Dean Coneys boots

Why is Wagner still here?

Just now, Danke bitte said:

You’re on fire today. What have you been drinking - peppermint, lemon ginger, 3 gingers?! 

I went for echinacea and elderberry this morning. Seems to have sorted me out. 

• Thanks 1

Really depends on your outlook.

I've certainly simmered, simply because of a changing perspective on our situation. I think the notion that we need to jettison Wagner ASAP comes from a desire to chase after the playoffs and try to make something of our season.

I no longer really follow that idea. I think its clear that the club has taken some wrong turns, the squad is wonky & misfiring and there's a lot of work to be done to steer the ship in a better direction. That isn't going to be solved by clawing after the playoffs at the expense of anything else. IMO we are at the very first steps of a total rebuild, and as a result, I've next to no concern about the promotion this season.

The most important thing is to steady the ship and come up with a relatable plan to make our way back. Short-term, if he can be convinced to find a system that can be more generally effective- rather than the unplayable/unforgiveable with no middle ground stuff we've had so far- Wagner might not be the worst option.

(Disclaimer- given that he's tried pretty much everything now aside from changing the Sara/ Kenny papier-mache double pivot, I still think he won't turn this around. But you just never know)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

We could win the next six games in a row and I would remain unconvinced that he is good enough or suitable enough for a team aspiring to the upper reaches of the Championship and more. Far too many flaws. Strange line-ups, strange substitutions and insufficient tactical awareness can be listed amongst his failings.

His pedigree as a manager (one season at Huddersfield apart) should have set alarm bells ringing when the team went on that awful end of season run last time around. This time it has hardly improved.

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to want rid of Wagner but referencing his only pedigree as a single season at Huddersfield is a bit harsh!

At the very least he had the first season getting them promoted with little spend (admittedly Webber can take a chunk of credit for that too) but he had a second season keeping them in the Premier League too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S_81 said:

Because Cardiff was enough of an excuse, for those who were unlikely to dismiss him at this point anyhow, to not dismiss him. Penny pinchers - who are setting us up for a dismal season and a loss to the scum next month. 

I guess if making things completely up is on the cards as above then I'll say its because Knapper is a super fan and wants Wagner to sign a 5 year contract in the next couple weeks, and Attanassio wants to take them both over to America for a weeks holiday during the International break.

13 hours ago, hogesar said:

I guess if making things completely up is on the cards as above then I'll say its because Knapper is a super fan and wants Wagner to sign a 5 year contract in the next couple weeks, and Attanassio wants to take them both over to America for a weeks holiday during the International break.

What’s your excuse for not sacking Wagner then? You’re a classic example of someone who has overlooked his obvious inability and fought his corner. So let’s hear your latest nonsense. 

i think we are wasting time if we do not get rid of Wagner in the Break ,

he might well go next couple  unbeaten but these long winless runs are becoming a habit of Wagner's last few jobs ,

we saw it last season ,this season and in German he goes on winless runs ,

3 hours ago, S_81 said:

What’s your excuse for not sacking Wagner then? You’re a classic example of someone who has overlooked his obvious inability and fought his corner. So let’s hear your latest nonsense. 

In terms of making things up you're really taking the sh*t biscuit and eating it, aren't you?

I've far from overlooked his weaknesses, I've posted about them pretty regularly. I also would have sacked Wagner before now, but understood the concept of a new SD coming in and him wanting to make the decision for himself etc. It's all in the posting history.

22 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes, far better when things are going badly to let someone know that they are utter crap and letting everyone down. Always works wonders.

Only if you believe it is wholly his fault, if you think it is down to specific injuries (Sargent) / he did not have the squad to cope with that injury, or the philosophy of the football we play leaves huge gapping holes which is the weakness in the strategy your director of football endorsed that isn’t the coaches fault, you would be a pretty poor boss to rip into him.  You may need them to leave to remedy the situation but no one performs better with an **** as a boss screaming at them.  Equally if the philosophy and squad are fine, and he can’t coach the team / squad to perform that does need a direct conversation and probably a parting of ways.

Well if people were hoping Knapper would turn up with a new Head Coach in tow and immediately dismiss Wagner then I think you can now feel a bit disappointed.

That scenario has gone by the looks of it. 

22 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I've seen no real sign of our CB's trying to launch the ball into row Z when the opposition start counter attacking!

It's really hard to launch the ball into Row z when you are running backwards

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

In terms of making things up you're really taking the sh*t biscuit and eating it, aren't you?

I've far from overlooked his weaknesses, I've posted about them pretty regularly. I also would have sacked Wagner before now, but understood the concept of a new SD coming in and him wanting to make the decision for himself etc. It's all in the posting history.

You’re as late to the party as it gets. Those amongst us who don’t just suck the ar5e off the club and those involved could see he deserved the boot this summer. And you were there doing your utmost to shout down anyone raising such a point. Now here you are retrofitting. We see through you 

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

You’re as late to the party as it gets. Those amongst us who don’t just suck the ar5e off the club and those involved could see he deserved the boot this summer. And you were there doing your utmost to shout down anyone raising such a point. Now here you are retrofitting. We see through you 

You'd have an angle if you weren't so noticeably quiet with the odd begrudging credit for the summer window (minus Mumba who has 2 goals and 2 assists in all appearances this season) - whilst we started the season so strongly. 

Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean we "suck the ar5e off the club".

Again, you thought Mumba was a better player than Rowe. Thank god the club doesn't listen to you. 

In terms of being late to the party, you done a fantastic job of telling everyone how terrible the summer window was going to be under Webber, only to then give all our new signings plenty of credit at the start in one of your rare early-season posts, only to now criticise them again.

That's the problem for people like you that enjoy making things up. It's all in the posting history, as I said.

Just now, hogesar said:

You'd have an angle if you weren't so noticeably quiet with the odd begrudging credit for the summer window (minus Mumba who has 2 goals and 2 assists in all appearances this season) - whilst we started the season so strongly. 

Just because someone has a different opinion to you doesn't mean we "suck the ar5e off the club".

Again, you thought Mumba was a better player than Rowe. Thank god the club doesn't listen to you. 

In terms of being late to the party, you done a fantastic job of telling everyone how terrible the summer window was going to be under Webber, only to then give all our new signings plenty of credit at the start in one of your rare early-season posts, only to now criticise them again.

That's the problem for people like you that enjoy making things up. It's all in the posting history, as I said.

No, I didn’t say Mumba was a better player than Rowe. I said he was better than most of our left back and left wing options. And indeed I still believe he is. It was a poor sale especially at the price. 
Rowe doesnt have to be played left side. And even if he does - he will get injuries and dips in form. 

With regards the start to the season - I credited Webber with the signing of Barnes. I was indifferent about Duffy - albeit felt he’d be better than Gibson. But I was very clear that I felt we had had an easy start, while others found their feet. I was none the less pleasantly surprised and hoped Wagner would prove me wrong. 

But he hasn’t. He’s tactically inept. He should be gone by now. He’s still here due to the incompetence of our owners re our personnel situation - and now they’ve gone offering reassurance over the phone - just before someone who should have total independence puts his feet under the desk. 

Im wrong about many things in life but I’m not wrong that Wagner should have been and should be sacked. Nor am I wrong that you go out of your way to defend certain characters at this club and those who question them. That’s your right and your prerogative, but it’s noticeable - even if you think it’s not