Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Tony Springett- Our future number one striker?

Wouldn't mind seeing Placheta given a go up top, with the proviso we're actually playing Forshaw and another more circumspect midfielder (or Forshaw can point McLean to where he needs to be). Just whack them long and tell Przemek "chase anything we hit skywards and see what you can cause". And when he gets a bit tired, put Rowe there.

Yeah, the Norwich way it certainly isn't but if arguably the key two attackers in getting Wagner's primary style to work are out of the game for a bit, we need to be more solid in the middle, possibly sit a bit deeper to protect two glacially slow centre-halves and smack the leather off the ball for a bit.

9 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, according to Wagner he is pretty great.. First it was Gibbs should be our striker.Then it was Placheta. Now this? The striker debate is heating up clearly..

It was Nuñez as well last season, let's not forget. 

I'm sure Wagner doesn't genuinely believe that half of our squad would make good strikers, and it's that these comments are just made whenever we're short on numbers, which seems to be a regular occurrence judging by how often he says it.

Probably just trying to boost Springett's confidence after his bad miss at Fulham. Wagner seems a proponent of positive talk and there's nothing wrong with that.

Not sure Springett needs the boost, though. IMO it's not confidence he lacks, nor energy, nor stamina - it's technical ability.

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It was Nuñez as well last season, let's not forget. 

I'm sure Wagner doesn't genuinely believe that half of our squad would make good strikers, and it's that these comments are just made whenever we're short on numbers, which seems to be a regular occurrence judging by how often he says it.

To be fair, Nunez looks far better further forward than he does as a deep-lying playmaker as he's not quite sturdy enough in the tackle to do a job on his own in the deep. In fact, didn't Adam Brandon say on signing him that he really should be a number 10 or similar?

Springett is woeful with the impact of s soggy paper bag.

His presence on the bench always reminds me our lack of squad depth at the moment 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

To be fair, Nunez looks far better further forward than he does as a deep-lying playmaker as he's not quite sturdy enough in the tackle to do a job on his own in the deep. In fact, didn't Adam Brandon say on signing him that he really should be a number 10 or similar?

It is worth a go when he is fit. Last season though he never seemed to click with Pukki delaying passes all the time.

Strange player Nunez let’s hope he comes good this season. What I find odd is Wagner reluctance to use him off the bench this season particularly the Rotherham game. As he is maybe the only player we have capable off moments of individual magic.

18 minutes ago, For the future said:

The club needs to spend money on a decent striker in January next year or not get promoted to the Premier League 

A couple of good results will put us back on track, but thats a big if at the moment. But I dont disagree, but I believe Hwang given time (I know we dont have that luxury really) should come good. I just think he is woefully unfit.

2 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Springett is woeful with the impact of s soggy paper bag.

His presence on the bench always reminds me our lack of squad depth at the moment 

Yet you had a go at people criticising Hwang and he's 19 years older.

Credit to Springett to at least keeping up with Placheta to get on the end of the pass. Barnes tried that and ended up injuring his knee.

Springett isn't a striker never will be so I'm not sure what this soundbite from Wagner is all about really.

On 28/09/2023 at 10:24, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, according to Wagner he is pretty great.. First it was Gibbs should be our striker.Then it was Placheta. Now this? The striker debate is heating up clearly..

All this chat about midfielders filling striker voids fills me with dread. What is the current loan position, do we have any open slots to fill in if necessary? 

52 minutes ago, For the future said:

The club needs to spend money on a decent striker in January next year or not get promoted to the Premier League 

Wise words For the Future. 

15 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Sainz will become the second striker once he’s fit.

I think theres an argument where either Fassnacht or Sainz can play in behind a striker. I would prefer Fassnacht as Sainz has more pace on the wing.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yet you had a go at people criticising Hwang and he's 19 years older.

Credit to Springett to at least keeping up with Placheta to get on the end of the pass. Barnes tried that and ended up injuring his knee.

Springett isn't a striker never will be so I'm not sure what this soundbite from Wagner is all about really.

Hwang on a minute. Springett has gotten the last 20 of each game so far and looks like a headless chicken, the Korean lad has had far less time and a far harder paper round.

Springett is another one who would ideally be getting a loan spell and a lot more minutes somewhere else to develop his game. It doesn't serve either club or player to have so many raw rookies in the squad. But we're broke, so here we are.