Sign in to follow this  
Clifton Canary

To all those wanting to get rid of Worthy/the Board

Just some simple questions:Which current realistically available manager would you have instead? If you want to get rid of the manager you have to suggest alternatives.Likewise the Board. They have proved themselves to have a good mix of prudence (selling Ashton, who was desperate to leave, for a reasonable price) and ambition (blowing the budget on Huckerby) over the last few years. You can''t question their commitment to the club, although some of their official comments have lacked the input of a spin doctor. Who would you have instead - a few hard-nosed business men who just want a profit? Or perhaps some proven supporters with a few million to spare? It seems that we already have the latter option in place. And what if you worked hard and earned a small fortune - would you be prepared to sink large parts of it into Norwich City, knowing that you were not likely to get a good (or any) return on it.So come on - if not Worthy and our current board,  then who?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

instead of worthy:

Mike Newell
Phil Parkinson
Bobby Robson

I have done this too many times before: Any manager who playes passing attacking football.

Ideally George Burley if he has a spat with Southampton.

[/quote] Newell is in a job (Seems happy)

Parkinson is in a Job (seems happy)

Robson is too old

Gary Mcallister.

May not fancy it straight away as I believe his wife has recently passed away. But the summer may be a possibility.

He looked to be building good things while at Coventry. He would also play the game the correct way.

There are plenty of highly-rated up and coming managers around who would see NCFC as a massive opportunity. Personally i believe that an ambitious board would be able to tempt Boothroyd back from Watford if they fail to get promoted. The fact is NCFC HAVE got the potential to be a top 10 Premiership club (look at the amazing season ticket sales)-there is no way Watford have.

As regards the board it seems you have swallowed their attempts to airbrush certain facts out of history. Huckerby was paid for out of the SHARE ISSUE. And Ashton was only signed because the club had 1.2million more than budgetted for because fans didnt redeem the preference B shares. The board had previously refused to free up 2million th sign Peter Crouch, and instead sanctioned the signing of Gary Doherty to play up front!

Since promotion the club is actually around 3million IN PROFIT in the transfer market. That is despite 26million in tv money and parachute payments, 1.5million G.Watling written off loan money,1.1million from the hotel deal, continueing money from the phase 1 land deal, record season ticket/merchandising/catering sales etc. Despite all this we have carried one of the smallest squads in the league (with 4 goalkeepers!) which has regularly been hit hard by injuries and `splashed out` on largely average journeymen.

Ambition?? What an utter joke.

[quote user="Clifton Canary"]Just some simple questions:

Which current realistically available manager would you have instead? If you want to get rid of the manager you have to suggest alternatives.

Likewise the Board. They have proved themselves to have a good mix of prudence (selling Ashton, who was desperate to leave, for a reasonable price) and ambition (blowing the budget on Huckerby) over the last few years. You can''t question their commitment to the club, although some of their official comments have lacked the input of a spin doctor. Who would you have instead - a few hard-nosed business men who just want a profit? Or perhaps some proven supporters with a few million to spare? It seems that we already have the latter option in place. And what if you worked hard and earned a small fortune - would you be prepared to sink large parts of it into Norwich City, knowing that you were not likely to get a good (or any) return on it.

So come on - if not Worthy and our current board,  then who?

[/quote]Mark bowen would be hungry for success as a manager.

it doesn''t matter if they are in a job or not. im sure there would be a hell of a lot of interest from managers who are already employed by a club.

i think newell would leave to join us. just because he may be happy, it doesn''t mean he doesn''t have ambition to join a bigger club like norwich.

[quote user="city r us"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

instead of worthy:

Mike Newell
Phil Parkinson
Bobby Robson

I have done this too many times before: Any manager who playes passing attacking football.

Ideally George Burley if he has a spat with Southampton.

[/quote] Newell is in a job (Seems happy)

Parkinson is in a Job (seems happy)

Robson is too old

[/quote]

utter junk city r us and you know it...   Parkinson and Newell would move here in a shot... Newell actually spoke to leicester and sensilbly decided it would be a poor move, colchester get crowds of 5000.  As for too old, well you obviously come from the NW school of ageism.  There is no to old or too young anymore (unless you play for norwich city) just ask Theo Walcott and Dennis Wise.

