on this pitch is going to be carnage, even with Ashwin out 

3 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Need a decent 1st innings lead, probably a double ton from Duckett and a century from somebody else. Batting last on this pitch is going to be carnage, even with Ashwin out 

It is a very good batting wicket. Ashwin reckons it is not cracking up. But, correct batting last in a five-day match is always tough.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

It is a very good batting wicket. Ashwin reckons it is not cracking up. But, correct batting last in a five-day match is always tough.

I wouldn’t want to be chasing much more than 200-250 

1 minute ago, Fen Canary said:

I wouldn’t want to be chasing much more than 200-250 

Probably, it would be competitive, which just up Stoke's street and when he is at his best. 

Awful, the Root shot was the wrong one at the wrong time. He doesn't quite fit Baz-ball and uncharacteristically continues the habit of getting himself out rather than making the bowler do it.

It started the collapse. Bairstow is not the same since his lengthy injury, either.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Checking the cricket score probably wasn't the smartest thing to do on waking up this morning. How disappointing. 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Awful, the Root shot was the wrong one at the wrong time. He doesn't quite fit Baz-ball and uncharacteristically continues the habit of getting himself out rather than making the bowler do it.

It started the collapse. Bairstow is not the same since his lengthy injury, either.

Agreed, not everybody needs to play aggressively for the style to work. There’s enough attacking players around him for Root to just play his natural game 

• Like 1

Oh dear!

Despite ending in seeming humiliation, It's been an enjoyable the series, for the most part.

I think that the England team were absolutely washed-out by the end and had virtually given up the ghost (Stokes' dismissal just now epitomises that view.) Even so, I do feel that they can hold their heads up high.

India has become the toughest place in world cricket to play a test series, and five tests is a lot in that context. 

With their vast population, enthusiasm for the game and magnificent infrastructure (even the camera work was excellent with cameras covering every centimetre of the ground) it could well be some time before they are knocked from off their perch, if ever. ref: Andrew Cook's book. 

Baz ball is not finished, but there is a time and a place for everything, and it will need reigning in and rationalised by the 2025 Ashes tour.

Positives: We have some very promising young spinners at last, and this could herald the end of good old Jack Leach. Two or three pacers have been blooded to replace Broad, Anderson and Wood. The batting line-up seems more or less stable with a couple of promising youngsters lined up, and Stokes has a few more years in him, perhaps some as a bowler.

T20 World series for the Summer then, two decent test series in store and an ODI series against the Aussies in England's barmy September.