Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Kenny Mclean; Sky Bet player of the month?

Hardly surprising he would be our nominee as he has been our most consistent and best performer. In fact I think that's been the case for several months this season.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Just shows how bad we are I guess.

And what about the rest of the league? That this nomination comes from?

Has the entire league been that bad?

Or is Kenny just better than many give him credit for?

This forum and some of these 'fans', honestly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Flying Dutchman said:

And what about the rest of the league? That this nomination comes from?

Has the entire league been that bad?

Or is Kenny just better than many give him credit for?

This forum and some of these 'fans', honestly.

I think the fact that we've been so bad in some games and generally inconsistent but yet we're still not completely out of it tells you how bad the league is.

The fact that he's been nominated because he got moved to play in CB when he's a midfield player tells you even more about our team. He'd have never got nominated in midfield, him at DM is like playing Placheta at LB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Just shows how bad we are I guess.

There are only 4 nominations for the whole league. Kenny is thought to have performed better than  players from all other clubs as well.

If you think Kenny is overated not sure what that says of the rest of the Championship!

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

There are only 4 nominations for the whole league. Kenny is thought to have performed better than  players from all other clubs as well.

If you think Kenny is overated not sure what that says of the rest of the Championship!

The league is really really poor, we've been really bad and inconsistent but still not out of the picture for play off (albeit we'll never finish there).

And the fact that he's moved to CB to get nominated and let's be honest defensively he's really poor but his distribution has been a positive. He'd never get nominated as a DM now would he....

If we had eleven players of Kenny’s solidity, consistency and ability in their relative positions, we’d comfortably be top six. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rich T The Biscuit said:

The league is really really poor, we've been really bad and inconsistent but still not out of the picture for play off (albeit we'll never finish there).

And the fact that he's moved to CB to get nominated and let's be honest defensively he's really poor but his distribution has been a positive. He'd never get nominated as a DM now would he....

This board keeps on and on about how bad the league is- I don’t see how that can be. By most measures the 3 clubs relegated from the Premier League are stronger than those promoted, while the promoted clubs from League 1 are arguably stronger than those who were relegated ( yes, even them!) so how is the league so much weaker than last year. Is it simply that this forum has degenerated to such an extent that many of the regular posters are just boring old folk who like to moan about everything( I realise there are exceptions to this!)

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Possibly not but in terms of a ball playing CB he's obviously caught the eye.

With the exception of Gunn and possibly Nunez the rest of our squad seem to be regressing.

5 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

If we had eleven players of Kenny’s solidity, consistency and ability in their relative positions, we’d comfortably be top six. 

If we keep playing as bad as we are he'll probably end up playing in every position so you'll get your wish 😆

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Possibly not but in terms of a ball playing CB he's obviously caught the eye.

With the exception of Gunn and possibly Nunez the rest of our squad seem to be regressing.

That's why he was nominated and to be fair to him he did well there, but he's as much a centre half as he is a defensive midfielder but because he's dependable it was needs must and he did a job for the team.

Just surprised that out of all the players and all the teams that had better months than we did, there aren't players who did more.

29 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Not really interesting to anyone who actually knows anything about what they're watching.

Well-deserved.

Shocking that they’ve left Wagner off the list of managers though. 😐

At exactly the same performance levels but in the centre of midfield, there is absolutely no way he gets nominated, just like he never has before despite well over 100 Championship games. Honestly, these Kenny fan-boys make it up as they go along.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton

1 minute ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

At exactly the same performance levels but in the centre of midfield, there is absolutely no way he gets nominated, just like he never has before despite well over 100 Championship games. Honestly, these Kenny fan-boys make it up as the go along.

Agree but it's a really low bar at the moment for him to be compared to in terms of our team.

Cards on the table I'm not a massive fan but give him some credit he did ok.

33 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

This board keeps on and on about how bad the league is- I don’t see how that can be. By most measures the 3 clubs relegated from the Premier League are stronger than those promoted, while the promoted clubs from League 1 are arguably stronger than those who were relegated ( yes, even them!) so how is the league so much weaker than last year. Is it simply that this forum has degenerated to such an extent that many of the regular posters are just boring old folk who like to moan about everything( I realise there are exceptions to this!)

