Sign in to follow this  
leicestershire canary

Scandalous Claims

My scouse mate just forwarded me this link from the Everton website.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/index.php?page_id=3309

I can''t believe that a respected club like Everton are refusing to back down over this.

I wasn''t at the game, but I find it hard to believe that our fans were making these chants.

I think Delia''s comments last night sum it up...

From one of the articles on this site..

And more applause followed during the meeting when Delia said she would sit with the fans when the club played away at Everton as there was still anger at the Merseyside''s club''s failure to apologise over its false allegations that City fans had made racist chants during an FA Cup game.

"It''s a done deal," she said. "I would be very happy to do that. But I do think when people have behaved in the way that Everton Football Club have we have got to drop it and move on.

"Michael and I have always said that Everton is a manager''s graveyard," she added. "I just think they are a sad football club."

I''ve just posted a thread on the site, to see what genuine Toffees think of this bulls**t.
Please visit it and support us by adding to the thread.

We all know what happened there, and most of my non-City supporting mates know what really happened......let''s put it this way, Everton don''t exactly have the best reputation in this area, and it''s well known by fans of other clubs......

Whatever damage was done at the time by the claims has been completely surpassed by our achievements on the pitch and the work behind the scenes this season. Time to put this one to bed until we give them a sound thrashing twice next season........

Seriously, get on the Blue Room on the official everton website, my thread is kicking off. I''m Jonzey 123 on there.

Do Tony Cottee or Mike Walker have an opinion they can offer on this? Their time on the wrong side of Mersyside could provide valuable evidence either way. Lets just remember that Liverpool is the European Capital of Culture (someone is surely having a laugh) and that they therefore must be highly tolerable of multi-racial society. I''m sure Luis Boa Morte has many fine words of comlement for the Everton faithful.

Anyway don''t Everton owe us one after stealing are manager and witnessing the Golden Goss score the last goal infront of the old Kop?

If it is laughable that Liverpool is to be the capital of culture pray tell us what Norwich has to offer instead {The Vacuum of Culture perhaps}.
As for stealing your manager, I personally will never forgive Norwich for offloading that waster onto us. I''ll give you Goss''s goal against Liverpool though.

With regards to the ''Scandalous claims'' I wasn''t present at the game [work commitments] and yes I will agree we do have our share of racists. But if you read the full content of the FA''s decision it does state that the complaints came from four different areas of the ground which negated the possibility of collusion between the complainants. Nobody at Everton is saying all Norwich fans are racists but only a deluded fool would believe that their club didn''t have any at all. It is, unfortunately, a disease of society, and the racists have chosen football as their preferred ''vehicle''.

With regards to the capital of culture thing I hardly think the country needed Cilla Black or a giant floating weather map to aid its standing in Europe. Oh sorry I forgot about Mersybeat! Now how could that be non-cultural!

Norwich is the new home of Darren Huckerby. Now there''s a couple of cultured feet if i ever I saw them.

Re Huckerby, we''ve already had a bellyful of him and his whinging diving antics at Goodison to last us a life time. On a more serious note I for one wish Norwich all the best in the Premiership. You are a footballing team and should be applauded for your efforts. Hopefully you can win the championship ahead of Albion who were probably the most unattractive side in terms of football to visit Goodison last season. I hope you learn the lessons of the other 1st division teams who have come up and struggled. Your first season will be one of consolodation. Your home form will be all important. Drop too many points there and you will be straight back down. You will need to strengthen your squad as well.

On the ''Scandalous claims'' issue again, old Delia really should concentrate on talking her own club up instead of making disparaging remarks about others. Comments like ''Me and Michael were talking'' are really gonna get up peoples noses and make it one hell of a difficult season for you. Shades of a Michael Knighton emerging methinks.

This " whinging and diving " Cadet ............ if you were hacked and pulled down as often as Huckerby you would be doing a lot of whinging and diving yourself !! .....its called survival .........

I have to agree that Walker went to Everton of his own accord, under the mistaken impression that the success he had in the seventeen months at Norwich was solely down to him. Without a Dave Stringer/Ken Brown to hand him an excellent team on a plate at Everton he was soon found out.
Last heard of applying, without acceptance, for the vacant job at Swansea.

Thanks for your views ''thecadet'' but believe me you cannot compare Delia with Michael Knighton, it would be a bit like comparing a well run Premiership club such as Arsenal/Man U/Liverpool/Charlton etc with the likes of Everton.
Enter the real world cadet you aren''t a supporter of big club, an important club or even a good club.
The reality is Norwich will probably be fighting relegation next season, everyone pretty much accepts that fact but what keeps our hopes alive is the knowledge that self inflated clubs like Everton/Spurs/Man city etc will be our opponents in the fight for survival!

You think thats mad read this....

http://www.efc-online.net/main.php?id=1612&date=2004-04-23

can you belive this guy?

I''m afraid that Everton are just making themselves look more and more ridiculous over this one, helped by that bunch of clowns at the FA.

