Sign in to follow this  
JonnyJonnyRowe

Get Warnock

18 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Because a man doesn't want to retire doesn't mean he shouldn't. 

I can think of a couple of people at the club who should retire. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Which are you again? You regularly play the role of both.

That is for others to judge, if that is what they want to do. 

There is some merit in the idea for a short term boost mid season - much like when Adams lost his way and Alex Neil came in with an assertive approach which got us promoted. Warnock's claim to fame is getting players motivated and producing performances by the force of his personality and character - just what we need - and he would bring smiles and a bit of joy to the proceedings.  We have lost our way and are playing with fear and tension every week - Warnock would change that instantly.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That is for others to judge, if that is what they want to do. 

There is some merit in the idea for a short term boost mid season - much like when Adams lost his way and Alex Neil came in with an assertive approach which got us promoted. Warnock's claim to fame is getting players motivated and producing performances by the force of his personality and character - just what we need - and he would bring smiles and a bit of joy to the proceedings.  We have lost our way and are playing with fear and tension every week - Warnock would change that instantly.

This is what I feel that some people just don't get.

The longer this turgid negative crap goes on the more confidence is drained and sapped from our players, and the less likely those out of contract are to want to commit to staying at the club (of those that we could do with keeping, and that includes Angus Gunn who will be sold in the summer if he doesn't extend his deal). 

Then they are expecting somebody to come in and magically rebuild that confidence in 6 weeks of pre-season training, of which about 4 weeks will actually be spent kicking a ball, before the start of next season.

The players need some respite from the drudgery and the stewing toxicity at home games, and Warnock is the obvious person in the limited pool of people who would be happy with a short term appointment with the mission statement being to simply go back to basics and galvanise. 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Thanks 1

🧠🗣️ Neil Warnock: "You can have all the coaching manuals, all the university degrees, and all this, and all that. You modern guys, you youngsters, it's all data and all that.

But do you know 90-95% of being successful is man management... getting the best out of what you've got.

Whether you run a garage, a corner shop, or whatever: get the best out of your staff! That's why I've had so many successes.

Look at my promotions, we were never the best team, but you won't want to play against us.”

I posted this as you can't really disagree. Still wouldn't want him here however, it would just block the path and decision making of a younger head coach who will take us further. Just hope whoever is chosen pays serious heed to his words though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Warnock is primarily a motivator and lets players play to their best, whatever style it is.  The naysayers just don't like the idea because he isn't a bit more cultured......but cultured is not what is needed at the moment - we want the players to start playing like we know they can!

Sorry LDC , thought you might know who Nicky Clarke was. It was very much tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

Lots of negativity from posters, saying no just for the sake of it ! What - people jealous cos he's charismatic ?

His record speaks for itself ! I'd have him for that reason. 

• Like 1

Warnock has two qualities that Wagner doesn’t have - unwavering self-belief and clarity of thought  when it comes to team selection and tactics and, given our current situation, Warnock’s most important attribute is his unquestioned ability to motivate players, get the best out of them and get them playing for each other. I doubt he would be prepared to take over from Wagner for the remainder of the season but, if he is, I would send a car for him before you could say Gotterdammerung. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ZLF said:

Only if the new coach is likely to play a Colin type game

This. Even if Warnock was successful as other posters hope, and I think there are good reasons to question if that would be the case, it would mean switching the way the squad is coached dramatically, only to then switch again at the end of the season.

If Wagner does go before the end of the season, I would put money on his replacement being from within the club, Adams or Pelarch for example (I’m not suggesting either of these would necessarily do a good job, so don’t jump on me to say they wouldn’t). Plus there’s always the cost. 

Edit: oh, and NO! if that wasn’t already clear

Edited by Nuff Said

On 07/01/2024 at 00:15, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I've seen a few suggest that Knapper's chosen man might not be available until the summer, particularly if that's somebody from the Arsenal setup that isn't able or isn't willing to join while they are in a serious title challenge. That would make a lot of sense if true.

But if it is true, get Neil facking Warnock! 

He doesn't want a long term job, he admires us, likes Delia, and is perfect for steadying a ship and getting back to basics.

Guarantee this group will be easier for the next manager to work with after a Warnock reset.

Just no.

45 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If Wagner does go before the end of the season, I would put money on his replacement being from within the club, Adams or Pelarch for example

Oh christ.

Lets just keep Wagner then.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I posted this as you can't really disagree.

I mean, you can...

15 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Still wouldn't want him here however, it would just block the path and decision making of a younger head coach who will take us further.

Do agree with this, though. It would be a ridiculous, backwards move.

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

If you re-read my OP, the suggest was Neil Warnock on a short term deal until the summer, if the problem with replacing Wagner is that Knapper's man can't be had until the summer. The suggestion wasn't Warnock on a long term deal.

Warnock has said that he only wants a short term job.

1 hour ago, Vegueros said:

I doubt he would be prepared to take over from Wagner for the remainder of the season but, if he is, I would send a car for him before you could say Gotterdammerung. 

He has stated that he only wants short term jobs.