Lets just keep our dour, negative hoofball manager whom hates talent and loves work rate, is tactically inept and cant motivate the players.  Worthy is no great manager, he is average at best and way past doing anything to improve NCFC.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

There are plenty of highly-rated up and coming managers around who would see NCFC as a massive opportunity. Personally i believe that an ambitious board would be able to tempt Boothroyd back from Watford if they fail to get promoted. The fact is NCFC HAVE got the potential to be a top 10 Premiership club (look at the amazing season ticket sales)-there is no way Watford have.

As regards the board it seems you have swallowed their attempts to airbrush certain facts out of history. Huckerby was paid for out of the SHARE ISSUE. And Ashton was only signed because the club had 1.2million more than budgetted for because fans didnt redeem the preference B shares. The board had previously refused to free up 2million th sign Peter Crouch, and instead sanctioned the signing of Gary Doherty to play up front!

Since promotion the club is actually around 3million IN PROFIT in the transfer market. That is despite 26million in tv money and parachute payments, 1.5million G.Watling written off loan money,1.1million from the hotel deal, continueing money from the phase 1 land deal, record season ticket/merchandising/catering sales etc. Despite all this we have carried one of the smallest squads in the league (with 4 goalkeepers!) which has regularly been hit hard by injuries and `splashed out` on largely average journeymen.

Ambition?? What an utter joke.

[/quote]Actually Huckerby WAS paid for by a share issuue which raised £300k ish - Delia and Michael had said they would double what the fans managed to put in. Which at £750k looks like they actually paid £150k more than the fans.Please look into how much debt the club was in before promotion - we know it was at least £15 million because we had taken a loan out of that amount to be paid back over 15 years or similar. I think you will find that a lot of the prem money was put to one side to pay that off in the installments we are required to pay. The loan and amount was made public information.£3million in proffit is not that much when you compare it to other clubs. To say that we have the potential to be a top ten club and are a top ten club are two completely different things. Ofcourse we have the potential but it is only the last three seasons where other clubs have actually seen that in us too and we have been able to get players here that are of a Premiership standard.Signing Ashton for me put everything in perspective. We needed him but we also needed anoth £2million + player in midfield and in defence and possibly elsewhere. If you can only afford the one player you are taking a gamble and the board took that risk with the knowledge that Ashton was young and reliable so should the worse happen which it did on the last day of the season we were always odds on to at least get the money back.It depends what you mean by ambition? I dont want caution thrown to the wind only to see the club smashed to pieces due to unessisary risks. There are plenty of other teams that are in a similar position to us and doing far worse.- Derby, Wolves(if you look at the money they have spent to get back), Southampton, Leicester etc.Some clubs have suffered more such as Man City, they went all of the way down and then all of the way back up. Sheff Wednesday, Bradford.I would also like to add that whilst the land deals are bringing in the money like with the parachute payments - they don''t come in lump sums, they will be paid over a period of time. And so as you can see although this money will be in our pockets in x amount of time they dont have it all now to throw around. And even if it were the case I think you will find that there are other things than just the squad and management that the money needs to be spent on.I think this season was always going to be tough and its just that a lot of fans didn''t see the writing on the wall that so many departures were going to mean so many more arrivals which would not just take time to settle in but also take time to play together as a team. Yes I do put some of that down to the management - take them out to be drilled by a millitary camp if it makes it any quicker - do something just get them playing together! I feel more could have been done on that front including letting some of the youngsters show the older pros how it is done.On that front I do feel more could have been done. As a club though I am happy with the overall progress. I thought Worthington would be another of those one season wonders when he took over, especially when you considered the people whos footsteps he fell into. If I had been told then that out of five seasons he would give us Championship survival, a play-off final, a title winning season, a season in the prem and two average (and better than the old average) seasons I would have taken it without a doubt.I''m not saying it is wrong to want more - ofcourse we all want to see this club back up there with the best. But you just have to accept that we are not the only club like that, there are 9 teams ahead of us that are also fighting for the same ambition and there are more behind us that want the same.Out of the 9 ahead of us how many are "smaller" and less ambitious than Norwich City? I would say none are less ambitious and that only three could be classed as smaller clubs.

Well i dont really know where to start Chicken, your argument is so full of holes it is unbelievable. I am afraid i dont know how to do a link but an article i just found on the EDP website states that the first share issue raised 2.4 million, the second (around the time of the Huckerby signing) 1.5 million with 500,000 being Delias money.

