dylanisabaddog

2 points off playoffs?

A huge if, but if we win today it's 2 points off the playoffs. 

Bearing in mind we've had so many injuries and played badly several times that is extraordinary. Perhaps I should feel slightly ashamed for voting for Wagner to be sacked? 

• Like 1

Still think Wagner makes some very strange and questionable choices from time to time like Sara is still being wasted as a defensive midfield type when he's clearly much better off further forward in a more Stiepermann style role as well as Mclean being our newest centreback although this one has seemingly worked so I guess I should just shut my mouth.. Nvermind his substitutions often being nonsensical and only seem to unbalance us and make us weaker and I do worry that Wagner is rather lucky that we have been saved by individual brillance from certain players (God knows where we be without Rowe..) and yet.. We have a good unbeaten record and streak right now. Guess I can't complain too much?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still think Wagner makes some very strange and questionable choices from time to time like Sara is still being wasted as a defensive midfield type when he's clearly much better off further forward in a more Stiepermann style role as well as Mclean being our newest centreback although this one has seemingly worked so I guess I should just shut my mouth.. Nvermind his substitutions often being nonsensical and only seem to unbalance us and make us weaker and I do worry that Wagner is rather lucky that we have been saved by individual brillance from certain players (God knows where we be without Rowe..) and yet.. We have a good unbeaten record and streak right now. Guess I can't complain too much?

Awkward isn't it? 😂

• Haha 1

...presumably the club have acknowledged the gaping hole they left themselves by not having a defensive midfielder to protect the back 4 which has contributed to our poor defensive record and have lined one up ready to walk through the door when the transfer window opens in just over a week's time on Jan 1st ??

...no,  I'm not holding my breath either

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At 36 points after 23 games, that points towards the last place requiring 72 points.

Our recent run has brought us 2 points per game. Continue this and we would finish on 82 points.

That run has put us on the staring grid so to speak, but the there is only so much luck you can have and we wait to see if the recent 14 point haul was down to good, consistent play or just us getting the rub of the green.

So it's up to the players to show it is the former, and maybe fans to get behind those players. A playoff place is now a possibility, something way beyond our dreams a couple of months back.

Time for all good Canaries to dream 😋

• Like 3

I personally think Wagner's here until May, so we'll just have to go with it....and see where we are at end of the season?.....

3 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

How many points for the automatics this season? 😇

Looking likely to be a record high of around 100 points assuming the form of the top 2 continues. But we have no chance. 2.5 points a game would only give us 91 and that's the equivalent of a 115 point season. 

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A huge if, but if we win today it's 2 points off the playoffs. 

Bearing in mind we've had so many injuries and played badly several times that is extraordinary. Perhaps I should feel slightly ashamed for voting for Wagner to be sacked? 

Football fans are fickle creatures Dylan.

No patience, quick to create overrated heroes or scapegoats largely undeserved and all from a  perspective of infallibility and assuming that they themselves have the unique skills to of been (successful) football managers if only they could of been asked!

We all live our fantasies!

I think we'll make the playoffs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Do we, really ?

A belief that a club two points off the playoffs has a chance of being in the playoffs come May is a fantasy ?

How odd.

11 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Football fans are fickle creatures Dylan.

No patience, quick to create overrated heroes or scapegoats largely undeserved and all from a  perspective of infallibility and assuming that they themselves have the unique skills to of been (successful) football managers if only they could of been asked!

Speak for yourself, some of us are infallible. And my £20 bet in the summer on the automatics proves it 😀

• Haha 2

Squad needs strengthening though. The subs look questionable only because of the quality (lack of it) coming on.

Just a shame Wagner had that blindspot before Knapper joined as even with injuries we can be competitive.

I'm not convinced, but would love to be wrong, and I don't really care who the manager is.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Trouble is people tend not to try and understand why he picks the team he does, if it's not exactly the eleven they demand then they sound off and almost hope we lose to be proved right. I expect if we were able to have a pint with Wagner down the pub and ask him about his tactics we'd all be a bit more understanding and not think his choices 'strange' or that we've been lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Squad needs strengthening though. The subs look questionable only because of the quality (lack of it) coming on.

Just a shame Wagner had that blindspot before Knapper joined as even with injuries we can be competitive.

I'm not convinced, but would love to be wrong, and I don't really care who the manager is.

More a case of good back up. With the form over the past seven games and the return of Hanley, Sargeant and Hwang we look well able to continue our current form. But as you say, the quality of those coming off the bench. Springett, Plachetta, Batth, Forshaw, Gibbs, Fisher are all good Chs players, but lose a couple to injury and we are back to a mid table team

Lose Gunn and Long is at times a liability. Injuries will play a big part in the 2nd half of the season and how things turn out.

• Like 1

OP says we have played badly in several games, does that mean we have played well in the others.  Can't recall what games we have played well in, only sporadically have we been anything approaching satisfactory.  Overall we have been poor due to personel or tactical issues.  If we had been playing well this season Wagner would not have been in line for dismissal.

9 hours ago, RobJames said:

At 36 points after 23 games, that points towards the last place requiring 72 points.

Our recent run has brought us 2 points per game. Continue this and we would finish on 82 points.

That run has put us on the staring grid so to speak, but the there is only so much luck you can have and we wait to see if the recent 14 point haul was down to good, consistent play or just us getting the rub of the green.

So it's up to the players to show it is the former, and maybe fans to get behind those players. A playoff place is now a possibility, something way beyond our dreams a couple of months back.

Time for all good Canaries to dream 😋

What a great day. Sunderland, West Brom followed defeats last night for Hull and Preston. Only Watford's last minute goal went against us. Meanwhile the bin lorry hit a brick wall while the other 3 in the top four won.

A fair few positives from today. McCallum, Saintz, Onel and Idah. Being one of the latters biggest critics I will say the idea of playing him wide has been a revelation. Gibson back adds to the numbers. Yes it was Rotherham, however there were plenty on here predicting a stumble from us todays.

However, a note of caution. Were we to have 7 points less we would be 10 places lower.............whereas 7 points more, and we would be only.......3 places higher. The long slog has begun. There are no targets to aim for, just to keep picking up points. Something that will be tested to the max with S'oton, Hull and Leeds up coming and a double header against WBA. We'll do well to keep close to a play off place after those games, but with Hanley and Sargeant on their way back and others coming good, it's not the unlikely thought it was in October.

In the wise words of Buddy Holly

• Like 1