dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

Who remembers the Kingsway? For the younger ones, it was on the junction of Bracondale, King St and Carrow Road. I can't remember the name of the pub on the other side of the junction 

Screenshot_20230910_055050_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2db7d81fecdda80b045fa726c3aee123.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

"......and The Nest eventually became a victim of their success. Promotion to the old Second Division in 1934 saw crowds rise exponentially. Then City hosted giants Sheffield Wednesday (kids, ask granny) in the fifth round of the FA Cup in February 1935. A record 25,007 crowd bundled in........"

25k at the Nest!!!😬

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

The bogs in there were disgusting :classic_biggrin:

I had to hide in them when some Spurs fans attacked the pub. Not a pleasant experience 

54 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I had to hide in them when some Spurs fans attacked the pub. Not a pleasant experience 

I have a vague recollection of the pub being attacked by a group of fans.

I remember in the days before all day drinking was legalised they would draw the curtains for early kick offs, but only serve cans. 

3 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

norwich_jollymaltsters.jpeg

rb577.jpg.a1b8cf9a091ce1ac9fb7121870325a9c.jpg

Taken from another angle in 1983 apparently and you can see The Kingsway in the background.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Untitled.jpg.f4070e5d282bff1d8fc80159cf3f6101.jpg

Clarence Harbour which back in the day was mainly an away fans pub.

Used to know the bouncer there who saved me a parking space every week. What a dream - literally across the road from the Barclay.

8 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Who remembers the Kingsway? For the younger ones, it was on the junction of Bracondale, King St and Carrow Road. I can't remember the name of the pub on the other side of the junction 

Screenshot_20230910_055050_Facebook.thumb.jpg.2db7d81fecdda80b045fa726c3aee123.jpg

30+ years ago, as soon as the full-time whistle blew me an' a mate used to dash down the steps of the old Barclay an' straight out of the ground and run up to the Kingsway to watch the goals on an old colour TV which was mounted on top of a couple of beer crates an' sat atop a table in the bar to the left of that entrance door....

• Like 1

I was born round the corner from Carrow Bridge in King St (our house was opposite Reads Flour Mill). Not sure when the bridge last opened, when I was a kid growing up in that area the bridge opened all the time as Norwich was a busy inland port back then. I think Norfolk County Council wanted to weld the bridge shut to cut down on maintenance costs, last I heard that plan was shelved as there is a bylaw that says the bridge has to be able to open to river traffic..........

18 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I was born round the corner from Carrow Bridge in King St (our house was opposite Reads Flour Mill). Not sure when the bridge last opened, when I was a kid growing up in that area the bridge opened all the time as Norwich was a busy inland port back then. I think Norfolk County Council wanted to weld the bridge shut to cut down on maintenance costs, last I heard that plan was shelved as there is a bylaw that says the bridge has to be able to open to river traffic..........

Was the house right next to the bridge lived in then

19 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23379351.norwich-carrow-bridge-future-remains-unclear-amid-legal-row/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Was the house right next to the bridge lived in then

Yes it was, that was where the Harbourmaster lived. As kids we were often shouted at to stop whatever it was we were doing, from swimming off the Kingsway Caves to skimming stones and hitting the coasters moored along the river. Just down the river from the bridge next to the Queen of Iceni, going towards the Nelson is where the coasters used to turn round to head back towards Yarco........

• Like 1

I used to drink a bit further up King St. back in the 80's.

The Nags Head....I think it is called "The last pub standing" now. Or something similar, as it's the only pub left on the street. I was in there a few months ago, during my last visit to Norwich 

545834687_nagshead.JPG.5757ad58a051d0febabd7e3eae8b5329.JPG1432400256_nagshead1.jpg.17c845b62c186a49789c6203b6bec990.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant thread!

So many memories.

The bridge used to open a lot and Nortwich was quite a busy port. My nan used to have her hair done on Thorpe Road and while she was there my grandad would take me to have a look at what was gorn on up riverside. The big ships would be there with cranes unloading often timber but coal too. The ships would then turn where the wide corner bit of the river is. (I guess it has a name!) and the bridge would go up to let them back. I always hoped the bridge would be up...

I've got lots of pictures but can never find them (not mine but pics I've saved for reminiscnce.) There is this one..

And this link has some great 'then and now' pictures...

https://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/thenandnow4.html

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2