I''ve read what they said about it on their website and they say "that the allegation was made by four people independently in different parts of the ground" and that "they never accused us of mass racist chanting but that they were convinced a handful of Norwich fans did make racist chants".

If it was only a "handful" of Norwich fans in amongst a crowd of about 30,000 how on earth could it have been heard in other parts of the ground?

I''m sure that those at Everton FC who made the allegation genuinely thought they heard the word "black". However its now been proved that this wasn''t the case. When you are clearly in the wrong you should have the grace to hold up your hands and apologise. The fact that Everton aren''t prepared to do this tells us an awful lot about their football club.

I''m getting very bored of all this mud slinging. But Delia Smith has every right to express her disappointment at the way both Everton and the FA have backed away from dealing with this matter properly. For her to be labelled as a "demented middle-aged woman" by the official Everton website is pathetic.

Similarly, for the Everton Head of PR to say that the FA report confirmed their viewpoint that it was a small percentage of city fans using racist language implies that up to several hundred city fans are guilty, when nothing like this has been proven.

Personally I''m not comfortable with the argument that it''s perfectly ok to chant "you f*t b*****d" either. No it''s not the same thing, but it''s still an abusive term. Sexist and homophobic chants are also still commonplace at the football grounds so some fans still have a lot of growing up to do.

As a youngster I once heard racist language used by a city fan at Carrow Rd and he was dealt with appropriately. I know some of these attitudes will still exist in some people even if they aren''t often expressed any more, as the Ron Atkinson story has shown this week.

It''s a shame that some of this mud has stuck at a time when everything is looking rosey. But good on you Delia for standing up for Norwich supporters. I wish those who do harbour racist attitudes would grow up and leave our football clubs alone.

The F.A. have backed Everton up over this. I was at the match, and happened to be in the Park End beside the Norwich fans where the chanting was taking place, and I was 90% sure it was directed at Yobo. Now i''m not so sure because of the fuss that''s been kicked up about it all, though i''m annoyed about the way that Delia has been mouthing off this week. She was saying that she won''t be taking a directors box at Goodison. I bet she''s heard how bad the facilities are.

I have a few points.

- Was it any better screaming abuse at an 18 year old like Norwich have claimed?

- The F.A. have said that they had got the reports from good sources. Does that not mean that the F.A. should be apologising?

- Delia made a few comments about Everton the other day saying that it was a managers graveyard, forgetting that Norwich have used more managers that us over the last 10 or so years. She was quoted as saying :

"I think that when a football club behaves in the way Everton did, you have got to move on. They are not going to move on. It is a symptom of the sadness of that club. It is a sign that things are not going right"

We''ve already moved on. It seems that Delia has not.

...and the stuff about things not going well for Davie Moyes etc. Moyes will keep his job, and we all know what he can do given a bit of money (and if the rumours are true, he''ll be given some)

He doesn''t really seem to have a knowledge of football, does she?

I''ve always liked Jamie Oliver more anyway ;)

Mike Walker was a plastic manager. A terrible excuse if ever there was one.

As for Tony Cottee being in the "wrong side of Liverpool" - our rivals are the most successful team in British football, who do you compete with?

As for asking louis Boa Morte about Everton (he never accused the fans of anything) ask Joey Yobo about Ferguson, or better still, Daniel Amokachi - who asked Ferguson to fly 3,000 miles to be his best man when Amo got married. Hardly the actions of a racist, eh?

And before I go -

"Earlier this year, after the Everton game, Norwich City supporters were praised for helping police catch a fellow supporter who shouted racist abuse during a match.

Officers pounced on Gavin Barker after supporters around him in the Barclay Stand reported the 23-year-old for shouting "you''re just a town full of Pakis" at visiting Bradford City fans"

So there are no racists at Norwich?

this story even made the news part of the telegraph yesterday,all about delia refusing to go to the everton''s directors box next season,so it is nice that it hasnt been taken lightly by the press

I was at the Everton game, and as stated here before, heard some people chanting "rather be a pa*i than a scouse. I think the article on the Everton site is reasonably fair, ALL clubs have some idiots at them, we''re no different and to make out we are is naive and counterproductive. I sat at the Burnley game near a guy who spent the entire match screaming homophobic rubbish and I''ve seen him before coming out with the same, is that so different? There were a group of blokes near us coming out with anti Italian comments aimed at Ravanelli at derby last season. There are far worse clubs and i''ve been going for 30 years and can recall only a couple of racist chants, but it does go on. We''d be better off accepting that and dealing with it rather than sticking our heads in the sand and raking it over and over in the national press. I''m saying this not to tarnish city''s good name but because we''ve a reputation (and rightly so) for having a great set of fans (just ask the shocked birmingham supporters after the playoff final) and I want that reputation to continue.

Spat I agree with you and also think ite time to move on. If we keep debating this we will end up sounding like wingeing kids and we have something to celebrate after all!!!!

[quote]Just put £50 on Everton to go down next season. Money in the bank.[/quote]

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Did you make that bet?