You just need to look at how bad we've been to see how bad the league has been.

We're 5 points off playoffs, we've lost almost a third of our games but we still with a run could get into the mix (highly unlikely).

Apart from Leicester who will win it by March and then Ipswich and Southampton most other teams have been inconsistent or poor.

If it was a good league we'd be nowhere near the play offs with our record so far.

10 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Agree but it's a really low bar at the moment for him to be compared to in terms of our team.

Cards on the table I'm not a massive fan but give him some credit he did ok.

Yeah he did. I said that higher up in the thread.

My point is the Kenny fans come out with their "see, he is brilliant" nonsense, conveniently forgetting that in his preferred position, in two title winning teams, he has never before been nominated despite plying his trade at this level for what, 30 odd months cumulatively? 

Were they asking why a player that plays every minute and divides the fans as much as he does, has never won player of the season (never top three when we had good sides), has never been in a team of the season and has never been nominated for player of the month ever before? No... oddly silent on those ones. But he's been nominated now as a centre half so they were right all along!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Yeah he did. I said that higher up in the thread.

My point is the Kenny fans come out with their "see, he is brilliant" nonsense, conveniently forgetting that in his preferred position, in two title winning teams, he has never before been nominated despite plying his trade at this level for what, 30 odd months cumulatively? 

Were they asking why a player that plays every minute and divides the fans as much as he does, has never won player of the season (never top three when we had good sides), has never been in a team of the season and has never been nominated for player of the month ever before? No... oddly silent on those ones. But he's been nominated now as a centre half so they were right all along!

Agree with all of that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

At exactly the same performance levels but in the centre of midfield, there is absolutely no way he gets nominated, just like he never has before despite well over 100 Championship games. Honestly, these Kenny fan-boys make it up as the go along.

He got nominated for the work he did in the position he played.

The lengths some people go to to trash our players is quite a sight to behold

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nu_matik said:

He got nominated for the work he did in the position he played.

The lengths some people go to to trash our players is quite a sight to behold

No one has disputed that but the point made is still valid, he wouldn't have been nominated in "his position", whatever that's supposed to be.

For all the ones that don't rate him, there are plenty that do, everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one has to agree.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

No one has disputed that but the point made is still valid, he wouldn't have been nominated in "his position", whatever that's supposed to be.

For all the ones that don't rate him, there are plenty that do, everyone is entitled to an opinion and no one has to agree.

I personally feel its a bit unnecessary to point out someone's flaws when their strengths are being celebrated, that's all

Kenny McLean in 18/19 was probably the last name on the team sheet fast forward to 23/24 and the guy is one of the first names on the timesheet. This is just where we are as a club. His levels and performances certainly haven’t dropped. 

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nu_matik said:

I personally feel its a bit unnecessary to point out someone's flaws when their strengths are being celebrated, that's all

Fair enough.

I was more making references to how bad we've been but see how that may devalue him being nominated.

I was just surprised he had been.

11 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Fair enough.

I was more making references to how bad we've been but see how that may devalue him being nominated.

I was just surprised he had been.

It's good to see these kind of things are actually noticed by the panel, quite refreshing I feel. Don't get me wrong, I thought he did well and worth celebrating but didn't imagine it was more than many other league players who appeared to have a good month.

I just feel its part of terrible feel around here where anyone and everything at the club gets criticism even in success 

As Lappin, Martin and a couple others have said in the past,  if you don't rate McLean at championship level you've either not played football or understand it properly.

Their words, not mine.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Can see Mavadidi winning that. 

I'd agree. Great player

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, hogesar said:

As Lappin, Martin and a couple others have said in the past,  if you don't rate McLean at championship level you've either not played football or understand it properly.

Their words, not mine.

I don't think anyone on here has said they don't rate him at championship level, that's his level and he's a consistent 6 or 7 out of 10 most weeks.

Unfortunately for him he was played at defensive midfield and for that position he's probably a 4 or 5.