Sign in to follow this  
Year of the tiger

City squad age

I’m aware that footballers keep themselves in better condition these days. However I do worry that, by November, 11 of our 25 man squad will be 30 plus. This does suggest an almost all or nothing approach this season as at least some will have to be replaced next season. I assume the thinking is that some of our u21 signings will replace (if prove to be good enough) but  it’s a bit of a gamble. 
certainly yesterday our aging central defence looked every day of their age against young quick attackers.

I also worry that 4 of our 25 are goalkeepers, take out our injuries & we do look threadbare

8 minutes ago, Year of the tiger said:

I’m aware that footballers keep themselves in better condition these days. However I do worry that, by November, 11 of our 25 man squad will be 30 plus. This does suggest an almost all or nothing approach this season as at least some will have to be replaced next season. I assume the thinking is that some of our u21 signings will replace (if prove to be good enough) but  it’s a bit of a gamble. 
certainly yesterday our aging central defence looked every day of their age against young quick attackers.

I also worry that 4 of our 25 are goalkeepers, take out our injuries & we do look threadbare

Journeymen aged 30+ on free transfers were all our budget would permit.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Our squad is too young and youthful it lacks any age or experience that's what we need to get promotion"

- Many people on here prior to this season

Probably said the same thing myself but a balance is needed.We’ve been here before in 2016/17 with an aging squad but we did have a couple of assets to sell & then we’re able to recruit from Europe

I wonder what our next Sporting Director/Director of Football will have to say about this current squad Webber will leave behind bearing in mind what the arrogant egotistical present incumbent said when he arrived about pi$$ing £100 million up the wall.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I wonder what our next Sporting Director/Director of Football will have to say about this current squad Webber will leave behind bearing in mind what the arrogant egotistical present incumbent said when he arrived about pi$$ing £100 million up the wall.

Indeed! If he wasn’t here at Norwich City we’d laugh at his 6 years tenure, after those comments…well at least we have a swimming pool, maybe they can open it to the public and generate more cash!

Edited by Indy

Free transfers but high wages.   Is Gibson still the highest earner?

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"Our squad is too young and youthful it lacks any age or experience that's what we need to get promotion"

- Many people on here prior to this season

I don’t think the players we’ve bought in are the problem. Duffy, Barnes and Stacey have been outstanding. Other than at Plymouth for the two that played. The problem seems to be with the ones we already had. 

Edited by By Hook or Ian crook
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

I don’t think the players we’ve bought in are the problem. Duffy, Barnes and Stacey have been outstanding. Other than at Plymouth for the two that played. The problem seems to be with the ones we already had. 

How very dare you make such blatantly true statements.  It doesn’t fit the current narrative so go and wash your mouth out.

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Like who specifically? 

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

How very dare you make such blatantly true statements.  It doesn’t fit the current narrative so go and wash your mouth out.

Well as you are resorting to sarcasm do you mean 5 year contract Idah and such as Gibson with the turning circle of an oil tanker ?

Crown jewels sold like Aarons and Omo and an addition like Hwang is the way forward i assume ?

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Haha 1

This continual bleating about Idah could well come back and bite you on the bum :classic_ohmy:

He's now got four goals at 88 MPG. They'll come a time where it won't be possible to excuse all his goals as 'flukes, not important or penalties'. It's time to get behind him and be proud.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

This continual bleating about Idah could well come back and bite you on the bum :classic_ohmy:

He's now got four goals at 88 MPG. They'll come a time where it won't be possible to excuse all his goals as 'flukes, not important or penalties'. It's time to get behind him and be proud.

Pretty much this, Idah did his job, pretty much the only one who did.

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Two of those four goals one of which was a penalty came when we were 5-0 down so pretty unimportant also.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Two of those four goals one of which was a penalty came when we were 5-0 down so pretty unimportant also.

That's what I said. I knew your reply before you made it.

That binner who seems to be revered by many on here also has 4 at 142 MPG.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

That's what I said. I knew your reply before you made it.

That binner who seems to be revered by many on here also has 4 at 142 MPG.

And of course everybody knows your responses to questions being raised relates to having a pop at posters. Don't worry us realists around here know who is in your gang. :classic_laugh:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Well as you are resorting to sarcasm do you mean 5 year contract Idah and such as Gibson with the turning circle of an oil tanker ?

Crown jewels sold like Aarons and Omo and an addition like Hwang is the way forward i assume ?

Well isn’t that clever - though isn’t it a bit feeble to answer points that weren’t being made rather than those that were?  Might make you feel big but it’s more likely to make you look a fool to anyone with any sense.

Just to reiterate, the comment was that it isn’t really the new players who let us down - Barnes, Duffy and Stacey have been excellent for us this season.

And picking on Idah here just seems pointless and unnecessary.

Well done.

Edited by Branston Pickle

35 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

And of course everybody knows your responses to questions being raised relates to having a pop at posters. Don't worry us realists around here know who is in your gang. :classic_laugh:

Well, it's not realistic to chuck Idah on the fire with the older guys...

Idah is doing OK, he’s linked up play, scored goals, Saturday was a lesson in changing a tired team, it’s a squad game! If the squad depth isn’t good enough then we will find out! But you can’t ask that first team to play 10 games in 5 weeks, we must write off the cup match and get first team experience and time on the pitch to those coming back from injuries and not worry about the result, Saturday is the important bounce back game!

I’m not sure those gunning for Wagner/ Webber will be so merciful on the midweek game!

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well isn’t that clever - though isn’t it a bit feeble to answer points that weren’t being made rather than those that were?  Might make you feel big but it’s more likely to make you look a fool to anyone with any sense.

Just to reiterate, the comment was that it isn’t really the new players who let us down - Barnes, Duffy and Stacey have been excellent for us this season.

Well done.

Thankyou.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well done.

I wouldn’t say excellent but certainly good and settled quickly. Barnes attitude will be missed.

5 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like who specifically? 

For me Dimi hasn’t grasped the LB spot like I’d hoped, I don’t rate Gibson and I don’t think he and Duffy should be in the same side given they are both very slow. If Idah is the answer what is the question? Hernandez sadly just runs a lot with no end product no matter how likeable he is. 

I will caveat Hwang and Fassnacht both had shockers too. 

18 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

For me Dimi hasn’t grasped the LB spot like I’d hoped, I don’t rate Gibson and I don’t think he and Duffy should be in the same side given they are both very slow. If Idah is the answer what is the question? Hernandez sadly just runs a lot with no end product no matter how likeable he is. 

I will caveat Hwang and Fassnacht both had shockers too. 

Fair enough. Don't know if we over-analyse things just because they are our players but they seem to be capable of really good things and pretty useless ones all in the same game. Dimi is a good example. Whether when you even it out they are just 'average'?

In my opinion I don't think Rowe has done much in the last 3 games either and seems to be a little lost since Sarge's injury.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Fair enough. Don't know if we over-analyse things just because they are our players but they seem to be capable of really good things and pretty useless ones all in the same game. Dimi is a good example. Whether when you even it out they are just 'average'?

In my opinion I don't think Rowe has done much in the last 3 games either and seems to be a little lost since Sarge's injury.

Whole team looks lost without Sarg to be fair. I think to get out of this league you need 7 players to be 7/10 every week and then 1 or two who you’ll get 9/10 or 10/10 every now and then. I think we have maybe 5 who you’d bet would be 7/10 most weeks and 1 or 2 who might put in a 8-10