cambridgeshire canary

George Long, the keeper that Millwall fans hated

1 minute ago, 7HAR1980 said:

What does anyone expect when Long has a shower of sh it playing in front of him? 

Yeah, don't think Long did much wrong yesterday.

Bit harsh. I didn't think he did anything particularly wrong yesterday, nor from what I have seen since he joined. 

We're lucky to have had a long line of really good goalkeepers at the club. Long strikes me as bang average, rather than "league one standard" and is a victim of comparison to our usually high standards.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

I expect a decent keeper to stand up at his near post for the 1st goal but was no better or worse than most of that pitiful excuse for a starting 11 (Fisher excluded). He clearly wasn't good enough as a replacement but all hail Webber.. another masterstroke.

He's not been at fault for anything but equally doesn't make many saves. Although I don't rate Gunn particularly...

All a bit meh, rather than a massive problem.

Our best keeper from last season is now warming the Luton bench. Gunn is younger yes, but still a downgrade on Tim. 

Long isn’t a *bad* keeper at all - I don’t think even the first goal yesterday (a cracking finish, to be fair) could be attributed as an ‘keeper error’ - but he does fit the mould of padding out the squad on the cheap. You get what you do - and don’t - pay for more often than not. 

6 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Wouldn't have been any better off with the ridiculously overrated Gunn between the sticks. 

Gunn is a decent bloke, done well for Scotland but I do agree he's always been a little overrated and tends to live off of his dads name. I mean, what comes to mind when you hear of Gunn? For me it's.. well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_F.C._0–9_Leicester_City_F.C.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

He doesn't seem to be much cop. Another unnecessary signing as I see it. I thought Reyes was supposed to be an outstanding prospect, and we also have a decent stable of youngsters.

Hardly a signing that represents the need for frugality, especially taking into his reputation at Millwall.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Gunn is a decent bloke, done well for England but I do agree he's always been a little overrated and tends to live off of his dads name. I mean, what comes to mind when you hear of Gunn? For me it's.. well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_F.C._0–9_Leicester_City_F.C.

In case it’s passed you by Gunn plays for Scotland.

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

In case it’s passed you by Gunn plays for Scotland.

I meant to say "Done well for Scotland despite being English" as a joke but ****ed it up. I'll drink some coffee..

He seems ok as a back-up keeper but nothing more. Still hard to judge when he's facing 20 odd shots per game.

A quick glance on wiki and I can see he's played over 250 games which for a 30-year-old isn't too bad, but these have been predominantly at league one level which may be telling.

• Like 1

You could have any one of the great football keepers in history in goal for us at the moment, if they’re facing 20+ shots a game and a defence that disappears like a puff of smoke in a breeze they’d be conceding at a similar rate.

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

You could have any one of the great football keepers in history in goal for us at the moment, if they’re facing 20+ shots a game and a defence that disappears like a puff of smoke in a breeze they’d be conceding at a similar rate.

Yep, he was left exposed yesterday for sure, we could have had two keepers in goal and would still concede!

Find that to be a really strange take from JR, Neuer could be in goal for us but if you consistently allow decent Championship attackers time and space from 8 yards out unchallenged we would concede all the same.

In fact it could be argued that Long is one of the least culpable players in the squad for the Goals Against column. But, I suppose Gibson got injured so it had to be someone weighing the rest down.