As far as the debt issue is concerned the club have catagorically stated that the Prem money was NOT used to pay significant sums back. When the first phase land deal was completed we were told it was to "pay for the new South Stand", yet the 6.5million from the land was payable over 3 years and the stand was paid for out of the restructured securitisation loan of 18million payable over (i believe) 25 years?? The debt is used as a massive scare tactic to placate the fans but the fact is it is an extremely manageable figure given that it is secured against assets (unlike Ipswich`s) and costs only around 1 million per year to service.

I think you well know that most of the clubs you mention have had horrendous financial problems in recent years and have none of the land deals (another one in the offing BTW) and Premiership money we are still enjoying. It is very interesting to note that Doncaster recently stated that banks would no longer lend money to fund player purchases. Within a few weeks Ipswich had "restructured" their debt to release money for team strengthening. Where theres a will theres a way perhaps?

I wonder if pushing the boat out and signing Crouch near the start of last season would have given us the extra point needed to stay up?? He nearly kept Southampton up and even then they made more money on him than we did on Ashton. I am sick of hearing that NCFC are following the Charlton model. Charlton and the likes of W.Brom STRENGTHENED when they got relegated and bounced straight back. Remember W.Brom outbidding us seemingly for every player we were in for a few seasons back? It is not the Charlton model to spend weeks haggling over bog-average players when better ones are being snapped up by clubs willing to go the extra mile, nor to go into the season with the smallest squad in the division (with 4 goalkeepers!) and a left back playing in central midfield! That is just shear complacency.

This is by a country mile the most lucrative period in the clubs history and as i have pointed out the clubs debt position is extremely sound and underpinned by valuable land. I maintain that within this context the clubs "efforts" in investing in a squad strong enough to bounce straight back have been an utter joke.

Paul Sturrock...

3 promotions with smaller clubs than us (2 with plymouth 1 with Sheffield wednesday)...

took relegation favourites to a comfortable finish and wasnt he also manager of their stint in Europe after Wee gordon took them to the cup final????

Its worth noting since he left the saints they dwindled into Delcine.. and Sheffield Wednesday, while not the richest of sides, can actually play football!

jas :)

the man who should have had the job years ago david williams, he had the job but mr chase took it away .Want to know more? contact me .

Thanks for the debate. Just two answers to all of your comments:Paul Sturrock - yes please, but not until NW has been given another season.Huckerby - it''s not just the transfer fee is it? Who''s paying his wages (still!) that are the largest in the club by a considerable distance, if rumours are true.

[quote user="Nigels Tic-Tacs"]

Nigel Worthington could not manage Blackpool and hes not fit to be Norwich manager , i hate the sight and sound of him the sooner he goes the better.

[/quote]

Very constructive

To me the whole who is available as a suitable replacement debate is a bit of a red herring.

Look at the club from the outside - we have a decent size support who back the side consistently, have a board that will rightly give the manager time to acheive success and money on which to build a winning squad.  The club has good facilities, relatively few financial concerns despite the size of debt and, I have no doubt, remains ambitious with realistic premiership ambitions.  That will attract several applicants, several we may not have thought of and interest those currently at other clubs looking for an opportunity for some success. 

Which is exactly what the Sunderland board have found;  with 48 hrs of sacking McCarthy they have been swamped with applicants and so can now cherry pick and that with a club with less available cash they we can raise and witha board with a pretty appalling track record at giving the manager time to succeed. 

We can speculate all we like about possible replacements;  but as with Worthy the next manager may not even be on the wish list of fans.    Yes, I have an opinion over who we should get but asmy main thrust is worthy appears to have run out of ideas on how to improve our play then I am happy to accept whoever the board chose from what would be a decent selection of candidates.   

Of course the better managers are all under contract.... But as several have said, this club (from a non City supporter''s hat on) is a very attractive place to be.  For those who don''t think so, I have it on good authority (The Chief Executive) that should the managerial position be advertised we would be swamped with applications and most of them would be quality managers.

The likes of Parkinson and Newell  would all consider this a step up and would apply, no question.  My only personal qualification would be someone who could get us back to playing decent football again..  Whoever he is, he will get time.  At least five years a minimum, it seems......