Midlands Yellow

Palaces And Stately Homes

Does anyone else enjoy visiting them? Stopped at Stamford a few years ago for a couple of nights to visit Burghley House. What a gorgeous building to view and town to spend time in. Finally went to Hampton Court last month and that blew me away.

If you have a love for history these places only accentuate the interest to learn more  once you visit them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live near Hatfield House which is a beautiful place with an enormous park. It has a good range of concerts or just go round for a walk.

Oxburgh Hall in Norfolk is another good one. Loads of history and a good pub next door.

27 minutes ago, Nik Vawn said:

Been to Wimpole Hall today, can’t be too far away from you

Not a million miles away from me. Looks rather splendid and touched by the hands of Capability Brown and John Soane. May have to visit.

Extraordinary buildings but they make me slightly uncomfortable because of how the original construction was funded. Blickling Hall was built from profits of the slave trade and I assume that also applies to many of the others. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Extraordinary buildings but they make me slightly uncomfortable because of how the original construction was funded. Blickling Hall was built from profits of the slave trade and I assume that also applies to many of the others. 

Bristol Museum has a good explanation at the entrance telling you of where the funds came from, who the Wills family were and not sugar coating the history. I suppose it is the best way of doing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

So, I believe, was the Manchester Guardian.

26 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Oof, straight in there with the whataboutery. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Oof, straight in there with the whataboutery. 

Oof, straight in there with a silly put-down because someone’s dared to say something against the Left’s favourite newspaper.

Edited by Naturalcynic

12 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Oof, straight in there with a silly put-down because someone’s dared to say something against the Left’s favourite newspaper.

The only truly independent newspaper in the Uk that doesn’t have a political agenda pushed by it’s usually right wing owners, if you want the truth. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

It's not a stately home. Maybe stick to the topic?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Bristol Museum has a good explanation at the entrance telling you of where the funds came from, who the Wills family were and not sugar coating the history. I suppose it is the best way of doing it. 

Yep, that is precisely how to handle it. A well-curated museum that puts the history into context is a particularly good way of ensuring that the darker side of such affairs are appropriately handled.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

If they’re up front about it, don’t try to hide it and are prepared to discuss the implications, where’s the problem? Unlike people like The Reform Trust who want the National Trust to undertake a Stalinist rewrite of history and pretend our country never did anything wrong.

55 minutes ago, duke63 said:

The only truly independent newspaper in the Uk that doesn’t have a political agenda pushed by it’s usually right wing owners, if you want the truth. 

Independent, or just in the thrall of ideas pushed by those without a clue about money?

Peterborough cathedral is wonderful. I've been to a few cathedrals, but that's my favourite.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

13 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Independent, or just in the thrall of ideas pushed by those without a clue about money?

Peterborough cathedral is wonderful. I've been to a few cathedrals, but that's my favourite.

Not even the best cathedral in Cambridgeshire! Why are we taking about cathedrals?

4 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Not even the best cathedral in Cambridgeshire! Why are we taking about cathedrals?

They're big fancy buildings open to the public, much like palaces and stately homes, pedant.

Not saying it's the fanciest. I just really like the ambiance in there.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They're big fancy buildings open to the public, much like palaces and stately homes, pedant.

Not saying it's the fanciest. I just really like the ambiance in there.

I suppose any respite from the rest of Peterborough is welcome, patronising ****.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If anyone reads the Mail, Sun, Mirror, Express, Telegraph and thinks they are reading unbiased news then they really are sheep being led to slaughter. 
At least two of those mentioned spread propaganda from Nazi Germany (as did part of the Royal family) and I think one is still very much run by the same fascist family. 

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Mrs KG loves them and transports herself back to those eras. I prefer looking round the grounds and gardens rather than the houses themselves.

A bit of a trek for you but if you get a chance Arundel Castle has the best of both.

47 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Mrs KG loves them and transports herself back to those eras. I prefer looking round the grounds and gardens rather than the houses themselves.

That would be me as well, depending on the grounds. Been to Branitz Park in Germany twice, still not gone into the castle itself yet. Then again, Prince Hermann of Pückler-Muskau was easily one of the real characters of 19th century German history and a landscape gardener of considerable repute.

And in creating the gardens here, he decided to pay homage to his time in Egypt by having two earth pyramids made, one on land and the other in the middle of a lake dug out. The lake one is now his mausoleum with his ashes in an urn buried within it.

EDIT: Photos from late October 2022.

IMG_20221031_153826_524.jpg

IMG_20221031_152226_007.jpg

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I do guided tours of RicardoTowers for a very cheap rate. 

Guaranteed not built on the proceeds of slave trade.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I do guided tours of RicardoTowers for a very cheap rate. 

Guaranteed not built on the proceeds of slave trade.

I know you are an old ruin but do you have any outstanding features? 

Edited by keelansgrandad

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I know you are an old ruin but do you have any outstanding features? 

They all fell off.