Fao Lakey

8 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

The wolf should’ve taken that pen 

things would be oh so different 

Please don’t start the debate again. I beg you 🙏

9 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Early footage of Snoddy:

Hanley's Movers and Shakers? 

You're joookun aren't yer? He can't even flippun run let alooon move an shake. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2024 at 14:10, TheBaldOne66 said:

Guess who’s on the Scrimmage this week? Your favourite player, Robert Snodgrass 🤣🤣🤣

I'm firmly in the LDC camp on this one. I've always believed Snodgrass was a negative influence overall in that team and we would probably have survived with a different, less selfish player in his position.

Tin hat on. Just my opinion.

EDIT: And I'm not basing that on the penalty incident, although I think it was symptomatic of everything that was wrong with Snodgrass, a player whose ego far surpassed his ability.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4

He was average. Very one footed and never provided great numbers, although he worked his nuts off and it was difficult for any forward thinking player to perform under Hughton.

He was hard worker and had a sweet left foot. Lower Prem to Upper Champs player though really, being a squad player at West Ham or at a yo-yo club like Norwich and Hull (at the time) about right for his level of ability.

Lacked a yard of pace and any ability with his other foot, and perhaps was a bit too selfish at times in possession for a player with those limitations.

However I don't think the selfish portrayal is entirely fair, Hughton's negative tactics often left us with Snodgrass as the only outlet on the pitch and the only player who could really travel with the ball.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm firmly in the LDC camp on this one. I've always believed Snodgrass was a negative influence overall in that team and we would probably have survived with a different, less selfish player in his position.

Tin hat on. Just my opinion.

EDIT: And I'm not basing that on the penalty incident, although I think it was symptomatic of everything that was wrong with Snodgrass, a player whose ego far surpassed his ability.

It was clear - to me at any rate - that the moment Grant Holt left, Snodgrass set himself up to take over as the main man at the club - and I was completely unsurprised he took that action over the penalty - it was totally in character. To then miss it just compounded the stupidity of it.  One of my least favourite players ever - and Leeds fans warned us what he could like before we bought him! 

A needy player, always had to think he was the main man, fine when his ego was massaged like under Warnock and Bruce. Allowed to get away with too much by Hughton, his stats dominated that second PL season, mainly because he often tried to do it all on his own. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It was clear - to me at any rate - that the moment Grant Holt left, Snodgrass set himself up to take over as the main man at the club - and I was completely unsurprised he took that action over the penalty - it was totally in character. To then miss it just compounded the stupidity of it.  One of my least favourite players ever - and Leeds fans warned us what he could like before we bought him! 

A needy player, always had to think he was the main man, fine when his ego was massaged like under Warnock and Bruce. Allowed to get away with too much by Hughton, his stats dominated that second PL season, mainly because he often tried to do it all on his own. 

I’m sure you’re overjoyed he’s announced his retirement then? 

As for doing it himself, he bailed us out of the **** many times but I doubt you’d acknowledge that at all would you? He wanted to drive the team forward under one of the most negative managers we have ever had!

Snodgrass was our best player that season and one of the only one's who'd show the required drive and commitment to get on the ball and make things happen. That everything went through him is indicative of Hughton's coaching, tactics, and the other players we had.

Had RvW taken that penalty he'd have had 2 goals all season instead of 1.

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Snodgrass was our best player that season and one of the only one's who'd show the required drive and commitment to get on the ball and make things happen. That everything went through him is indicative of Hughton's coaching, tactics, and the other players we had.

Had RvW taken that penalty he'd have had 2 goals all season instead of 1.

As for looking like the only one showing the required drive and commitment to get forwards - that is easy when you get the ball then a lot of the time don't let anyone else have it, trying to be a one man team at the expense of the team. I often used to what percentage of his stats were that season with regard to how many times a dribble ran into a dead end with no completed pass/cross or shot on target.  How many dribbles, how many dead ends from those dribbles......

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

As for looking like the only one showing the required drive and commitment to get forwards - that is easy when you get the ball then a lot of the time don't let anyone else have it, trying to be a one man team at the expense of the team. I often used to what percentage of his stats were that season with regard to how many times a dribble ran into a dead end with no completed pass/cross or shot on target.  How many dribbles, how many dead ends from those dribbles......

So to be clear, you never cheered when he scored as you despised him so much? You really are a plum aren’t you?

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I’m sure you’re overjoyed he’s announced his retirement then? 
As for doing it himself, he bailed us out of the **** many times but I doubt you’d acknowledge that at all would you? He wanted to drive the team forward under one of the most negative managers we have ever had!

Good luck to him - and no, I wouldn't acknowlewdge he bailed us out that second PL season - we were relegated. His driving forwards often consisted of hanging on to the ball, dribbling into dead ends, or falling over when he couldn't get through, which meant there were many occasions where our other players might as well not have been on the field. No wonder he looked dominating - he just kept the ball too much. Yes, he had talent, yes, he scored a few goals, but for me, he was frustrating to watch most of the time.

7 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So to be clear, you never cheered when he scored as you despised him so much? You really are a plum aren’t you?

Yes, I cheered when he scored. The goal he scored for us in the 1-0 against Spurs sticks in my mind (brought about by RVW's good play, by the way). His best play (imo) was when others had the ball and created chances for him - but when he got the ball, it was so often and so predictable that he would go on a dribble, run into trouble and surrender possession. 

Edited by lake district canary

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

If you don't let anyone else have it you don't generally get 6 premier league assists in a season. If the manager didn't want Snodgrass to always end up with the ball he should have coached that into the players. IF the players gave it to him anyway then it suggests they had more faith in Snoddy than the manager...

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

If you don't let anyone else have it you don't generally get 6 premier league assists in a season. If the manager didn't want Snodgrass to always end up with the ball he should have coached that into the players. IF the players gave it to him anyway then it suggests they had more faith in Snoddy than the manager...

He always reminded me of someone in our school team who once he had the ball on the wing, you knew what was coming and kind of switched off because it was so predictable - run with the ball, dribble too far, get an occasional goal, but most of the time nothing happening. Each of those times when nothing happened was an opportunity for someone else missed - an earlier pass to someone else to add a bit of variety to the attack, a bit more pass and move or whatever, hence the teamwork suffers as players know they are unlikely to get the ball once he has it. It wasn't always like that, he could look a good team player at times, I grant you, but it was most of the time. We all know the type if we've played football in a team, unless the player is inspired form, it's infuriating to play with

Compare that with Huckerby, who once he had the ball, it was exciting because the chances were something was going to happen. With Snodgrass it got to the point - quite quickly in that second season - of here we go again, slow it down, dribble too far, ignore other players who may be in a good position and fall over and wail because no free kick was given, possession to the other team.