Asked if he would consider a return to management again if an opportunity came up towards the end of next season, Warnock said: “That will do me – I don’t mind the end of February, March and April, (but) I can’t work any longer than that.”

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

If you re-read my OP, the suggest was Neil Warnock on a short term deal until the summer, if the problem with replacing Wagner is that Knapper's man can't be had until the summer. The suggestion wasn't Warnock on a long term deal.

Warnock has said that he only wants a short term job.

Yeah, I did get that.  Still a backwards step in my view. Knapper's the sort of modern data guy that Warnock is mocking in Sheff's quote. Just think he's the wrong guy for us, temporary or not. Just my opinion,  of course, and I've come to like old Colin over the years. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yeah, I did get that.  Still a backwards step in my view. Knapper's the sort of modern data guy that Warnock is mocking in Sheff's quote. Just think he's the wrong guy for us, temporary or not. Just my opinion,  of course, and I've come to like old Colin over the years. 

He'd probably not be up for this project anyway. We're not looking at risk of going down, or to have a chance of going up.

Bet he'd prefer another few months at Huddersfield or QPR, or trying his Houdini act on Blackburn if they lose another few and get dragged into the mix, for the plaudits.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

And the biggest problem is Warnock asks for a minimum fee regardless of results and that stretches nowadays to £1m plus, no matter the length of the assignment. I heard that first hand from Rotherham's owner, it is why he won't ever work for them again, they can't afford that layout. Not sure Smith & Jones would sanction such a contract.

I suspect as well that is why 'Uddersfield let him go, not that he wasn't doing a good job, but he was probably demanding too much to stay on.

Edited by shefcanary

I don't want him but in theory he's everything the passing-around-the-back-barclay-boo'ers deserve, so give him a 3 year contract.

Although, they'll soon deny....

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't want him but in theory he's everything the passing-around-the-back-barclay-boo'ers deserve, so give him a 3 year contract.

Warnock's 4-4-2 would would look sophisticated in comparison to the dross we've seen from Wagner in recent week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Warnock's 4-4-2 would would look sophisticated in comparison to the dross we've seen from Wagner in recent week.

It'd look about as good as it did when we played Huddersfield away at the start of the season and we won 4-0. They played 4-2-3-1 that day, mind.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It'd look about as good as it did when we played Huddersfield away at the start of the season and we won 4-0. They played 4-2-3-1 that day, mind.

The 37.5% win rate that Warnock achieved at Huddersfield in his 24 games there was better than the shocking 29.1% win rate achieved by Wagner over the same period. Now compare playing budgets.

30 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

And the biggest problem is Warnock asks for a minimum fee regardless of results and that stretches nowadays to £1m plus

On that money I can't believe he still hasn't had hair implants.

Still looks like a bald man standing right in front of another man with hair.

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

The 37.5% win rate that Warnock achieved at Huddersfield in his 24 games there was better than the shocking 29.1% win rate achieved by Wagner over the same period. Now compare playing budgets.

I don't doubt he can generate results but when Wagner has generated results on its own, that's not been good enough for fans. Warnock plays worse football and much more direct. Like I say, it might suit some simpletons booing the passing around the back 8 minutes into a match, but they'll soon change tune and deny.

Warlock. Not in a million years would I want Colin at our club. We've tried old salts'Smith and Wagner and it hasn't worked. Bring someone in with the same philosophy as Knapper and give him time to implement it with our younger players. We would all be up for that and although it would be rocky sometimes  it sure as he'll will be more enjoyable than watching the dross we are being served with now

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't doubt he can generate results but when Wagner has generated results on its own, that's not been good enough for fans.

Which he hasn't done consistently since the end of his honeymoon period last March.

He's had 46 games now, equating to a full Championship season, 61 points in those 46 games which would put us bottom half in each of the last 5 years of Champs tables.

Now when you consider that 6 of his 17 wins came in his first 10 games (the honeymoon period), look at his last 36 and its utterly dreadful.

11 in 36... 30.5%. 

His record over 36 games of 30.5% (yes, arbitrary, can pick any number) which puts him on par with Roeder's 30.8%, only marginally better than Gunn's 28.6%, he's a failing manager and I don't think you quite appreciate the gravity of the situation or the extent of his failings.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't doubt he can generate results but when Wagner has generated results on its own, that's not been good enough for fans. Warnock plays worse football and much more direct. Like I say, it might suit some simpletons booing the passing around the back 8 minutes into a match, but they'll soon change tune and deny.

I don’t want Warnock, but I’m sure he could do a job for the half season. 
The passing round the back only works when you have defenders capable of it. We’ve gone from Zimmerman to Batth, I can see why people boo the tactic, as the players are giving away the ball far too often for it to work.

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I can see why people boo the tactic, as the players are giving away the ball far too often for it to work.

Or standing on the ball too long looking for the pass which completely kills any momentum we may be building.

It’s the lack of ability to pick a pass that’s doing that. Would also say the fact that everyone is back and not moving into space.

7 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Or standing on the ball too long looking for the pass which completely kills any momentum we may be building.

Standing on the ball is intentional and exactly what a lot of top teams do to invite the press. Leeds and Leicester this season do it a lot.