Sign in to follow this  
Terminally Yellow

I've said it before and will continue to say it.

I like Wagner. As a person, he seems a nice guy, passionate and cares about the club he is working for. To that end, he has my admiration which is more than I can say of the likes of Dean Smith, Glenn Roeder and (to a lesser extent) Chris Hughton, who I just didn't form that fondness for. This is what I have always said about Wagner. 

But as a head coach of this side, Wagner has shown he is a spent force still riding the coat tails of his time in charge of Huddersfield. His attempts to impose this same defunct style which brought him so much joy at Huddersfield, but has absolutely been found out by almost everyone, is so frustrating as a fan of the club. 

For a start - the key position in this formation which is the defensive midfielder, is still being occupied by a player who has shown time and time again that he's not consistent enough in this role. 

I genuinely believe we have the basis of a team here that could be in the running for the play offs. I am no longer of the view we have a coaching team capable of unlocking that ability to achieve it. 

Logic would suggest Knapper will use this season to come to his own views about what needs to be done - but I would be astonished if Wagner is still our head coach come the start of next season. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 4

Wagner does seem out of his depth- and bar a good season at Huddersfield hasn’t done much. Great interpersonal skills, seems a lovely chap- but tactically very questionable. I think most prior managers would have us looking less frail when the pressure is on 

This is pretty much my view, TY.

I like Wagner and think that he is a good man but as a Head Coach he  is  struggling.

10 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I like Wagner. As a person, he seems a nice guy, passionate and cares about the club he is working for. To that end, he has my admiration which is more than I can say of the likes of Dean Smith, Glenn Roeder and (to a lesser extent) Chris Hughton, who I just didn't form that fondness for. This is what I have always said about Wagner. 

But as a head coach of this side, Wagner has shown he is a spent force still riding the coat tails of his time in charge of Huddersfield. His attempts to impose this same defunct style which brought him so much joy at Huddersfield, but has absolutely been found out by almost everyone, is so frustrating as a fan of the club. 

For a start - the key position in this formation which is the defensive midfielder, is still being occupied by a player who has shown time and time again that he's not consistent enough in this role. 

I genuinely believe we have the basis of a team here that could be in the running for the play offs. I am no longer of the view we have a coaching team capable of unlocking that ability to achieve it. 

Logic would suggest Knapper will use this season to come to his own views about what needs to be done - but I would be astonished if Wagner is still our head coach come the start of next season. 

I’ll be astonished if he hasn’t got us down near the relegation zone if he’s allowed to Stay until the end of the season 

We look well coached in possession ,at times impressively today

However thats only one side of the game

The glaring neglect of the other side if the game will be his downfall

..third most conceded goals in the league

The winner today was everything that was wrong, so predictable we would lose to a counter attack goal, we simply cannot defend against pace, an obvious major weakness that we have adopted an ostrich approach to

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..third most conceded goals in the league

It's worse than you think GJL - we are actually the joint worst for conceded goals in the league - and two of the other joint teams are in the relegation zone...

OTBC

21 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

In all honesty I'd be surprised if he's here come Christmas. Not because I think he's going to drag us into a relegation battle but because Knapper will want his own guy and he'll want to give that coach a chance to start laying foundations and assessing this squad before the season is over. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Wagner does seem out of his depth- and bar a good season at Huddersfield hasn’t done much. Great interpersonal skills, seems a lovely chap- but tactically very questionable. I think most prior managers would have us looking less frail when the pressure is on 

He's a nice fella. Which suits nice Norwich. Probably shook Farkes hand and said well done!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

In all honesty I'd be surprised if he's here come Christmas. Not because I think he's going to drag us into a relegation battle but because Knapper will want his own guy and he'll want to give that coach a chance to start laying foundations and assessing this squad before the season is over. 

I highly doubt that. They aren’t bringing in the new guy to rock the apple cart. He’s a rookie who’s got no experience of the job he’ll be doing. I’ll give the whole forum a beer if he sacks Wagner before the season is over. 

3 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

He's a nice fella. Which suits nice Norwich. Probably shook Farkes hand and said well done!!

Why not? Farke’s boys were better than us today. Being nasty doesn’t change that. It’s nothing to do with being mean tough and ruthless, we’re an average team and you’d better just accept that for now. 

13 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

I should hope so. Football is a sport and you should be magnanimous in both defeat and victory. 

18 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

This is simply false, Wagner like Klopp does not play a defensive midfielder player in the traditional sense. We are supposed to press high and turn the ball over that way. Hence why there is no defensive midfielder in the team. 

Edited by Ulfotto

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

This is simply false, Wagner like Klopp does not play a defensive midfielder player in the traditional sense. We are supposed to press high and turn the ball over that way. Hence why there is no defensive midfielder in the team. 

Klopp had Fabinho playing defensive midfield for years. It was one of the key signings that won them the league. Even when he left this summer Liverpool signed a 30 year old from the Bundesliga who's pretty much a warm body, but he's at least a defensive midfielder.